170 vs 175 mm cranks lengths

javimic

Hello everyone!

I recently damaged my crankset (almost cry) that I run on my fourplay (descendant truvativ 175mm with 22t - 16 gear ratio) The standard Fourplay Team 2020. Now I have to replace them and saw Duncan or Ali c run 170mm. I don't know what the point of view is. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-08 at 19.48.51.jpeg

For trials use it is mostly personal preference. 170 is stiffer and lighter just by way of lever length and your legs travel a shorter distance per revolution. 175 offers greater torque, but might not fit some trials frames or rub under hard kicks. Whenever you find yourself debating 170 vs 175, just remember Charlie Rolls uses 165s.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, isitafox said:

A lot of people run 170's on a 24, just personal preference really. 

Not quite sure what the gear ratio Ali uses on his Hex has to do with your 4play though? 

I really don't know, but having the choice of 175mm they run 170. In both cases they run 170 with different gear ratios  and bikes. I want to say, independent of ratio or bikes they chose 170 mm length arm crank.  I didn't know why. (At least in their 2019 bikes.) thanks for your answer.:D

15 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Is it just the pedal thread you have damaged? It can be repaired. This is your best option at the moment.

Adam! Nice to read you again. Unfortunately I damaged the thread on the crank arm. The pedal wasn't tightened enough and I didn't realize it in time. I didn't find repair kits like the one from Unior nor do I know if it's an option for Trials. The quickest option is to get a new crankset (here in Argentina it's the only compatible spare part of the whole bike. If I damaged another thing I had to contact Tarty once more -with pleasure-). In this case, I found the Sram GX Eagle to replace the beloved Truvativ Descendant 7k ... -_-

8 hours ago, Swoofty said:

For trials use it is mostly personal preference. 170 is stiffer and lighter just by way of lever length and your legs travel a shorter distance per revolution. 175 offers greater torque, but might not fit some trials frames or rub under hard kicks. Whenever you find yourself debating 170 vs 175, just remember Charlie Rolls uses 165s.

Thanks mate. I have to replace them and was a curiosity, to learn something from the community. Clearly 5 mm won't change nothing for me.  The demigod charly rolls can uses 100 mm  if he wants haha.:D

3 hours ago, javimic said:

...here in Argentina it's the only compatible spare part of the whole bike.

Completely off topic, but how's the trials scene in Argentina? I bet you guys have some epic MTB trails.

14 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Completely off topic, but how's the trials scene in Argentina? I bet you guys have some epic MTB trails.

The Trials Riders community here is very small. I only know some names from Córdoba -province- and the City of Buenos Aires, respectively. And the street trial riders are even fewer. In Mar del Plata, the city where I live, I never saw a trials rider and I always ride alone. I think I have the only Inspired Fourplay in the country. There are no other brands either. There is no official trials bike store in the country , so any accessory or component must be purchased abroad. Fortunately, the global community of trial riders is very supportive - and this impressive forum is an example - and online stores also give a big hand when you need help. I had great experiences with Tarybikes. I think it's a good mix of the small number of riders (relative to other disciplines like road or mtb) and the values of the sport in general.
On the opposite side we have bmx (@malignobmx), mtb in Patagonia or dirt jump (@dirtworldflyparknqn). I would like to have this last dirt jumping park in my city ...:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:43 PM, javimic said:

The Trials Riders community here is very small. I only know some names from Córdoba -province- and the City of Buenos Aires, respectively. And the street trial riders are even fewer. In Mar del Plata, the city where I live, I never saw a trials rider and I always ride alone. I think I have the only Inspired Fourplay in the country. There are no other brands either. There is no official trials bike store in the country , so any accessory or component must be purchased abroad. Fortunately, the global community of trial riders shareit apk is very supportive - and this impressive forum is an example - and online stores also give a big hand when you need help. I had great experiences with Tarybikes. I think it's a good mix of the small number of riders (relative to other disciplines like road or mtb) and the values of the sport in general.
On the opposite side we have bmx (@malignobmx), mtb in Patagonia or dirt jump (@dirtworldflyparknqn). I would like to have this last dirt jumping park in my city ...
:D

Yes, a friend of mine in Cordoba told me that. I too have been to cardoba several times, a better place for street rail riders.:)

Edited by GumiMA
  • Like 1