adapt a straight fork to a tapered frame

signo97

there is someone that had try to adapt an old straight fork to a new standards tapered frame? I saw that you can do it with just one ring at the bottom of the fork but I don't trust that much with street trial impacts. Can it destroy the fork really fast? thanks

I’ve been running a straight fork on my tapered frame - 26” comp trials bike - and I’ve had no issues so far. Having said that I’m not doing any big moves to front. I’ve done some pedal up to fronts to about a meter height and wheel swaps to about 60-70 cm height and it’s been fine. The headset which came with the frame was already compatible with standard 1-1/8 forks, so no adapters needed.

5 hours ago, John Shrewsbury said:

nice, this is for hope headsets. My frame had fsa headset i think i need something different 

Be careful though, some cheap headsets use a flat crown race adapter (most cheap ZS44/30 or EC44/30), that is not so strong (I have seen some even worse):

517klFe1SNL._SL1000_.jpg

I have a Hope adapter, it is much better, you just put the crown race of a ZS44/40 headset on it. To me it seems much stronger.

prod71609_Silver_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505

Edited by La Bourde

Where is the backlash? Between fork steerer tube and the adapter?

What fork do you have?

Did you preload the headset correctly? The adapter or crown race may move down the steerer during the first rides, so it is important check the preload again.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:12 PM, La Bourde said:

Do you have mount the race crown between the adapter and the bearing?

race crown? there wasn’t one, they sell to me the frame with headset but it haven’t a race crown. Update: I try another adapter and work perfectly