My 26" steel street/trial

La Bourde

Just want to show you the last street/trial bike I built, because I really appreciate the result.

The aim was to have a cheaper bike, with reliable/low maintenance parts.

The frame is an (used) Octane01 Spark. It is basically a skatepark frame, from the NS Bike sister brand. Its price is reasonable (less than the rear wheel).

It is on the heavy side, but I did not expect the bike to ride that well. To me, it is like a low budget Arcade with 26" wheels.

The geometry is:

• wheelbase: 1010mm
  • chainstay: 381mm
  • bb height: around 350, so about +20mm
  • head angle: 74°
  • the fork has an axle to crown distance of 445mm and can be replaced by a suspension fork with 80mm travel.

It has a BMX bottom bracket and crankset, 25T/20T gear, BB7 brakes.

I'll swap the fork for a Reba with 80mm travel in a near future. It does not really fit the original concept, but I think the bike will be even more versatile.

I decided  to ride a Hope rear hub to be able to ride several gears, but this is not the case currently (it should not be a problem to put a mech on the frame).

Hope it can inspire you for your next build.

Octane01Spark.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

IMG_20230205_233513.thumb.jpg.f6f86b09f31113ee7c99dc633e031e53.jpgSmall updates :-)

Some months ago I bought a new headset from Shadow Conspiracy and some plastic pedals from Cinema. I lowered the bar by removing 8mm spacers.

I had to change the front tire and went for an old Kenda spare.

I eventually found a NS Majesty Park frame.

According to the specs, it has the same geometry as the Spark, but should be lighter.

I had to double check the weight of each frame: the NS is indeed 400g lighter!

I had two sessions on the new frame with exactly the same components and I did not notice any difference in the geometry.

I compared both frames, one next to the other and only the seat tube of the NS is longer and the junction with the top tube higher. That is all! Ok the tubing and the quality is overall better on the NS.

Riding the Majesty feels so similar ... Manuals, bunny, 180°, pedal up. It is the basically same bike. I mean if there is any difference, it is so small, that the rider condition will impact much more the riding!

I was expecting a difference in stiffness, but to my surprise, I have the impression that the Majesty is as stiff as the Spark.

The first few meters on a bike, I really notice the difference of weight and weight distribution. I had the impression the rear end was lighter. Somehow it felt snappier, more responsive. A nice improvement.

Today I changed the bar for a lighter one, put some new grips and change the stem for a 80mm long one, still with 17°. I removed a 4mm spacer, the bar is slightly higher.  Overall I saved more than 550g with this new build.

The first few moves in the garage shown me that the stem change goes in the right direction. The bike is easier on the front and there is more room for the body. I felt I had a more central position on the bike.

Edited by La Bourde

I like the look too, especially with a rigid fork, but my wrists don't like the idea of riding a rigid fork again on this kind of bikes.

The current sprocket is made of steel and I think it is strong enough, it weights more than 100g. It is no longer true though :rolleyes:

I had one made of aluminum and it lasts maybe 6 months.

I am light and I don't do big moves. But you are right, I have also my concerns regarding the fork. I check regularly for cracks. That is why I wanted to save some weight on the frame ... to put a Manitou Circus in 80mm without weight penalty.

But I can't find a white one for a good price currently <_<

The stiffness will be higher and the lockout will be more efficient too, the one on the Reba is somehow weak.