Bmx Questions

BONGO

Ask all your bmx questions here. there are a fair few people on the forum who know what they are on about when it comes to bmx, so use this threade to cut down my time on msn (Y)

what bike / parts to buy, where to get things, how things work, how to fix things, how to do things...blah blah blah.

(Y)

john

Edited by BONGO

Amazing brake set up is.

Odessey Moduleaver, odessey evolver, odessey brake cable (the new one which is bloody beast 10 barspins and you can still pull the brake) and 2x4 pads. Odessey ones are good, just make to much noise.

Winstanley cycles are really good for BMX parts. Got my miron for £99 from there.

odyssey brake cable (the new one which is bloody beast 10 barspins and you can still pull the brake)

LINEAR Slic Kable about £5 or £6.

I just got a normal Slic, £2.25 havnt fitted it yet, but should work like a "beast".

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm, trying to think of any problems I've had.

Ordering: Always specify every tiny detail of the part you want, I got a few parts that came in wrong sizes. The best bikeshop i dealt with were CYCLONE from Essex, really friendly on the phone and pretty helpful whcih is what you want really for a mailorder shop.

Just because it's light, doesn't mean it's any good.

Oh and a big bitch about bmx:

Ride mag, great magazine, really well put together, nice photos, write ups etc BUT, new parts, new product=light=must be good! Nice review, (see Ti spokes this months issue) Small, delusional kid writes into Ride asking how light can a BMX get, Get's verbally mouthed off! If you don't believe me then read through all the back issues and tell me when they've said "lite" is bad...

And 'Rider Owned Products';

S & M , Federal, Standard good. ORCHID shoes cost more than Etnies look shite. Well sorry to moan, but hey.

Tom

Edited by Tom_Leeson

Ok, after my crap post again I'll try and be helpful:

Micro Gearing: Some of you may have wandered why BMX chainrings, drivers have got smaller but still seem to be a decent ratio. Pretty simply, The best gear ratio for BMX is based around the original 44t on the sprocket ( chain ring) and a 16t frewheel on the back. 44 divided by 16 =2.75. After a while manufacturers realised that the same ratio could be achieved simply by reducing the size of the driver on the rear which in turn would shrink the appropiate sprocket size and lose a few links of the chain.

Which gives us 36-13 the smallest ratio you can achieve with a simple freewheel (Oddyssey's new 13t one). The ratio remains almost at 2.75 (2.76 to be exact).

Anyway if you want to lighten your wallet you can now buy decent cassette hubs from the likes of Profile, Oddyssey, Proper, Demolition etc. Theyve brought down the size of the driver through, 12t, 11t, 10t and now 9t. Giving you 33-12 (2.75 r),

30-11 (2.72), 28-10 (2.8-my current and favourite gearing) and the tiny 25-9 (2.77), with only Profile making 9t drivers for their own and Oddyssey hubs for around 60 quid.

Brake Set-Up: BMX's do have decent brakes just a large amount of riders can't be arsed to spend money/time setting them up properly. Firstly a decent lever that you like (not essential), a DECENT outer and inner cable, Put shit loads of Finish Line, 2 in 1 general bike lubricant down the cable! I'm the only trials rider I know with a really smooth V brake just from dripping oil through the outer cable until it's dripping through the end!

Secondly your going to need a decent rim surface, make sure your rim is clean, and if you can afford it, chrome rims work amazingly well or the new rip off Odyyssey Elektra black chrome surface (only 90 pounds!).

Thirdly, Pads: Oddyssey 1x2 or 2x4 pads work well, similarly any decent V brake pads work well if your u brake has the right mount system.

And finally make sure the actual brake is well lubed, not loose or tight, just right-so you can move the arms with your hands easily. I use an Oddyssey evolver which costs about 25 pounds and now comes in Red and Blue as well as Black. AD 990's are great as well. New Fly brake looks good, better if your brake mounts are on the chain stays. And the Revenge industries brake looks ok but expensive.

Well if you read all that I'm impressed, alternatively look for Ride BMX mag UK tech articles in the mag or online somewhere-all you'll ever need to know about BMX bikes!

Tom :rolleyes:

Quick tip if you're on a budget:

If you're running a giro, ditch the pervert? (is that the right name for the 1 cable into 2 before the giro) and get a DragonFly Gemini cable.

It runs 2 cables straight from any standard lever to the giro.

Made my brake feel a lot better and is now easier to pull.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'lo,

I'm in need of some new forks and bars, and I was just wondering if ye people had any suggestions? Someone's offered to swap my OEM Federals with them for their WTP Everlasts with AD990 mounts (I want a GOOD front brake...), so is that a good deal? The Everlasts are a bit old, but not really bent or owt.

So yeah, forks, bars, and I just remembered I need a seat-post too... I don't really want a super-trick seatpost, just a standard, boring, micro-adjust. Any suggestions would be good! It's a 25.4mm seat-tube, btw.

So yeah, thanks for any help :huh:

Mark.

post-91-1093211720_thumb.jpg

Will somebody post some tips on keeping bearings tight, in your rear wheel?

My contribution

Anything above a 14mm axel is fine

Anything below is shite

10mm axles are ok on the front, thats what I use and its lasted me well.

Just keep checking your wheel and see if its tight, if not tighten them... only way to solve this is get a new hub (sealed)

Yeah, I find with my brake it'll stop me, but it doesn't have the instant "oomph" that my Magura gives me. It'll haul me to a stop, but it's just not got that much modulation for manuals. It's either hardly any effect then suddenly stopping the wheel. I'm using the crappy Tektro "soft compound" V-pads that came with it, and I guess they might be the problem. Might go for Bongo's Plaz suggestion...

Mark.

EDIT: Well, sort my Hombre when it gets here first. Getting the Hombre with Fiesta pack, so we'll see how that goes.

• 2 months later...

wanting a new street/park bmx. i dont know my budget yet because i just got a paper round for £40 a week!! :shades:

So just your suggestions on which bikes are decent.

Also bare in mind i will probably change to the amazing brake set up aswell. :offtopic:

wanting a new street/park bmx. i dont know my budget yet because i just got a paper round for £40 a week!! :shades:

So just your suggestions on which bikes are decent.

Also bare in mind i will probably change to the amazing brake set up aswell. :offtopic:

take a look at the hoffman complete range.

www.winstanleysbmx.com

www.customriders.com

john

so with out a giro my brake starts to rub after half a bar spin should i get a better cable? and longer? where is best to buy from ?

buy an odyssey linear slic cable from www.winstanleysbmx.com

set it up the same are yours is, but it will work normal with the bars round a couple of times as the outer housing isn't wound, its linear.

whose arsed how it works, but it does. get one :offtopic:

john

I'm still waiting to be beaten up by a 'real' BMXer for this but I'm still running a magura on my BMX (Y) evo mounts run upside down fit straight onto U brake bosses and combined with a chrome rim, Bob's my uncle (Y). Running plenty of hose to allow for two complete barspins either way and have customised the lever blade by taking about 20mm off it and bent and ground the end back into shape. Perfick

Dave

I'm still waiting to be beaten up by a 'real' BMXer for this but I'm still running a magura on my BMX  :D  evo mounts run upside down fit straight onto U brake bosses and combined with a chrome rim, Bob's my uncle (Y). Running plenty of hose to allow for two complete barspins either way and have customised the lever blade by taking about 20mm off it and bent and ground the end back into shape. Perfick

Dave

I'm yet to see your bmx dave, bring it out one day and do some "proper" riding with me and steve hehe.

In my opinion, the ultimate bmx brake is to have the mounts rewelded for v's, then use a xtr canti, and xtr lever, linear slik cable, and some good pads. I know someone with this set up (lever bent to fit on narrow bars) and it's silly powerful. Sometimes feels more solid than my Mini as there is no sponge in the brake at all, and before any smart arse says "it's a mini duh.." etc MY mini works great, so suck my nuts.

For cranks there's profile, no other option really, and I'd steer clear or Gusset's as I bent mine.

Profile hubs are well regarded as the best too and they do plenty of models for anyone really.

Grips....Fir Key grips are nice, so are long necks, all personal preferance really.

James

Edited by the666ers