[Bristol] Any noob friendly locations?

Rip

I'm heading to Bristol city centre in a few weeks with a mate of mine so it would be handy to know of some spots ahead of time so we don't waste too much time scouting. We're both on street trials bikes and can only up-to-back wheel comfortably about 2 foot high so we're after some 40 year old born again trials rider friendly locations if anyone knows of any?

Edited by Rip

Disclaimer: It's been years since I rode trials, let alone Bristol, but I spent some time there at uni.

The usual "Bristol ride" route used to look something like

- Castle Park has a good mix of low and higher walls
- Around the corner to "mini Lloyds" (opposite Tesco Express) where there's another little wall that maxes out about bar height so you can use different sections of it depending on your skills
- Bearpit roundabout had a selection of height walls and boxes.
- Not sure what's accessible in the centre itself these days, but there used to be a handful of planters and walls with benches that catered for everyone
- Lloyds itself (the big amphitheatre looking place by the river you'll recognise from most RJ videos) will give a few options
- Across the water from Lloyds you've got the train lines and surrounding features.
- Down towards Cumberland Basin (under/next to the flyover, looking up at Clifton susp. bridge) for whatever blocks and bits were about.

On top of that, you've got a few skateparks and some less frequented spots.

There was always loads of fun to be had off the beaten track but people always seemed a bit reluctant to explore. If you're short on time then that's fair enough, but if you find yourselves back regularly or for a few days then go off-piste.

Get yourself onto Youtube (or just search the videos section here) and you'll probably get a reasonable feel for things. Chuck up screenshots of anywhere in particular you like the look of and I'm sure we can tell you where to find it (Y)

14 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Disclaimer: It's been years since I rode trials, let alone Bristol, but I spent some time there at uni.

The usual "Bristol ride" route used to look something like

- Castle Park has a good mix of low and higher walls
- Around the corner to "mini Lloyds" (opposite Tesco Express) where there's another little wall that maxes out about bar height so you can use different sections of it depending on your skills
- Bearpit roundabout had a selection of height walls and boxes.
- Not sure what's accessible in the centre itself these days, but there used to be a handful of planters and walls with benches that catered for everyone
- Lloyds itself (the big amphitheatre looking place by the river you'll recognise from most RJ videos) will give a few options
- Across the water from Lloyds you've got the train lines and surrounding features.
- Down towards Cumberland Basin (under/next to the flyover, looking up at Clifton susp. bridge) for whatever blocks and bits were about.

On top of that, you've got a few skateparks and some less frequented spots.

There was always loads of fun to be had off the beaten track but people always seemed a bit reluctant to explore. If you're short on time then that's fair enough, but if you find yourselves back regularly or for a few days then go off-piste.

Get yourself onto Youtube (or just search the videos section here) and you'll probably get a reasonable feel for things. Chuck up screenshots of anywhere in particular you like the look of and I'm sure we can tell you where to find it (Y)

Perfect thank you, that's more than enough to get us started for sure. We don't live too far away (Stroud/Gloucester area) so we'll definitely be back regular for some off piste exploration :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 23/05/2021 at 11:04 AM, Rip said:

Any secret tips for parking for the day that doesn't cost 3 million quid?

Bit late, but I used to live in Bedminster - you can park on street at the weekend there, look at William Street / Whitehouse Street area, it's about a 5 or 10 minute walk to some of the spots Luke mentioned. It's free at weekends and after 5pm in the week :)