Chain Tensioner again!

Richie612

Hello guys another tensioner question :rolleyes:.

Since taking a link out of the chain so it wasn't as loose I've encountered another issue with the tensioner (Trialtech).

The instructions via the Inspired booklet is pretty vague on the adjustment.

My issue is when I use the bike for a short while the chain goes slack again.

The source of the problem is the spring tension.

When I push on the lower jockey wheel so it moves closer to the Chainstay (as you do to remove the chain) there isn't much force applied to the chain when I release the jockey wheel resulting in the chain going slack again.

I know the spring tension needs to be increased but I'm buggered on how to do it.

Rich 

From the picture you posted in the other topic you just need to rotate the tensioner around a little bit.

1. take the chain off

2. undo pinch bolt that holds the steel rod

3. rotate tensioner as far back as it can go

4. re-tighten pinch bolt

5. re-fit chain

6. ride, be happy, no more tensioner topics ;-)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ben_travis said:

From the picture you posted in the other topic you just need to rotate the tensioner around a little bit.

1. take the chain off

2. undo pinch bolt that holds the steel rod

3. rotate tensioner as far back as it can go

4. re-tighten pinch bolt

5. re-fit chain

6. ride, be happy, no more tensioner topics ;-)

I'll give this a try mate thank you. Tensioner mounting bracket is a little bent towards the Chainstay from an over ambitious up to rear fail but there's one on order from Tarty.

Thanks for your help.

Rich 

to complicate things I use a different technique which I find can potentially give more tension (to the point of breaking it so be careful).

1. With the chain still on undo the pinch bolt that holds the steel rod

2. use a small screwdriver or anything thin that fits between the rod and the tensioner and use it to lever the rod around (see diagram)

3. when desired tension is achieved, re-tighten the pinch bolt

4. ride and forget about Ben's version

tensioner tensioning tension tenshionagram.jpg

13 hours ago, Richie612 said:

The instructions via the Inspired booklet is pretty vague on the adjustment.

A bike with a brand new chain would need a different level of tension to the same bike with a week old chain would need a different level of tension to the same bike with a year old chain - it's not possible to have an "Angle the tensioner to X°" thing because of that. 

39 minutes ago, Mark W said:

A bike with a brand new chain would need a different level of tension to the same bike with a week old chain would need a different level of tension to the same bike with a year old chain - it's not possible to have an "Angle the tensioner to X°" thing because of that. 

Totally understand Mark and that was my initial observation since I removed a link from the chain, then tried to account for this difference with the tensioner :D

13 hours ago, Ali C said:

to complicate things I use a different technique which I find can potentially give more tension (to the point of breaking it so be careful).

1. With the chain still on undo the pinch bolt that holds the steel rod

2. use a small screwdriver or anything thin that fits between the rod and the tensioner and use it to lever the rod around (see diagram)

3. when desired tension is achieved, re-tighten the pinch bolt

4. ride and forget about Ben's version

tensioner tensioning tension tenshionagram.jpg

Thanks for your advice Ali, much appreciated. I've enclosed a further diagram with two areas circled.

When you say steel rod, I imagine that's a type of stopper so the tensioner reaches a certain limit. Now I've had a tinker with that but it seems to be fixed somehow. Undoing the hex bolt did nothing except loosen the head but the rod stayed in position.

Another bolt I've circled which is above the steel rod, what does that do?

At first I thought it was some kind of retaining pin or grub screw but again I undid it and it seems to be doing not much at all. 

Rich 

607c8aaf0bc1c_tensionertensioningtensiontenshionagram.jpg.93363ea3d93292c1d74d7d53cb37454d_LI.jpg