Which levers for Shigura?

Rip

I'm in the early planning stages of switching my Magura levers to Shimano levers, I've not had much experience with Shimano levers so I don't really have any idea which ones would work best with MT7 calipers. From my limited knowledge I've narrowed it down to:

Shimano Zee (Servo Wave) (Not sure what year/model number)

Shimano XT (Servo Wave) (Not sure what year/model number)

The Only things I'm really bothered about apart from the increased durability over the Magura levers is ease of bleeding, decent modulation (hence the interest in Servo Wave) and more importantly some adjustment because I need the bite point where I like it. 

Also am I correct in assuming the following is needed for a Shigura setup:

Hoses = Magura

Barbs = Shimano (specific to the lever)

Olives = Magura

Oil = Shimano Mineral or Royal Blood

Edited by Rip

12 minutes ago, Dazza1414 said:

This may be of some help

I've actually watched that already, thank you. It's a good video for showing the process and the bleed. Just need to know which levers would be best for me. 

• Like 1

I'm using the Saint-m820 levers with an MT4 caliper on the front and an MT5 caliper on the rear. Best brakes I've had so far. (and I came from full Saint M810s)
A friend of mine has XT levers with MT5 calipers. They feel the same as mine.
The best thing in addition to the amazing modulation is that there's less lever travel before the pads contact, compared to the Shimano calipers I had, so you can run them closer to the bars and still not hit your fingers.

I think the Saint lever blades are a little thicker than SLX. (Ali C snapped an SLX in a video) The Zee blades look just as thick in the images though, so that sounds like a good combination of value and durability.

Edited by Max F
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Rip said:

...decent modulation (hence the interest in Servo Wave)...

The only thing I'd say with that is that it'll take some getting used to. Because it's more of a progressive increase in power as you move the lever through the stroke rather than linear, you do need to re-learn how the brake adds power in a way. It's obviously fairly subtle in the sense that you don't necessarily consciously think about exactly how much force you're applying, but something to consider if that is something you're concerned about. It's part of the reason that people used to say that Shimano's brakes were 'too powerful' for mountain biking as they thought they went from a bit of power to allofthepower really quickly. 

I'd also say I'm not sure that the Shimano levers are easier to bleed as such. Although most aspects of the Magura levers are turd, the ability to do a really quick top-up bleed with just a simple syringe and some mineral oil is handy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Max F said:

I think the Saint lever blades are a little thicker than SLX. (Ali C snapped an SLX in a video)

Think that's the one he snapped in Cardiff? If so, he just bent it doing a hook and it snapped. It wasn't even through a crash or anything. In fairness, it is what they're designed to do there, but it would put me off using that particular lever I think.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mark W said:

The only thing I'd say with that is that it'll take some getting used to. Because it's more of a progressive increase in power as you move the lever through the stroke rather than linear, you do need to re-learn how the brake adds power in a way. It's obviously fairly subtle in the sense that you don't necessarily consciously think about exactly how much force you're applying, but something to consider if that is something you're concerned about. It's part of the reason that people used to say that Shimano's brakes were 'too powerful' for mountain biking as they thought they went from a bit of power to allofthepower really quickly. 

That's going to be one of those things that you just have to try to see how you get on I guess. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone !

I am currently considering the Shigura option ....
Mt5 lever is a lot flimsy. The blade lever pin i don't know why tends to goes out ... and i don't really trust it. But braking power is nice.

I am considering using a xt lever. But after reading here that they are fragile, i am wondering...

As i can't find a really clear answer, have some people this day, more ideas about which lever can't be good and trusted with these magura MT calipers.

Maybe a stupid question, but anyone has use an other thing than shimano's levers?

Thanks !

10 hours ago, Private Repress said:

Shimano zee levers work well for me

Le blade seems quite similar to the xt blade though ...
I've looked for improved spare blade, i've cam accross this : https://flomotorsports.com/products/copy-of-beta-brake-lever-1

But i don't know if it worth a thing, and it is not availabe.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:04 AM, Rip said:

What made you switch back?

Sorry for the very late reply! I switched back because of the return speed of the MT5 lever over the Shimano and I felt that the MT5 lever had more top end power than the Shigura setup. I've had zero problems over the years with my MT5s so I didn't have any complaints to start with. I did a vid on my Shigura experience here: (the Shigura bit starts at 10:11 or so)

• 3 weeks later...

So i finally tried it. Thus i currently use Magura MT5 caliper, with Magura hose and 160 rotor (back of a 20 inch bike) and a Shimano xt lever.
It seems to have more top end power and indeed it's a bit more on/off.... or it seems to be due to the way it operates.

But i a have que question for those who would know....  is this shigura xt+MT5 supposed to have a firmer touch than the genuine mt5/mt7 ?
Because it brake a lot, but even when the wheel is locked you the lever doesn't feel very firm/stiff....
Is it "normal" or may have i made a bad bleeding ?

Thanks !

With zee levers and the MT5 callipers mine lock, then continue to flex. I’ve ran maguras for a long time now across many bikes and feel I’m competent and bleeding them. It took a few bleeds to reduce the sponge feel somewhat, however some does remain. My take is that you can’t completely get rid of it. 

• Like 1

I bled it again today, i will have a ride and see...
But it still not feel very firm.. but it brakes a lot.....i will try to get use to it.
Anyways, magura mt5 depends on where you buy it can be a quite cheap way to have a brake that brakes a lot.
It also seems that any brakes/setup have its drawbacks ...

For me the MT5 was fine, but the pin that hold the blade was constantly moving out of its "housing" (i really don't know why...)...and this is not very reassuring....

• 3 months later...

Anyone have tips for bleeding  Shigura the right way ?
I use it for month now.
But i can bleed it correctly. The distance between the lever and the handlebar may vary a bit.
And the main issue is : when i carry my bike in the car, lying on the side for a long time, when i take it out of the car for a ride, the lever can hit the handlebar. If i press the lever several times it become "ok" again.
I don't understand why ??? I tried to follow some instruction found the internet to bleed it, i did it very carrefully, several times and these issues are still there.....
It's to bad, because it does brake a lot.

all I can think off is there is still air packs inside the system. In my experience, I did spent a bit for quite amount of mineral oil just to make sure everything is clean and new running in my brakes and compensate some amount to flash-out trapped air. Magura/shigura maybe a bit tricky to bleed but this also happened to me in shimano brakes. Levers too deep after being bike upside-down during travel...

i was bleeding my brakes few months ago, and I just found out that not all mineral oil (shimano/tektro/magura/any names) mix together. That made me, purchase a greater volume (one name) rather than small repacks. Then, I did flush the whole system and bleed fresh with out any remains of the old oil. Hope that gives a hint.

What olive/Barb combo have people been using for their conversions? 

I've seen people using Shimano barbs, but others have said magura barbs are necessary or there's a risk of leaking from the lever. Also read that Shimano barbs can go crooked on the magura brake line, but Shimano olives seem necessary to flush up against the Shimano lever. 

Thinking about converting; my Zees have been good but lately have developed some sort of micro leak which contaminates the pads when the bike sits for a bit. 

for what I have noticed in my setup, since my levers were all old maybe. The feel is not as smooth at all shimano brakes, like pulling like nothing to stop then brake bites. It feels like a bit of resistance but gradually biting until stops (modulation) and I loved it. I am already planning to replace sa seals on my shimano master cylinders since those were pre-owned parts since 2014...