Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al_Fel

Glass cutting help

5 posts in this topic

I need a circle of glass about 4 inches diameter (doesn't have to be perfect). I've got a pain of glass that's about 8" square I was thinking of just nipping away at it with scissors to make the circle. Anyone got an experience of cutting glass?

You want one of those cutters with a carbide wheel on the bottom. You can get them at all sorts of places. Got mine at Wilko's for about £2.50.

Score and then tap from the underside. Youtube had a wealth of tutorials when I looked a couple of years ago. Don't try and do the whole circle in one go - very unlikely to work. Trim corners off with arcs, and then score again and snap off the remaining bits. There's a knack to it, so a practice sheet is a good idea.

I'm only over in Leeds if it's just not working for you ;)

Edit: A tip I learned after a lot of failures - pressing really hard to score deeper does NOT make it work better. It chips the edges makes it much more likely to snap away from the score. Score gently and tap lightly more times. Patience required for technical cuts sometimes!

Edited by aener
1 person likes this

For way too long i was sat thinking 'why the f*ck does he want a 4" circle of grass?',

then 'how the f*ck would he cut grass with a carbide wheel?',

then some 'it'd be hard with scissors to get that 4" circle of grass perfect'

then i had a huge "f*ck me, i'm an idiot"

2 people like this

I did try one of those glass cutting wheels but I couldn't get the accuracy with it being such a tight radius,

Any reason why cutting it with scissors wouldn't work?

I've never tried cutting glass with scissors. Go for it.

1 person likes this