We E biking?

Davetrials

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Have you noticed it being extra hard on drivetrain (or indeed suspension, brakes etc.) compared to non Eeb?

Preventative maintenance is so important with E bikes, the states i see some come back to my shop after 6 months is insane. 6K just TRASHED
Given how difficult it is to get certain parts (Shimano 12sp cassettes are basically next year now) its more important than ever to look after what you have.

What we see most, and i'm guilty of doing it my self, is leaving the bike in say 5th gear and just letting the motor just carry you up everything adding a huge strain on the drive chain and killing battery life, treat them as any normal bike, slap it in the big gear and spin to win!

but we see very little, if any issues as far as suspension is concerned 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Have you noticed it being extra hard on drivetrain (or indeed suspension, brakes etc.) compared to non Eeb?

Having ridden a few they can feel ‘muted’ on the trail. All that weight, frame protection, beefy tyres and suspension. You sometimes don’t realise how hard you’re  hammering down stuff until something pops. Gear changes are the killer though like @Davetrailsand @AdamR28says, clumsy shifting is rewarded with transmission death hence e MTB specific drivetrains to try and curb the animals out there going for a gear on a 20% at full boost.

Edited by Maintenance Justice
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been putting the miles in on the SL and I’m blown away by the fun that this thing offers. I’ve owned 3 ‘full fat’ eebs (in fact I’ve just listed my beautiful Canyon Spectral On for sale if anyone is looking) but the lightweight offerings really are the future in my opinion. This offers just 35nm to get up the trails quickly and hit more runs. 

I’m very fortunate to have the South Downs Way on my doorstep so have been getting some post work loops in. But in reality I’m more of a DH rider so I’ve adjusted the spec to suit, took it to BPW a few weeks back and it ate it up.

Few bits I’ve changed:

- Fox 38s @ 160mm (10mm up)

- Flip chip in low (0.5 degree slacker)

- Reynolds carbon 30mm rims

- Spank hex rear hub

- DHF / DHR 

- Hope E4s 

- 650lbs spring

- 180mm dropper

- Fabric saddle

- Hope f20s

With a whole new era of lightweight e bikes on the horizon, anyone considering them I’d encourage to give it a go! 

99F81043-8C2A-4634-8D17-C06AD6270530.jpeg

On 9/24/2022 at 7:33 AM, DJEHB said:

I’ve been putting the miles in on the SL and I’m blown away by the fun that this thing offers. I’ve owned 3 ‘full fat’ eebs (in fact I’ve just listed my beautiful Canyon Spectral On for sale if anyone is looking) but the lightweight offerings really are the future in my opinion. This offers just 35nm to get up the trails quickly and hit more runs. 

With a whole new era of lightweight e bikes on the horizon, anyone considering them I’d encourage to give it a go! 

This is the direction I'd like to see things go in but I'm not ready to jump in just yet! When I struggle to keep up with my kids on traditional bikes I'll look into them seriously! Hopefully by then the market will have evolved and worked out what works and what doesn't.

• Like 1

It's the MTB world Dave, they won't be working that out any time soon ;) Just on to the next marketing hype and hope for the best. Do agree though, if I ever decided to get an eeb then lightweight would be the way that I'd go, but I don't anticipate that happening for a long time.

It has been interesting seeing the different classes of e-bike splinter some of the local riding groups here. Initially it was just 'regular' vs. 'eebs' making some rides awkward in terms of pacing, or whether people would turn up at all. I recently joined one of the weekly local rides run by another group and everyone but me was on an e-bike (apart from one other dude on a regular bike, but he only turned up because they'd promised they'd tow him up the hills). However, there was about a 50:50 split of full fat to lightweight, and there was a lot of range anxiety on the go! All the full fat guys were wanting to bomb everything in Turbo while the SL guys were trying to eek it out on Eco or Trail. It meant that at the top of the climbs that full fat guys were raring to go as they'd been waiting, while the SL guys would turn up a bit more out of breath and want to stop for a bit but the full fat guys would head off almost immediately. The ride route ended up changing part way through as the relative battery levels meant some people were concerned about getting home.

Having chatted to some of the SL guys they were a bit disappointed that their super expensive SL bikes were essentially 'worse' than the cheap full fat bikes some of the other guys were riding, and that in a way they may as well just be on a regular bike again. I think they may have forgotten what riding up those hills on a regular bike was really like, but it did seem like their situation kind wasn't really that different from how it used to be when it would just be a 50:50 regular to e-bike split on our rides.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mark W said:

It's the MTB world Dave, they won't be working that out any time soon ;) Just on to the next marketing hype and hope for the best. Do agree though, if I ever decided to get an eeb then lightweight would be the way that I'd go, but I don't anticipate that happening for a long time.

It has been interesting seeing the different classes of e-bike splinter some of the local riding groups here. Initially it was just 'regular' vs. 'eebs' making some rides awkward in terms of pacing, or whether people would turn up at all. I recently joined one of the weekly local rides run by another group and everyone but me was on an e-bike (apart from one other dude on a regular bike, but he only turned up because they'd promised they'd tow him up the hills). However, there was about a 50:50 split of full fat to lightweight, and there was a lot of range anxiety on the go! All the full fat guys were wanting to bomb everything in Turbo while the SL guys were trying to eek it out on Eco or Trail. It meant that at the top of the climbs that full fat guys were raring to go as they'd been waiting, while the SL guys would turn up a bit more out of breath and want to stop for a bit but the full fat guys would head off almost immediately. The ride route ended up changing part way through as the relative battery levels meant some people were concerned about getting home.

Having chatted to some of the SL guys they were a bit disappointed that their super expensive SL bikes were essentially 'worse' than the cheap full fat bikes some of the other guys were riding, and that in a way they may as well just be on a regular bike again. I think they may have forgotten what riding up those hills on a regular bike was really like, but it did seem like their situation kind wasn't really that different from how it used to be when it would just be a 50:50 regular to e-bike split on our rides.

A mate borrowed my full fat (70nm, 504wh) for a ride and we did some side by side tests. There’s absolutely no denying that the power is substantially noticeable over the SL (35nm, 320wh). However after a 3hr ride we both concluded that we preferred the lighter bike, there’s still plenty to get you up the hill and you get a bit more of a workout as a result. Not to mention is feels superb when you point it down!

At the end of the ride we were surprised to see that both batteries had around 25% left. But I guess in part that is due to us riding at the same pace, the lighter bike in trail / turbo and the full fat in eco / trail. Also worth noting that the newer full fats have 640wh+ as a minimum, some closer to 1000 so this isn’t the fairest comparison by today’s standards.

For me, e bikes are entirely about the motivation to ride. It’s something I lack without one and rarely use my normal bike. It’s also a completely different ball game if you have friends on them also. That said, my main riding buddy is on a hardtail and as fit as he is it’s still not as enjoyable dropping to his pace.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DJEHB said:

That said, my main riding buddy is on a hardtail and as fit as he is it’s still not as enjoyable dropping to his pace.

Yeah, that's the thing really - in South Wales in particular e-bikes outnumber regular bikes. All of my old local groups are now almost exclusively e-bike apart from me and about two others, and basically it sucks going on a ride as the only regular rider because you know you're f**king their ride up. Everyone's cool about it and don't really mind (plus I'd say I can ride a reasonable pace up the climbs), but I know that I'm drastically reducing the amount of descents they could be doing.

• 1 month later...

Managed to find a carbon SL in large (prev one was an alu medium and it was a touch small) and I couldn’t resist. Swapped a load of parts over, it’s running 160mm front and rear with a cascade link. Also came with a range extender so can comfortably get 40 miles across the downs when I fancy it. Such a great bit of kit. 

If anyone is looking my medium SL will be for sale soon with a mega spec (Fox 38, Ohlins TTX, Hope E4s, Carbon wheels etc).

23BBF89D-C278-4738-8D4A-5AF01D012FD3.jpeg

Had a little go on a friend's 2020 Kona Remote 160 and didn't really get on with it. Sure the eebness up hills makes it easy to pedal but wasn't feeling the weight or apparent dragginess off power and, possibly due to the whole trials background thing, really disliked the sloppy front freewheel type thing that happens at the cranks. Assume that's a standard thing for eebs and nothing you can do about it but it just felt mechanically poor to me... Meh, I'll stay analogue for a while longer I think!

• Like 1