First Bike Help

Phantom87

Hello,

New member here from the US. I wanted to see if I could get some perspective on selecting a first bike from some experienced riders. I have read as many threads and watched as many videos as I can, but haven't found anything that quite addresses what I wanted to ask. I am not as concerned with the standard "mod vs. stock" or "is this a good bike", but rather what type of bike makes the most sense to start with and learn on given the type of riding I want to do.

I am about to turn 35, have 3 small kids, and a few old military injuries that riding has actually helped a lot. I am not looking to be the next youtube star, or compete, or go as big as possible. I would like to basically get to the point that I can go to one of the many good local riding spots, and have a good base of well rounded skills to be able to tackle a range of different man made and natural obstacles (boulders, logs and down trees, picnic benches, retaining walls, etc.), and then also be able to utilize some of those bike handling skills in my other riding, which is mostly recreational trail MTB.

I have been interested in trials since I was a teenager, and made a few very poor attempts at getting into the sport when I was a lot younger. I basically did everything wrong and tried to just start doing the flashy stuff, and spent no time on the basics. Being more mature and more patient has made me appreciate learning skills that take years to master, and I have taken a lot different approach this time. So far just doing basic stuff on my hardtail, but I have already made a lot of progress and am having a blast, and love being able to hop on the bike and work on some skills in my yard and driveway.

I would say in a perfect world, the style of riding that really appeals to me is a little more two wheel focused. Ali said it really well in one of his videos riding a comp with his DJ - something along the lines of: "Old school BIU style, mostly two wheels, with rear wheel moves as a last resort". I really like the idea of that type of riding, especially on natural. That being said, I don't really have any of those skills right now. I am back and forth between:

- Comp style bike: Focus more on the pure techniques and more static riding for the next few years, at the expense of knowing that that style of riding (as of right now) isn't exactly where I want to end up one day down the road, and a little leery about the crazy geometry being both foreign and potentially limiting.

- Street trials: More versatile, more inline with the long term style I want in the long term, at the expense of probably having a longer/harder go of learning some of the rear wheel and static techniques over the next few years. I will also say that the really spinny/BMX type stuff doesn't have a lot of appeal to me right now, but that could always change. Hex appeals to me if I go this route, and is about the top end of what I would want to spend.

- Have also had one or two people I have reached out to recommend the Jitsie hybrid, and say that might be a good fit for what I want to end up doing.

Not terribly concerned about budget, I have funded my bike from selling other hobby gear. I don't need to be dramatically over biked, but I am also okay with spending to get something that is good quality and I will keep for the long term. No one near me rides any type of trials from what I can tell, so I am going blind on the bike. Will likely end up buying new from Tarty or one of the US stores, since the used market is pretty bad over here. I think the reason I am having a hard time is that it doesn't really seem like there is a wrong choice, I am gonna have a blast no matter which way I go - but is there a more right choice?

Thanks for anyone that took the time to read my novel. Looking forward to having a much more serious go at the sport, and learning a lot along the way!

• Like 1

It does sound like a 26" street would fit the bill nicely and you're in luck because there are 4 new 26" currently available - Inspired Hex, TMS Silex 26", Extension Drax and possibly a Czar Neuron 26 if you can find one. I started riding trials at 35 and went straight to 24 street and loved every minute of it. Pure bikes are fun and impressive, but no fun at all to actually ride around on. I've been riding 26 street for the last 2 years now because they're just easier for pretty much everything except spins, give or take. The bike that you WANT to ride is often the best bike for you despite any other qualifications. If you're anywhere near LA, come on over and you can try out a bunch of different bikes. Good luck!

• Like 1

You said it there - there is no wrong choice for a trials bike. My opinion is go on YouTube and watch different trials videos e.g. street trials (Ali C, James Barton), brakeless trials (Flipp), tgs trials (Neil Tunnicliffe, Damon Watson), comp trials (Charlie Rolls, Jack Carthy) and decide which style you like the most. Then you can get a bike that’s suited for that style. The bike is just a tool that you’ll use to practice what you like, don’t start from picking the tool to determine how you’ll be then using it. And when you get one - ride regularly as much as you can. Riding once a month won’t help with getting used to the bike, no matter the style of bike or riding you do.

Another advice is (if you can’t test different bikes before you buy your own) don’t buy the most expensive one with top spec right away, don’t buy the cheapest either. Firstly, you might realise that you don’t like what you’ve bought and you don’t want to have wasted all that money; secondly, you’re very likely to bash it a lot in the beginning, so you don’t want to damage expensive kit or to fear for your safety over cheap shit; thirdly, if you’re like me, you’ll enjoy upgrading your bike bit by bit. It’s like a mini Christmas once a month - who doesn’t like that haha

Hi,

A few words about my own experience.

My first trials moves were executed on a typical XC bikes from the nineties. I learnc the basics this way.

Around 2004, I bought my first trials bike: a Koxx cheat code, with a geometry closer to a dirt bike than the current Inspired Hex.

Later, I bought my first comp trial, a JB zark. I did not enjoy that much this bike.

Many years after the bike was stolen, I bought my first street trial bike. Now I ride the fourth one and I really enjoyed it. But I bought recently a new Como bike, and it is a lot of fun too. It can be more frustrating though, cause it is not as versatile as the other one.

I think i had to progress to enjoy the comp bike.

I was surprise how difficult the new one was to get used to. A lot of basic moves are much more difficult due to the extreme position.

I'd go for the hex or similar personally.

Comp bikes can feel very odd and feel at home on the rear wheel more than on both. If I'd want to over exaggerate I'd say that riding on both wheels on a comp bike is like doing a constant push up. :p

Something like the hex is ridable through town too if you take your time and doesn't feel too sketchy if you want to ride down a hill fast or try a tiny bit of a trail.

To me the general riding is more fun on street bikes. I frequently take my arcade from a to b* and have had fun by popping a manual and bunny hop or two along the way. I doubt I'd take a comp bike out to do the same.

* I know, depending on where you are in the US that won't be on the cards with your longer distances

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 6:09 AM, Swoofty said:

It does sound like a 26" street would fit the bill nicely and you're in luck because there are 4 new 26" currently available - Inspired Hex, TMS Silex 26", Extension Drax and possibly a Czar Neuron 26 if you can find one. 

But what about Radio Minotaur 26" Dirt Street? Photo is also here. Looks cool, but maybe you can recommend it or share your experince. I would be grateful!

radio-minotaur-26-rower-rad-mtb-dirt-street-bicycle-matt-black-1.jpg

11 hours ago, Robust Robert said:

"But what about Radio Minotaur 26" Dirt Street? Photo is also here. Looks cool, but maybe you can recommend it or share your experience. I would be grateful!"

I've never heard of Radio, but from the specs, it's definitely a DJ bike. The problem with most DJ frames for street use is the BB height and the headtube angle.  The Trek Ticket that James Barton rides is an anomaly in the DJ world. It's an older Ticket and actually has +BB rise and a fairly steep head angle (71* I think).  Low bottom brackets make rear wheel moves more difficult and slack head angles make front end moves more difficult. Obviously it can be done (hello, 'Road Bike Party?') but it's usually people who learned on proper trials kit and moved to DJs. DJs are great fun, but they make street trials harder, not easier.

Edited by Swoofty
  • Like 1