How do you fixed stiff links without spreading the link apart?

JT!

Put a new chain on my bike a few days ago, snapped the mech hanger today (see angry thread) and on closer inspection I realized that where I connected the chain one of the plates has been pushed out and I'm quite surprised that the chain didn't detach.

Obviously when I was using the destiffening part of the chain tool I overdid it, but the link was a little stiffer than the rest of the links still.

So first question, should I just deal with a stiff link as opposed to overdoing it?

2nd question, can I remove this link and have a shorter chain, or could this cause issues? It's a 1x10 and has the same length chain as the bike came with.

6 hours ago, JT! said:

2nd question, can I remove this link and have a shorter chain, or could this cause issues? It's a 1x10 and has the same length chain as the bike came with.

As Ali say for the first bit.

For this, stick the bike in the physically biggest gears (front if you have them and rear) and see whether you could remove a complete link (or even two) and still have a little bit of slack there. If you can it'll keep the chain slightly tighter (quieter and less likely to come off) and you'll also save a little bit of weight as well! If it's full sus remember that you need to cycle the bike through the full travel as well to make sure that your chain length won't impact the suspension movement.