Chain wear indicator, useful on trials bikes?

javimic

Here Javi, 

Is the chain wear indicator tool useful to know when we have to change the chain on our trials bike? The recommendation is to replace it every 6 months. I still  run the original chain (KMC z610hx) after 9 months of intense riding but if I measure the chain with the tool it seems to be fine. Not stretched.

What to do?

:D

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-08 at 21.17.47.jpeg

Chains are a hot topic of late. You said it yourself, you should change the chain at least every 6 months if you actually ride. Every 3 months isn't out of the ordinary. Chains are very reasonably priced for what trials riders need so there's no reason to skimp on this. I cannot stress enough that breaking a chain while riding trials can be a LIFE CHANGING experience.

As for chain stretch, I have one of those things too, but I change my chain before it tells me I need to. They're nice for multi geared bikes and people who only ride occasionally because a stretched chain will ruin your drivetrain; multi gear or single speed. If your drivetrain includes one of those expensive Inspired 22t with integrated bash, you'd much rather replace a chain twice a year than one of those every year (plus the chain!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Chains are a hot topic of late. You said it yourself, you should change the chain at least every 6 months if you actually ride. Every 3 months isn't out of the ordinary. Chains are very reasonably priced for what trials riders need so there's no reason to skimp on this. I cannot stress enough that breaking a chain while riding trials can be a LIFE CHANGING experience.

As for chain stretch, I have one of those things too, but I change my chain before it tells me I need to. They're nice for multi geared bikes and people who only ride occasionally because a stretched chain will ruin your drivetrain; multi gear or single speed. If your drivetrain includes one of those expensive Inspired 22t with integrated bash, you'd much rather replace a chain twice a year than one of those every year (plus the chain!)

Very clear. I didn't mention the replacement time every 3-6 months because it seemed extreme to me, but it's exactly what the guys at Tartybikes recommend. I'll take your healthy advice: stop skimping on this :D . Thanks mate.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 19.33.05.jpeg

19 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Solía cambiar mi cadena cada vez que cambiaba de bicicleta, y supongo que la pongo cada 6 meses. No es el mantenimiento más rentable, ¡pero siempre mantuvo las cosas frescas! :lol:

2 weeks ago a colleague snapped his chain and he got off easy ... lucky ... because it could have been a horror show ... :blink:

6 months seems to be the ideal mate

• 3 months later...

about the chains, periodical replacement is very reasonable. But sometimes, things beome tricky when someone gave you a new and bit expensive chain (kmc 710sl) and that was last 2017. Never had any breaks on these chains compared to ybn than had make multiple breakd in just 3 months. What I did is install (DIY) spring loaded chain tensioner, wheels slammed, chain stretch not noticeable and as of now, still rolls fine for me.

IMAG0550.jpg