Echo brake pulls all the way to the bar

MikeCottTrials

I have an echo brake which I have just bath bled. As soon as I move the lever off bike the cyclinders move. So as far as I know the bleed seems to be good.

I have set the pads up close to the rim, close enough for me to be unable to slide a 1p in that gap.

However when pulling the lever it comes all the way to the bar with almost no resistance as demonstrated in the linked video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H1gUPUxnAxYNdsYM7

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

With a small air bubble in there it may still be enough force to move the pistons in free air but as soon as any resistance in met it will compress and lever will pull to the bars.  Hang it up by the bars over night, tap the line occasionally to try to get the bubbles moving upwards towards the lever and syringe bleed the last bit of air out :)

2 hours ago, MikeCottTrials said:

I have an echo brake which I have just bath bled. As soon as I move the lever off bike the cyclinders move. So as far as I know the bleed seems to be good.

I have set the pads up close to the rim, close enough for me to be unable to slide a 1p in that gap.

However when pulling the lever it comes all the way to the bar with almost no resistance as demonstrated in the linked video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H1gUPUxnAxYNdsYM7

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

If you bath bled the brake (properly), then you shouldn’t have any air whatsoever in the system. Or if there is a wee bubble, it should be so tiny that it wouldn’t affect the brake’s performance.

Time to check all seals and bolts. My guess is that your lever is leaking through the piston (need new o-rings if not a new piston altogether); or the bleeding screw on the lever / bleeding bolt on the slave cylinder aren’t tight enough; or you have a snapped hose - look around all barbed fittings and shroud nuts for leaking.

The last possible issue would be if the brake lever and slave cylinders weren’t compatible e.g. brake lever not pushing enough volume of fluid to the slaves.

N