Tire choices in 2021

DavidR8

My new-to-me Inspired Element came with a Schwalbe Tabletop on the front and a Try-All on the rear. I noticed the rear tire has a number of pretty good size marks and is generally pretty checked.
Looking around for streety type tires online and there seems to be a world wide tire shortage. Was looking at Continental CrossKings. 26 x 2.2. I know Tarty bikes has them but shipping and duties make them really expensive.
Any decent options available in North America, (Canada preferably)?

How thick do you want the sidewall to be?

The only real option for a streety tread with a dual ply casing is a Maxxis Hookworm. Pretty heavy at close to 1000gm but you will be able to land on sharp edges with lower pressure. 

If you are going for the streety tires used on dirt jump bikes, the sidewall is not going to be as strong and you may get tons of pinch flats, especially if you are a beginner. 

• Like 1

I ran them for years before the continental option came out. You’ll get pinch flats. Run a heavy DH tube at 35psi plus and they might not be too often. I did used to like a good pedal gap so that didn’t help. 

19 minutes ago, Matt24. said:

I ran them for years before the continental option came out. You’ll get pinch flats. Run a heavy DH tube at 35psi plus and they might not be too often. I did used to like a good pedal gap so that didn’t help. 

So are you running the Crosskings?

They don't make Cross Kings in 24" for your Element. You haven't got much choice in 24" streety tyres. I used to run Table Tops and Holy Rollers, the latter were a bit more solid and durable, but as above, sidewalls still very thin. Hookworm as Sam said, but the Conti MacAskill tyre seems the tyre of choice nowadays in 24". 

3 minutes ago, DavidR8 said:

Actually my Element has 26'ers.

My bad, assumed it was 24. In that case, maybe look at Maxxis XC tyres with an Exo casing. I've been running a few Crossmark 2s and they're holding up well. Better casing than the Holy Rollers, not as heavy as dual ply.

Edited by Daan
  • Like 1

I second the cross marks with exo. Assumed you were looking at 24’s - should read the thread better next time! I have been running them for a few months on the hex and didn’t pinch when I dented my rim so a thumbs up from me! They are pricey kind but worth it!! I had the contis you mentioned on it when I got it and I pinched those pretty quick 

• Like 1

Actually lucky it's 26, much more to choose from :) Have a look at Ali C's YouTube channel, he's running some Vittoria tyres on his Hex. Don't know how available they are in Canada though. Besides the Crossmark, the Maxxis Ikon Exo is available with a grippier 3C compound. I may personally try those next (the wider 26x2.35 one), as the Crossmark in the wet can sometimes be a bit sketchy I find. 

Edited by Daan

2 minutes ago, Daan said:

Actually lucky it's 26, much more to choose from :) Have a look at Ali C's YouTube channel, he's running some Vittoria tyres on his Hex. Don't know how available they are in Canada though. Besides the Crossmark, the Maxxis Ikon Exo is available with a grippier 3C compound. I may personally try those next (the wider 26x2.35 one), as the Crossmark in the wet can sometimes be a bit sketchy I find. 

Thanks, I'll check into Vottoria availability in Canada and the Ikon recommendation. Generally, tires, and more specifically 26ers seem to be in short supply locally.