The Cheap Chinese Ebay Parts Thread

Swoofty

The car forums love to savage the "cheap chinese ebay parts," but every once in a while there's a diamond in the rough. I'll start this thread off with my latest experiment; the Koozer rear hub. I've owned numerous Hope single speed hubs over the years and I currently have 3 I9 Hydra single speed hubs and a Profile Elite single speed hub so I do like the good stuff. BUT, sometimes $230 -$450 seems a little steep for a hub that's not going to live on an 'A' bike. So enter the $57 Koozer! It's got 72 clicks and it's not too porky. Will it hold up? Let's find out. The US distributor only had pink in stock and they only come 32h and quick release or 142 x12. The spokes for it are in the post, but I'll start abusing it as soon as it's built up. I want to hear about other cheap chinese finds out there; good or bad.

koozer rear.jpg

I'll admit I've looked at carbon forks on ebay,  but I guess that's where I draw the line. The best was when I had an actual trials carbon fork for for sale on ebay and buyers kept asking why it was so expensive compared to cheap chinese carbon forks. That's just testing I'm not willing to do.

On 4/16/2022 at 11:54 AM, Swoofty said:

I'll admit I've looked at carbon forks on ebay,  but I guess that's where I draw the line. The best was when I had an actual trials carbon fork for for sale on ebay and buyers kept asking why it was so expensive compared to cheap chinese carbon forks. That's just testing I'm not willing to do.

Yeah, there's a disc fork on AliExpress that is marketed as for trials. For $70 usd. But like you said, not something I'm willing to get hurt for.

I think I’d almost rather a fork than a hub failure…. 

id be willing to run budget Chinese stuff on a mountain bike , but I don’t think I could bring myself to on a trials bike. I can’t think of anything that’s non-critical in trials.

I've got a Koozer hub on the back of my slopestyle bike (the Evo one with the steel axle) and it seems pretty good but does occasionally skip slightly under light load (never yet under heavy load). I probably wouldn't trust it on a trials bike but then that's me and it obviously depends on your type of riding.

2 minutes ago, MaderaMark said:

Brand: GOODTIMES

Single speed without sprocket 

Front hub 100X15 (with 110X20 adapter), front hub weight: 213g

Rear hub 135SS screw axle, rear hub weight: 409g

Suitable for single-speed vehicles such as street cars, dirt slopes, street climbing, etc. 

CNC machining of anodized Al6060-T6 shell and Al7075 base (about 58% higher hardness than Al6061-T6)

·2 front hubs 5 rear hubs sealed deep groove ball bearings

57T ring gear, 6 pawls, 3 pawls, grouped bite to ensure durability, and at the same time achieve 114 sounds and 3.15° bite angle

· 32 holes with six-pin discs with elbow spokes

Wire Length Calculation

Front hub
pcd left 58.10
pcd right 58.10
offset left 22.75
offset right32.75
Rear hub
pcd left 58.25
pcd right 58.25
offset left 31.33
offser right 31.33

16 minutes ago, Swoofty said:

How about cheap pedals? Bucklos are the undisputed kings of cheap suspension forks so I'll try there pedals too. Nylon body, steel axle and removable pins. $25 and the weights not bad.

608511227_bucklospedals.jpg

How do they feel?  I have a pair of pedals I bought on Amazon I used for awhile, similar construction to the new echo pedals, fairly light. But the axle area was a bit higher than the rest of the platform area so you didn't get all your weight on the pins and they my foot would shift too easily.  I'll find em tomorrow. 

Edited by cwtrials

I definitely wouldn't trade in my HT ME03 pedals for these, but they feel surprisingly good. They could do with a bit more concave, but they are at least concave. For now the pins are new and sharp so they're very grippy. The platform is also slightly larger than my HTs. I learned a while back that you can make your shoes last longer by changing pedals with a different pin configuration so it eats away a new part of your sole. For that, these compliment my HTs very well.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:09 AM, Swoofty said:

How about cheap pedals? Bucklos are the undisputed kings of cheap suspension forks so I'll try there pedals too. Nylon body, steel axle and removable pins. $25 and the weights not bad.

608511227_bucklospedals.jpg

Seems not much different on the ones i used before, nothing much to complain but the pins. Destroys my sole and made me get another 5.10 shoes in less than a year. Anyway, grips and feel were awesome. But i changed to some chinese alloy (krsec) pedals with more sole-friendly pins.

O1CN01O0OSF921uevge8E2a_!!2206604877045.jpg

O1CN01oWSxm52NCcUANzjfm_!!3434739927.jpg

1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

Those do look exactly the same. They also run $25 on ebay. The alu KRSEC looks interesting too.

been using the KRSEC since June last year,  I just did a double check on the bearings and added more grease since it looks dry to me. Until now, still intact and scratches everywhere...

IMAG1699.jpg

I had 2 good rides on the new cheap build this weekend and the Koozer didn't miss a beat. Saturday's ride, the brakes where still bedding in, but Sunday was full throttle. The Bucklos pedals are really growing on me and the Magura MT brakes are remarkably good. $57 hub, $35 brake and $25 pedals, so far so good!

PXL_20220501_223616549.jpg

Driving Chinese slaves without any regard for the environment is what does that. Great name too. Plus, it's not carbon, just some partially carbon hub shell or maybe even just carbon coloured sticker on the hub. I'd say boycot this and all junk from Alibabba, makes for a somehwat clearer conscience.

3 hours ago, Daan said:

Driving Chinese slaves without any regard for the environment is what does that. Great name too. Plus, it's not carbon, just some partially carbon hub shell or maybe even just carbon coloured sticker on the hub. I'd say boycot this and all junk from Alibabba, makes for a somehwat clearer conscience.

The rims aren’t carbon?  I cannot imagine riding that rear hub..

Just in case the Koozer is not up to the task, I also purchased a TMS single speed hub. I've never used one, but I guess they come on many TMS bikes. I can get them for $160 so they're cheaper than a Hope, but only come in black. It's gonna go on the back of my Marino.

PXL_20220505_003828286.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

Just in case the Koozer is not up to the task, I also purchased a TMS single speed hub. I've never used one, but I guess they come on many TMS bikes. I can get them for $160 so they're cheaper than a Hope, but only come in black. It's gonna go on the back of my Marino.

PXL_20220505_003828286.jpg

Looks identical or just the look.....

O1CN01zA1u5z1Ew779VfrTs_!!457160415.jpg