Road to Marino

Swoofty

On 11/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, MaderaMark said:

I was also thinking of trying some lighter forks with non-tapered tube. But nothing can be found in chinese online shops.

That was one of the reasons I didn't get a Silex initially. There really are no alloy 15mm non tapered forks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Miracle of miracles! Another update from Peru! Also, the Silex experiment is coming to an end already and will be disassembled this week most likely. Fingers crossed for a Marino this winter, but there are already plans for a different bike underway. Stay tuned...

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

170 days! That's all it took from payment to delivery. The frame arrived unexpectedly on Tuesday (the tracking number never worked) and I've been slowly piecing it together ever since. PXL_20220225_190331362.thumb.jpg.a3a00b0c4d22dea4a40c1b329c0bb676.jpg

Not sure how long Marino's been doing this, but the frame has replaceable bolt on dropouts L & R so it can run vertical or horizontal dropouts. Hopefully a through axle option someday.PXL_20220225_190402373.thumb.jpg.ae1a81ee503ab53487ec9bd9aeea018a.jpg

Ironically I ordered the frame with a tapered headset, but I no longer have a tapered fork for it so for now it'll get a TMS straight fork.PXL_20220225_195126022.thumb.jpg.f3fbd8a642e53802c620e1723131a259.jpg

Edited by Swoofty
  • Like 1

Here's the first build out. The numbers came out spot on. Wheelbase 1000mm, chainstay 360mm, frame weight 2730g.  I haven't tried to measure the BB height or the head angle yet.  Most everything is how I wanted it for this build except for the fork. And oh my god that fork! The bike is basically sidelined until I can replace the fork. The brake mount (post, naturally) is too close to the rotor and no caliper that I could find will slide far enough over not to rub.  I even filed the threads off the brake mount bolt so the caliper could slide over slightly farther, but to no avail. Thanks TMS :-(

PXL_20220226_184728083.thumb.jpg.c1a9d5454624814d33290b586b91784f.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Thin washer between the hub and fork should do the trick!

Yeah, that's what I did when this fork was on my Silex. The bummer is this is meant to be my skatepark bike so the front wheel needs to come off every ride. Annoying. I wish TMS could put down the fromage long enough to weld the tab on in the correct spot. I think I've found a better fork that's actually in stock so it should be properly sorted soon.