Stiffest V-Brake Arms

onzatpro09

Hi!

I'm currently running a front V-brake on my Ashton Justice and loving it (may go V on the back too if I can get hold of some 4 bolt to V adapters!), however there seems to be a little bit of flex in the system. I'm running an SD7 lever and linear cable with Deore arms and a booster. It would appear that the arms are flexing a little bit.

My question is are there stiffer arms I can use to somewhat eliminate this? Don't get me wrong, the brake feels great, but you can pull the brake a decent bit past the lock point. I understand there's always going to be flex somewhere, but I can't believe a deore arm is the pinnacle of V performance :P

Cheers!

IMG_20211111_185815_822.jpg

4 hours ago, Ali C said:

what cable are you using? 

Whatever linear outer I could find hidden away in the back of the shop I work at and a generic inner :P I could probably go to town and get a decent one. Odyssey rings a bell?

2 hours ago, Al_Fel said:

Be careful what you wish for.

From my experience having too stiff of a brake feels awful. There has to be at least some give somewhere. Does the brake work well? If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I definitely get what you mean! I'm okay with a little bit, just want to get it slightly more solid. I know you can't directly compare as such, but the lever feel after pads contact with the braking surface is a taaaaaaad squidgier than on my XT/Saint disc brakes on my street bike :) 

Avid ultimates were once the gold standard in V brakes and they're still top notch if you can find any. Extralite makes some CNC box section Vs that are probably ridiculously stiff, but the price is pretty stiff too. If you can minimize/eliminate the slop at the pivot and you're using really good cable and housing (housing cut with perfectly square ends!!) most V arms will be plenty. On my last pure trials V brake setup, (Avid ultimate arms & levers, Odyssey linear cable) the only 'squish' was in the Heatsink blue pads I was using (I didn't want to grind the rim).

UltraBrakes2 2.jpg

Echo_Ultimate.jpg

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, Al_Fel said:

Be careful what you wish for.

From my experience having too stiff of a brake feels awful. There has to be at least some give somewhere. Does the brake work well? If it ain't broke don't fix it!

i can vouch for this man's Vee brake expertise. 

• Like 2