Disc brake honk fix?

Rip

Had the rotors and pads a while (few months), all bedded in nicely and both the front and back work absolutely fine, lots of holding power, no contamination etc but the front has developed a honk seemingly out of nowhere. It honks when the brake is partially on (anything from 10% power to 60% power) and goes quiet again when more pressure is applied. I can feel vibration in the rotor while it's honking which goes quiet if I touch it. 

For reference the rear brake is completely silent and has the exact same setup as the front (MT7 Calipers, HC Storm Rotors and Magura MT5 style Blue Comfort Pads) and the front was also fine up until recently so it's not just a case of the kit I have will honk and that's it, I know they can run silently (like the rear one does) so something is causing it. 

Rotor is true, caliper alignment over the rotor seems good and as far as I can see the pads are not rubbing as the wheel spins freely. I've also made sure the caliper mounting bolts and rotor mounting bolts are tight. 

Any ideas or tips and tricks to rid me of the honk?

Edited by Rip

Just to add I just put some gorilla tape on the back of my pads to see if that would create a damping effect but it made no difference. In fact adding the tape has made my brake feel spongy so if that doesn't go away after the tapes been squashed a bit more during use then I'll be taking it off again. 

Think I may have 'fixed' it. I swapped the front and rear pads with eachother and it seems to have gone away. Bit weird and a bit annoying that I don't know what caused it but I'll take it for now. Now have a spongy rear brake due to the Gorilla tape so we'll see how that pans out. 

Could have been a glaze on the pads from long, slow braking. The water trick will sort that or you can run the pads lightly over sandpaper (or flat cement in a pinch) to break the glaze. Usually the glaze will go away on its own with trials use unless you do more long brake drags that re-glaze the pads. 

Or it could have been something completely different. Glad you got it sorted.

• Like 1