What benefits do 20" comp bikes have?

THE PALLET

I’d say it’s all down to personal preference and style over all. Many people will say that 20” bikes are much lighter and easier to ride. But that’s only noticeable in the first few hours after coming off a bigger bike. Give it a week and once you’re used to the 20” it stops feeling that flicky.

Likewise, I recently started using my 26” more and the first couple of rides were horrible. It felt so big and heavy and slow. Then I got used to it and I can’t have enough of it.
My aim is to switch between the two and not really focus on what a bike feels like but focus on my riding itself and making the most of what bike I’m on at the time, so eventually I’m hoping to improve my skills overall.

Last addition to my collection is a 24” comp bike and surprisingly that’s what I’ve been using the least. I suppose that it’s a good bridge between the other two sizes and if I didn’t have them, I’d be happy with that. But if I was to switch from either of them to the 24” there isn’t any noticeable difference in how it feels.

Anyway, I’d say get the kind of bike that you associate trials with and get used to it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DYAKOV said:

I’d say it’s all down to personal preference and style over all. Many people will say that 20” bikes are much lighter and easier to ride. But that’s only noticeable in the first few hours after coming off a bigger bike. Give it a week and once you’re used to the 20” it stops feeling that flicky.

Likewise, I recently started using my 26” more and the first couple of rides were horrible. It felt so big and heavy and slow. Then I got used to it and I can’t have enough of it.
My aim is to switch between the two and not really focus on what a bike feels like but focus on my riding itself and making the most of what bike I’m on at the time, so eventually I’m hoping to improve my skills overall.

Last addition to my collection is a 24” comp bike and surprisingly that’s what I’ve been using the least. I suppose that it’s a good bridge between the other two sizes and if I didn’t have them, I’d be happy with that. But if I was to switch from either of them to the 24” there isn’t any noticeable difference in how it feels.

Anyway, I’d say get the kind of bike that you associate trials with and get used to it.

Thanks a lot for that you would just get used to what bike you have at the time. It's handy knowing other people's views .

Cheers

On 18/10/2021 at 11:45 PM, DYAKOV said:

That's perfectly put! Well done!

• Like 1

There is a marked difference between the two. From a novice perspective the 20" can feel great for back wheel work, they're lighter and a bit easier to manouver. Like @DYAKOV says though you soon get used to that and the initial feeling of 'iight and flicky' soon becomes normalised. The main thing I've found is that the bigger wheel bikes are more stable. MODS are very nervous on two wheels which can be quite restrictive when you're trying to learn the basics. Yes they're great on the back wheel but getting up there especially on difficult or uneven terrain from two wheels can be tricky.

The big wheel bikes are excellent for tackling drops, pedal hops, gaps and up / gap to fronts - the whole process of taking off and landing is much more controlled and with a larger front wheel you've got a 'bigger' target to aim for when trying to plant it down from a gap or up to a wall. Totally agree with @Canardweb because you are much lower on the MOD obstacles appear much bigger when going up.

HOWEVER - once you've got the basic skills down the MOD is much easier for tech moves like sidehops, wheel swaps and even certain kinds of gaps - you can pretty much chuck yourself over a gap and just drag the bike with you they're so small and light.

I always try to recommend a big wheel bike to newer riders especially if they are from an MTB background or have not ridden at all. The extra stability from a big wheel bike really helps in the early days and when doing the moves we all do starting out (gaps and drops!) they're much more rewarding and controlled to ride in my opinion. Once you've done a bit of time on one and the got the feel of certain Trials moves switching to a MOD is easier and you suddenly have superpowers as all those moves you've learned on a bigger wheel bike take half the effort!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been on for a while so hadn't seen your post. I have actually just taken the plunge and decided to swap to a 20"Jitsie Varial 1010. I have only had it for a couple of days but I agree with you with it being easier with wheel swaps, back hops ( and hooks for some reason) and I love it. Thanks :smile:

• Like 1