Tool for rejoining a KMC chain?

Rip

I need a new chain tool to join my KMZ Z1eHX Narrow chain, I was looking at KMC's tool (Here) but their blurb says the tool is for breaking only and not rejoining, I know they recomend using a split link but obviously I'm not going to do that so I'm wondering if their tool is not actually designed to rejoin a chain also?

I had a BBB Nautilus II because they 'were' apparently well made but they're not any more it seems (see below) lol I managed to use this tool to break and rejoin a KMC chain with success but upon trying it for a second time the thread just stripped out when I tried to push the pin back in.

So, any recomendations for a sub £20 chain tool that will rejoin my chain? Assuming it's actually OK to rejoin, the internet has been scaring me with threads about 'you should never rejoin a chain because it will definitely snap on you, you have to use a split link'

20220406_145244.jpg

jitsie-kmc-z1ehx-narrow-chain.jpg

Edited by Rip

Thinking maybe this one? Had dealings with Pro Bike Tool in the past and they are very helpful and their tools are good quality, just insure whether it would be suitable for a 3/32" chain. I'll see if I can call someone and ask.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-BIKE-TOOL-Chain-Spare/dp/B08X7D554M/ref=sr_1_29?crid=250X8PQPU926M&keywords=chain%2Btool&qid=1649255708&refinements=p_72%3A184323031%2Cp_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&s=sports&sprefix=chain%2Btool%2Csports%2C61&sr=1-29&th=1

I've been using a basic bbb chain tool for a while and never really had any issues that occasional brain farts.

As long as you don't push the pin all the way out of the linkage it's not too hard on the tool to get it back in again. (I don't know if it's possible to push it back in after its all the way out, I always gave up if that happened. :laugh:)

Well I had a dig around and found a really old retro chain tool in my garage so I've rejoined it with that so hopefully it's all good. It's a brand new chain so as long as my join holds up I won't have any nasty accidents. Still open to recommendations for a decent tool for splitting and rejoining 3/32" chains. 

1 hour ago, Topsy said:

I've been using a basic bbb chain tool for a while and never really had any issues that occasional brain farts.

As long as you don't push the pin all the way out of the linkage it's not too hard on the tool to get it back in again. (I don't know if it's possible to push it back in after its all the way out, I always gave up if that happened. :laugh:)

Yeah been there before, pain in the ass. 

I have a Rohloff revolver 3 that's a true re-riveting tool, but $$$. I found this Oumers Chain Tool to be quite capable and very inexpensive (at least in the States). It's not a re-riveter, but it has quite a few good features for such a small tool. 

chain tool.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...