UCI DH World Cup and EWS...

Mark W

Any of you nerds going to be watching?

Just read an article about a French rider who got hit in the balls so hard by a course pole it split the sack. From seeing practise clips that course is hard enough, let alone having your balls flapping around to boot.

Any predictions on winners?

from looking at the qualifying times Matt Walker could be up for a win if he doesn't fall off... fastest on every sector but then obviously had a spill which put him back. I'm interested to see how Reece Wilson does after winning here last year, quite interesting how he's gone to flat pedals after riding clips for so long but after hearing that Gwin couldn't clip one of his feet back into his pedal last year because of too much mud build up perhaps flat pedals makes sense even if you're not used to it.

The GoPro clips in this do a good job of showing how heinous that course is. Even the 'easy' bits look nails! The little section about 6:58 in looks death if you mess that up...

Think it'll be like the Worlds where it's just a case of whoever manages to piece together a half decent run. The last woods looks absolutely brutal, and somewhat of a lottery. Supposed to have showers over the next few days so I can't see it getting any better. Should make for interesting viewing...

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

Just read an article about a French rider who got hit in the balls so hard by a course pole it split the sack. From seeing practise clips that course is hard enough, let alone having your balls flapping around to boot.

I love how the pinkbike headline (and your bit) makes it sound like the pole hit him. Unless someone pulled it back and let it go (which would be awesome) I think we need a little more victim blaming on this one.

On 11/06/2021 at 5:55 PM, PeterH said:

I love how the pinkbike headline (and your bit) makes it sound like the pole hit him. Unless someone pulled it back and let it go (which would be awesome) I think we need a little more victim blaming on this one.

Think you may be reading a little too much into that there... 

Anyway, he's posted a clip from Brendan Fairclough showing him ride legs akimbo into it. Doesn't look like a huge amount of fun, although still hard to work out how it actually hit him that hard. Worth sticking around to the end of the clip for the "He got a pole in the dick" report...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQA8T1NCh9A/ 

Seemed a decent race in the end, glad Brosnan got it done. It'll be interesting seeing how everyone's riding on a slightly more consistent track.

Ignored my phone all day then got some lads round on Saturday evening for pizza/beers to replay the live feed.
What a race. That had everything you want from a WC downhill. Tricky conditions, new bikes/teams, riders coming back from injury so not knowing who's in form, last man down winner

Loved it. 

• Like 2

On 14/06/2021 at 9:47 AM, Mark W said:

Think you may be reading a little too much into that there... 

Anyway, he's posted a clip from Brendan Fairclough showing him ride legs akimbo into it. Doesn't look like a huge amount of fun, although still hard to work out how it actually hit him that hard. Worth sticking around to the end of the clip for the "He got a pole in the dick" report...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQA8T1NCh9A/ 

Seemed a decent race in the end, glad Brosnan got it done. It'll be interesting seeing how everyone's riding on a slightly more consistent track.

Full Story here, turns out it much MUCH worse than it looked

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/florent-payet-out-of-leogang-world-cup-after-a-pole-struck-his-genitals.html

"Hey everyone, just a quick update on what happened to me today.

Everything was coming together nicely, I was really happy with the track and was enjoying riding the steep mud sections. Then the drama came.

I went out of the track on a fast section about 30 seconds into the track. I was trying find some more speed somewhere else than in the wood and simply rode into a pole. I had probably done this a thousand times in the last 16 years that I have been racing World Cups. Normally I just bounce off and keep going.

This time it was a bit different. The pole came back and whipped straight between my legs. It hit me with an unbelievable amount of pain. I still managed to ride my bike quite well down to the bottom of the track, but when I got to the pit the pain got really bad. We had a check down my trousers and there was lots of blood and some spare parts were hanging out that should have been tucked away safely. I needed to get to a hospital urgently.

The doctors performed emergency surgery to save them and get them back in place and to save the chance to have children… The surgery was a success and the boys are back where they should be.

I will need to wait and see what this experience has actually done to me emotionally as I was very close to losing them… This is the first time I have needed surgery without actually crashing on my bike and it has been a scary experience.

I will keep the updates coming regarding my situation over the next few days, and let everyone know about my recovery when I have more information.
Florent Payet

My topic, I can do what I want - it's now covering EWS too ;) Anyone else going to be watching out for this? Watched everything I could get hold of for last years (and got the Misspent Summers 'Meltdown' book which was well worth it) and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing what it's like with a full strength rider line-up again.

Guys like Jesse Melamed and Jack Moir are looking f**king quick from their YT videos, although Sam Hill is Sam Hill and Richie Rude is Richie Rude.