Anyone know anything about Magura's eSTOP disc brake pads?

Rip

Noticed Magura now has some Green Sport disc brake pads that seem to be oriented for e-bikes but looking at the chart below they sit between the Blue Comfort pads and the Grey Performance pads with regards to Bite. I currently use the Blue Comfort pads in my MT7's as I can actually modulate them which is something I have trouble with with the Grey Performance pads so I would like to try these Green Sport pads out.

51169447847_d9c4be145d_o.png

The only problem being I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the pads on their own, they either seem to come bundled with Magura's MT5 eStop calipers or as part of an e-bike upgrade kit which comprises of discs and pads to upgrade your existing MT brakes to be more suitable for e-bike use;

So, two questions:

1. Do these Green Sport pads have to be used with accompanying eSTOP discs?

2. Can you actually buy just the Green Sport pads anywhere in MT5 fitment?

You can use those pads with any rotors, they're not specific to their eStop rotors. Magura are just jazzing their same old stuff up by putting 'E-' on it, so don't stress that aspect of it. The MT5 eStop calipers are the MT5 calipers (are the MT7 calipers...).

The only thing I would say is I'd take those Magura 'graphs' with a pinch of salt. The eStop pads are basically made to be hard wearing, and there's inevitably a trade-off with performance to achieve that, so unless you particularly want less outright performance I wouldn't really change to them.

23 minutes ago, Mark W said:

You can use those pads with any rotors, they're not specific to their eStop rotors. Magura are just jazzing their same old stuff up by putting 'E-' on it, so don't stress that aspect of it. The MT5 eStop calipers are the MT5 calipers (are the MT7 calipers...).

The only thing I would say is I'd take those Magura 'graphs' with a pinch of salt. The eStop pads are basically made to be hard wearing, and there's inevitably a trade-off with performance to achieve that, so unless you particularly want less outright performance I wouldn't really change to them.

Thank you. Well I run the Comfort sissy pads at the minute and even they are performance enough for my current level of riding, I just think it would be nice to have a tiny bit more bite in the rear just in case I need it as I'm sure I've felt the rear slip a little when landing some higher (for me) drops or 'ups' to back wheel. So far I've found their graph to be pretty good, but I've only tried the Performance and Comfort pads and have only really tested the Bite and Noise aspects of them (the Comfort pads really are comfortable, completely silent and smooth modulation). So, can you actually buy these Green Sport pads anywhere on their own do you know? Surely they must be available as a spare/consumable part otherwise you'd be buying whole new brake setups when your pads wear out, mind you your levers probably would have either worn away or exploded by the time your pads have worn out anyway :lol:

Edited by Rip

Looks like maybe these sport pads are only available in the 4x smaller pad fitment type rather than the 2x bigger pads. Like others I've found the 2x larger pads to have much less (pretty much none) pad rock. Maybe I'll get a set anyway and see how they are.

Yeah, it does seem like they're only 8.S at the moment. The way Magura's codes work are that the '8' pads are the MT7s with the '9' pads being the MT5s, so you'd be looking for the 9.S pads. May be worth doing the odd search for "Magura Disc Pads 9.S" from time to time and seeing if they pop up, but it looks like they may only be offering them as an 'upgrade' to MT7-style pads.

Just now, Mark W said:

Yeah, it does seem like they're only 8.S at the moment. The way Magura's codes work are that the '8' pads are the MT7s with the '9' pads being the MT5s, so you'd be looking for the 9.S pads. May be worth doing the odd search for "Magura Disc Pads 9.S" from time to time and seeing if they pop up, but it looks like they may only be offering them as an 'upgrade' to MT7-style pads.

Yes thank you I did figure out Magura's coding system a while back and I have been searching for 9.S already but came up empty. I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to go with the 8.S fitment for now, it'll still allow me to test them out just fine.