Paint stripper

isitafox

Powdercoat will need dichloromethane based which is illegal to use unless you're certified etc etc. DCM was the active ingredient in old nitromores and was banned for domestic use by the EU. Minimum of gloves, goggles unless you like chemical burns :)
Anodising should come off with a caustic solution.

1 hour ago, forteh said:

DCM was the active ingredient in old nitromores and was banned for domestic use by the EU.

If there's one tiny little positive to Brexit, surely reintroducing the one thing that made paint stripper strip paint to bloody paint stripping products should be it... 

Edit: Just looked on the petitions.parliament website and the current most popular petition is "Allow non-professional singing in groups of more than six indoors". People have some weird priorities. Paint stripper all the way.

• Like 2

Don't be rediculous!

To be fair, it's pretty nasty stuff, stings when you get it in your eyes :)

Perhaps Dave can set up his own stripping business that incorporates some form of calisthenics in order to be able to legally buy the stuff?

• Like 2

Just now, forteh said:

Don't be rediculous!

To be fair, it's pretty nasty stuff, stings when you get it in your eyes :)

Perhaps Dave can set up his own stripping business that incorporates some form of calisthenics in order to be able to legally buy the stuff?

I remember opening a can of the old nitromors at work one night and it spat out the lid into my eye. 

Was wearing contacts at the time so i absolutely shat myself and nearly drowned holding my head under a tap for about 5 minutes to wash it out :lol:

Pfft, just blink a few times, it soon stops burning :)

I stripped an old bmx frame when I was a teenager, had been painted at least 34 times and I spent hours at it with DCM nitromors and a wire brush in a drill, took ages to clean all the ejected bits of stringy, soggy, molten plastic off everything in the workshop :D

I've used Starchem Synstrip with great results in the past - was arguably better than the old Nitromors formula. I bought a 5l container of it years ago and still have ~3l left now, but used it more recently and it's not so potent as when it was new so presumably that's my fault for letting it go off.

Pretty sure it's the same stuff @Tom Booth tried to send me in the post and got fisted for by Mi5, so wouldn't surprise me if if contains DCM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I've used Starchem Synstrip with great results in the past - was arguably better than the old Nitromors formula. I bought a 5l container of it years ago and still have ~3l left now, but used it more recently and it's not so potent as when it was new so presumably that's my fault for letting it go off.

Pretty sure it's the same stuff @Tom Booth tried to send me in the post and got fisted for by Mi5, so wouldn't surprise me if if contains DCM.

Another vote for Starchem! I agree that it seems as good if not better than old Nitromoors and given enough time will get through even the most stubborn powder coating (and skin as my burn scars prove...this stuff doesn't hold back so be careful)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

The illicit DCM dealer of TF supplied me the goop to strip the old powdercoat off my intense frame as well, cant recall what it was though :)

7 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Starchems good or this stuff, this stuff is pretty evil...

https://paintman.co.uk/shop/paint-stripper-strip-away-pro-professional-users-only/

I use the strip away pro at work and there's not much it won't tackle.

"Please note that all purchasers of Strip Away Pro will need to sign a one off acknowledgement/disclaimer sheet acknowledging the receipt of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and a statement explaining the Health and Safety requirements for the use of this product.  Even if purchased it will not be despatched until the acknowledgement sheet has been returned.  This instruction is a requirement of EU regulations dating back to 2005 and sadly cannot be varied."

Sounds f**king lethal! :lol: