Jump to content

Which chain? [2019 Fourplay Team]


Rip
 Share

Recommended Posts

I want to buy a new chain, according to the following link my bike was supposed to have a KMC Z610 chain from new: https://www.trial-bikes.com/en/bicicleta-inspired-fourplay-team-24-p-538357.html

I bought the bike used and I've just had a look at the chain and the lettering on it: KMC Z1e 9D NARROW

51153043219_5186321bf8_o.jpg

So, do I currently have the following e-bike chain fitted?

Is my current chain this?: https://www.kmcchain.eu/chain-KMC_Z_Series_for_e_Bike_Narrow_BZ1eN#Z1eHX_Narrow_Silver_BZ1ENNP12

And do I need this instead (Z series 1/2 x 3/32 Narrow)?: https://www.kmcchain.eu/chain-KMC_Z_Series_BZ1#Z1_Narrow_EPT_BZ1NEPT12+narrow

The KMC Website does not seem to list a Z610 as per the bikes original spec?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That link for TrialBikes is just a link that has the full spec for the '19 Fourplay which I use for reference, I'll order the chain from Tarty. I need tyres too and I still need to conquer setting up tubeless so ordering a chain quickly became a nearly £300 shopping cart so I held off for a minute as I've already spent a small fortune this weekend on other things. 

Edited by Rip
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard that the 610 was going away, but there are still plenty of them available here in the States. I tried one of the newer Z1eHX and it's definitely beefier than the 610, but the 610 looks better. I'll stick with the 610 as long as i can find them.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

I heard that the 610 was going away, but there are still plenty of them available here in the States. I tried one of the newer Z1eHX and it's definitely beefier than the 610, but the 610 looks better. I'll stick with the 610 as long as i can find them.

 

Beefier gives a little more confidence it won't snap :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1370kg max load rating for the Z1eHX compared to the 1200kg max load rating for the Z610 HX should give you a bit more confidence too. It is a stronger chain overall.

That said, all chains will eventually snap, so it's best to replace them periodically (depending on how much you ride).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mark W said:

The 1370kg max load rating for the Z1eHX compared to the 1200kg max load rating for the Z610 HX should give you a bit more confidence too. It is a stronger chain overall.

That said, all chains will eventually snap, so it's best to replace them periodically (depending on how much you ride).

Cool. As I bought the bike 2nd hand I'm keen to put a new chain on asap really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2021 at 11:05 PM, Richie612 said:

Don't just buy one chain mate, get a few at a time as it'll ensure you have a good years supply if everything goes tits up again with supply. 

Rich 

I'm not going down that road or I'll end up with a garage full of spare parts like some kind of an F1 Team or something :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, MaderaMark said:

what about 710 and 810, any drawbacks? 610 also not easy to spot here in my area (Macau SAR)

 

Don't do it.

Just get the Z1eHX. Chains are not a component with which you want to be dabbling in inferior products.
I personally had a lot more issues with the more curvy chains like those.

610 is no longer made. It was replaced by the Z1e.

It is possible to but a Z1e or a Z1eHX. Be certain to get the Z1eHX type. It means it's been heat treated and makes it MUCH stronger, and stretches far less.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aener said:

Don't do it.

Just get the Z1eHX. Chains are not a component with which you want to be dabbling in inferior products.
I personally had a lot more issues with the more curvy chains like those.

610 is no longer made. It was replaced by the Z1e.

It is possible to but a Z1e or a Z1eHX. Be certain to get the Z1eHX type. It means it's been heat treated and makes it MUCH stronger, and stretches far less.

 

seems like 610 were really hard to find now. The Z1eHX indeed available but confused on the price.
by the way, how about these Izumi chains as another options?

gold-medal-clipart-png-11552725142uftaaveo53.png

TB2_Po2ih9YBuNjy0FfXXXIsVXa_!!2086782969.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...