140/150mm 27.5 forks/Rear shocks

Tom Booth

Finally scratched the itch and bought a SantaCruz 5010 frame, looking to build up a nice trail build, I haven't looked at components for a long time so still assume fox 34/36 rule the roost :lol:

The Fox 32s on my orange are still great with regular servicing so may well just go with another fox setup, just curious if anyone's rating anything different really..

My xfusion vengeance are astonishing, 36mm stanchions, coil sprung, damper adjustments that work (rebound, low and high speed compression) and super sensitive; I'm fairly certain that they sag a little under the bikes self weight. 100% self serviceable with no special tools. Not too shabby for a ten year old fork :)

• Like 1

I bought some second hand RS Revelations about 2 years ago, for about £130 on eBay. They have been 100% reliable, as well as being cheap and relatively easy to service myself. Only complaint is that they lack the small bump sensitivity of more expensive forks. A damper upgrade can fix this, but I can’t be bothered.

Edited by Mikee

On 12/10/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mikee said:

I bought some second hand RS Revelations about 2 years ago, for about £130 on eBay. They have been 100% reliable, as well as being cheap and relatively easy to service myself. Only complaint is that they lack the small bump sensitivity of more expensive forks. A damper upgrade can fix this, but I can’t be bothered.

Its funny you should say that, I rode a friends lappierre last night with revelations on and couldn't believe how nice they felt, super smooth! I will say they seemed to flex more then what I'm used to with the fox's but I was super impressed. Really put me in line for something pike or Lyrik

Gone for a set of Lyrik Ultimates with the revised debonair setup, they're 160mm so just need to source a 140mm spring replacement!  Cheers for the help as always you lovely, lovely men.

Shaping up to be a nice build so far,

Santa cruz v3 5010c

Lyriks

Pro 4 enduro wheel set/tubeless maxxis aggressors

1x12 using raceface cranks and spam setup

Slx 4pots, they've been fantastic on my orange

Brand x dropper

Raceface Chester bars and stem left over from the orange, may replace them in the future when i getsa ride in.

Nice! Try them in 160 and see how you get on first. If you need them to sit a bit lower in the travel just use a bit less pressure and an extra token or two - though I found the Lyrik to sit quite low down anyway.

Worst case you can just chop 20mm off the air shaft and they'll be 140s.

23 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Nice! Try them in 160 and see how you get on first. If you need them to sit a bit lower in the travel just use a bit less pressure and an extra token or two - though I found the Lyrik to sit quite low down anyway.

Thought you had to take the 20mm off the lowers and tape them back together?
FWIW I've overforked my intense by 20mm, 160 vs 140 recommended and not experienced anything bad from it, the BB is higher than the current trend of long low slack frames but it works fine for me :)

41 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

It crossed my mind to try at 160, but alot of online feedback seems to be the 5010 tries to kick up when anything 150mm+ is on the front, I did consider just running lower pressure as with my weight and size getting some extra sag in there isn't really an issue :lol: And the debonair revise seems to keep the fork efficient throughout the stroke. I've ordered a 140mm Air spring, and the change over doesn't look too difficult so might get to play about with it first.

Really looking forward to getting out on it, I love the orange and still find it a really fun bike, but looks to me like the 5010 is going to be that bit more playful which is something I've been after for a while, theres not really much big and steep around here, so a shorter travel point and shoot might be more fun for local stuff.

Build day tomorrow!

20211018-170923.jpg

Gonna come unstuck as current front hub is 110x20, and the lyriks are 15mm, I'll still be waiting on parts so not the end of the world.

Ordered brakes and an slx 1x11 groupset last night, seatpost this morning so really it'll all come together pretty quickly.

Still waiting on the groupset, but just had a chainless roll down the hill near work, really, really impressed with the Lyriks, set them at 95psi and they feel real nice, sags probably 30-35% so it sits well too.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lyriks folks, half tempted to buy a set for the orange now :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Going to add to this in the hope people pick up on it...

Had the 5010 a few weeks now and I absolutely love it, its such a fun bike and rides pretty much just like a long jump bike. The rear Fox DPS EVOL though is garbage, blows through the travel so quickly even when the pressure is up. I run around 290psi in the rear to accommodate my weight and its sat at 25-30% sag depending if I'm fully kitted up or just out with a multitool in my pocket. I've had a play with the rebound but obviously doesn't stop it munching the travel.

I'm super impressed with the Lyriks on the front so wanting to give a RS rear a go and see how they behave. Anyone any opinion on the range of RS shocks? Looks like the Super Deluxe is the only one worth mentioning, but even then there's a few versions of it..

Reading online seems like alot of people like to overshock the rear by going 200x57 rather then 200x50, so either configuration I'm happy to give a go..

• Like 1

All I’d recommend with the super deluxe is to add the megneg upgrade, it transforms the mid stroke support and makes it feel much closer to a DPX2. I would personally get a DPX2 though, that’s a fairly common size you’ve got there and you can get them around £200 second hand.

Edited by DJEHB

I would speak to TF tuned and get them to revalve it to your weight, fox can only do so much with the limited shim stack in there to try to cover a massive range of rider weights.

You need to increase the spring pressure to support the load but that can then take you outside of the damper range capacity. In something like a cane creek double barrel you have an enormous range of adjustment of 4 different damping circuits.

My intense (which for all intents and purposes is the same suspension system as your frame) came with a fox rp23 and it constantly blew through the travel unless pumped up hard enough to take it outside of the sag envelope at which point the vpp works like ass. Fitted the ccdba which enabled me to balance the high speed compression damping with the spring rate and now I have a bike that pedals like a hardtail, I can't feel any bottom out and is active enough to deflect when riding over cracks in paving slabs :)

Try getting the shock tuned first or at least chat to TFT and they will be able to suggest what your best options are.

20 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Are you already maxed out on volume spacers?

Volume spacers! Forgetting those can be used in the rear too, I'll give a couple a go, cheers Adam. I took your advice on the front and added 2 more tokens making it upto 4, running a little less pressure makes for a really nice feel. (Now I'm typing this out its f'kin obvious it's what I need in the rear..)

I've heard a few other good things about the MegNeg upgrade (absolutley awful name, though) so that'd be the shock I'd look at if I am to swap out.

Like you say Ed, an email to TF might not be a bad shout to see what they can do for my current shock. Right now though given my experience with the Lyriks over the Fox gear on my Orange, I'm really interested to try something from RS and see how it compares. I am comparing brand new 35mm stanchion forks for 7 year old 32mm forks though, so not really a fair comparison :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to have the bearings replaced in the 5010.

Left with a 5010 v4 frame :lol:. The extra reach and slightly steeper seat tube made it so comfy on the demo bike I tried. Felt alot more like a big thrower bmx/jump bike which was nice.

Really excited to get it built up and setup, went out all weekend on the current bike and it's just so confidence inspiring, I'm alot more of a drops/roll off stuff then I am a jumper (I'll tackle a nice tabletop or step up, but doubles scare the shit outta me) but this bikes just given me the shove I needed. Really excited to see what a bike I felt alot more at home on does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2