Rotor bolts coming loose

DJEHB

11 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

A bit more torque (above the recommendation - I go on feel so can't give a value, sorry!) usually does the trick for me. Blue (medium) loctite can help a bit. Don't use red!

I’ve been going down that route however I actually snapped my t25 bit so I was certainly getting the torque there.

I think the issue stems from using titanium bolts, coupled with being pretty weighty although I’d say I’m pretty smooth (if I do say so myself). 

I’ll try the blue stuff, glad you’ve said that as I have some in the shed but no red.

• Like 1

Another tip... do all the bolts up until they are about a quarter of a turn from being seated, then grab the rotor by the arms and twist it anti clockwise (assuming the rotor is facing towards you!).

You'll find there is a bit of slop when doing this - by pre-rotating it means the rotor is hard up against the shaft of the bolt, and therefore better supported. If you just tighten them down any old way, its just the friction between the underside of the head that holds it in place, meaning its much easier for the bolts to come loose.

Hope that makes sense and helps...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

Another tip... do all the bolts up until they are about a quarter of a turn from being seated, then grab the rotor by the arms and twist it anti clockwise (assuming the rotor is facing towards you!).

You'll find there is a bit of slop when doing this - by pre-rotating it means the rotor is hard up against the shaft of the bolt, and therefore better supported. If you just tighten them down any old way, its just the friction between the underside of the head that holds it in place.

Hope that makes sense and helps...

That’s actually a quality tip. Nice one :smartass:

Depending on who you've gotten the ti bolts from, they often have a bit of oil left on them from manufacturing. Make sure they're clean and then the blue locktite usually does the trick. Check them during and after the first few rides to make sure they're all behaving. Also try to limit the death grip when landing backwards (where possible!).

• Like 1