Czar Neuron 24 Pro Limited Edition

Swoofty

I've got something pretty special in the workshop right now. I'm still in the process of figuring out the accent colors and awaiting parts to complete it. Full story when I have the first rough draft to show.

PXL_20220715_225825226.jpg

Edited by Swoofty
  • Like 6

• Swoofty changed the title to Czar Neuron 24 Pro Limited Edition

The story I was told was that when Echo closed recently, all the remaining stock, whatever state it was in, was sold off.  This particular frame set had been painted, but had not yet received decals and was sold as is. It came to my attention in a Japanese shop labelled as just a Czar Neuron Pro, but this color was only used on the limited edition version with the BB30 bottom bracket. Since my first trials bike back in 2009 was a Czar, I though it would be fitting that I should get my hands on possibly one of the last Czars. Now with the first build out, I'm struggling with the best accent color to finish it just so. The absence of decals also makes the 'bass boat purple' really dominate. I had hoped that tiny orange accents would work, mostly because I already had a spare wheel with orange nipples, but orange isn't quite right. The Clean cranks have the heavily overused red accents, but I have to say the red is actually growing on me. The rear hub is my trusty Profile Elite from my Ozonys Iron build back in 2015 and it's purple so it will have to do for now even though that makes for a lot of purple. I tried gold and silver bolts all around, but they weren't the right colors either. Might need some stickers to break up all that galaxy purple. Had my first real ride on it today; so much fun. I'm gonna miss Echo.

PXL_20220722_005327700.jpg

• Like 2

Some chrome vinyl stickers might look quite cool on that?

Do you know from that person if Echo are fully closed down, or if it's just a continuation of their covid lockdown closures? Hopefully it's the latter rather than the former. They had some swings and some misses over their history, but they put a lot of great bikes out at really good prices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterH said:

Are those the "Lenoski Pillars" behind the bike?

They are indeed (the locals call them "pawns"). That's my backyard:dance: Sadly, I've  been trying to do the whole line unsuccessfully for 7 YEARS now!!!! You, sir, have a very good eye.

Edited by Swoofty

13 hours ago, Mark W said:

Some chrome vinyl stickers might look quite cool on that?

Do you know from that person if Echo are fully closed down, or if it's just a continuation of their covid lockdown closures? Hopefully it's the latter rather than the former. They had some swings and some misses over their history, but they put a lot of great bikes out at really good prices.

Chrome would be pretty sweet!

All I've heard is hearsay unfortunately. I got the frame from someone who spoke a little english and I speak no Japanese. What I got from him is that the Echo factory is closed, hence the unfinished items sale, but they have a warehouse with stock that is supposedly being used to fill open orders. The factory is closed due to loosing all their skilled workers to better paying jobs elsewhere when lockdowns were lifted. It was my understanding that Echo is effectively done.  I hope none of this is true, but it's certainly believable. I was worried what might happen after Deng died. This frame is the 8th Echo/Czar that I've owned in my 13 years. A whole lot of my trials progress is due directly to Echo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 7/23/2022 at 3:07 AM, Swoofty said:

I was worried what might happen after Deng died.

To be fair, Deng died in 2012 and Echo have been doing alright overall since then - not perfectly, but then they weren't before that point either. 

Hopefully something works out with them either way, thanks for the extra info (Y)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK here's the update. And... I haven't really changed anything :-(  I put Holy Rollers on it, which I think look better and I like them better. No progress on decals either, but I did black all the red Clean crank parts. The bike's really grown on me though. It's super stiff with the square tubed rear end and oversized BB. If Echo ever comes back I hope they make a 26" Limited Edition version, that would be perfection.

PXL_20221212_010022573.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to rebuild the wheels on this one so I can go to more appropriate nipples (mmmm... violet <3). In so doing I also decided to service my Profile hub. It hasn't been serviced since new in 2015 (originally on my Ozonys Iron, YIKES!) After a good cleaning, only one of the springs was a bit dodgy, but everything else looked fine. Pretty impressive hub, especially considering these haven't changed in 20 years or so.

PXL_20230228_222042435.jpg

PXL_20230228_223430280.jpg

Yeah I freaked a little initially when I pulled that out, but the drive ring looks fine. The 'bits' were non metallic; some kind of fiber. No idea what or where that came from. Now it sounds nice and crisp again.

PXL_20230228_222049244.jpg

• Like 1

OK now the bike's finished. Rebuilt the wheels to Spanks and violet nipples throughout. Since it's destined to be my Germany bike, I decided it didn't need carbon wheels if it's going to sit in a cellar for 11 months out of the year. Spank Race 33s are really nice rims and I found an American Classic 15x100 hub for the front too. Now it's got the Holy Grail of wheelbuilding; 230mm spokes front and rear and left to right so I only need one size replacement spoke for the whole bike. Now I can use those carbon wheels for the next bike. Hmmmmm....

PXL_20230304_233542262.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 1:42 AM, Davetrials said:

How the f**king hell did you spot that 

See there was this thing before the internet, called VHS. And so you only had like 2 trials videos to watch. So you watched them over, and over. And over. And over.

:)