Adding a second gear on the fourplay pro 2020?

HSPalm

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to add a second rear sprocket on the Inspired Fourplay Pro 2020. I don't need a shifter, I am fine with manually placing the chain with my hands since I will use it so seldom and also to keep complexity and weight down.

The idea of course is to have a higher gear ratio for the longer stretches between riding spots.

Thanks

When I think about it, the extra sprocket would need to be in front, because there's no room for a smaller sprocket on the rear hub. Or else I would have to change the chain ring for a much larger one to compensate. 
Maybe If I can replace the bash guard with a larger sprocket, actually just use a larger sprocket as bash gard. Sounds a bit dangerous maybe to have a spiked bash guard.

Probably less dangerous more that it’ll just bend on first decent impact and be useless. What do you want the extra gear for? I did many years back run second cogs for getting about but that was when bikes still had mech hangers to just pop it across. I think you’ll find it difficult on something purpose built for a single trials gear. 

Ok - for you to make meaningful difference you’ll either need a pretty small rear or pretty big front. Neither of which are going to work that well as there isn’t a simple chain alignment method with an integrated tensioner. From experience I’d not bother and just focus on pedalling faster!

i mucked about with this idea on my old zebdi. ended up with a 2x front set up, with a  half bash ring and a fairly chinesium tensioner. chain slap is obviously more than on a singlespeed tenioner setup as it needs more chain. a better tensioner would probably help a lot. i also fabricobbled a front chain device, mostly because a dcd wont fit the square chainstays.  hope the pictures help if anybody wants to try it.

IMG20210901121804.jpg

IMG20210901121749.jpg

It was pretty doable on old school bikes with a regular hanger and a cassette hub.  I used to have a setup with a road derailleur on my old zebdi that was pretty easy to switch gears between for longer stretches. 

might be a lot more difficult on a fourplay and would lose a lot of the advantages of modern tensioning systems.  adding a gear on the rear would mean switching out the hub and you'd have trouble having both gears align with the in built tensioner. adding a gear on the front would most likely make clearance issues on the chainstay.

I think it's possible with a cassette hub, to add a 2nd lower gear in the rear, you'd have to readjust the tensioner every time to make it work.  Would probably be a pain to make work well and take some time to switch between.  IMO not worth it.

Edited by cwtrials