Bmx Questions

BONGO

Alltho im crap at roll backs and only ever do one pedal rotation i think the weight is meant to be right in the middle keeping the pedal rotations nice and steady.

With the crossover i try and keep mine nice and short as it seems less spongy, maybe im talking shit im not sure but its not really to bigger issue aslong as its all setup right.

be square and centered over the bike. i found that trying to keep my upper body still and pedalling only using my legs (like a jockey on a horse, he rides with his legs while his body remains still)

I keep my arms straightish and pretty stiff and after all that its just practice and practice.

john

10mm front axel + peg = good/bad?

Proper 10mm sealed bearing front hub with a peg and 10mm peg adapters.

Will it be safe enough to ride street with or should I change my forks and wheel and run 14mm upfront? I already have a set of WTP 14mm forks and an Alex chrome rim on sealed salt 14mm hub that I could swap it over for but I'd rather not bother if theres no real need.

Good trusty BMX pedals? I've always loved V12's on my trials bike but I'd prefer something larger and more bmx' worthy on my BMX so what kinda options are there without spending too much (Sub £40 say) Is it worth having sealed for bmx or do they die easier? all that kinda stuff.

Cheers Olly

Wondercups for the Parkinson got here yesterday, which was nice :D Just gotta bosh all the stuff on it and ride.

Managed to blow up a Primo V-Monster today (two holes, from a horriiiiiiiific hang up on a hop->manual up some steps), and all my spares are sorta raped. Used some plastic from Renthal grip packaging to bodge over two holes in a 3-hour old Elm Street tyre that died between the rim-lock bit and the main tyre.

Ordered a Path tyre anyway to replace it, so that'll be here Tuesday with a bit of luck/love...

Anyone used the Odyssey Elementary stem?

I've got some 3-Piece Profile USA BB Cranks and they have bolts instead of 8mm allen key things to tighten them, Im having problems finding a socket to go in there and also general setting them up, I never know how tight or whatever.

I've got them aligned mint but as I said them bolts make it annoying to tighten and adjust acordingly.

Cheers Olly.

A wee question about bar widths...

Whats the general concencous for bar widths? to cut or not to cut that is indeed the question.

I'm thinking I will ride uncut and see how it goes, but I used to ride bars which were 1 1/2" cut eiather side (will find out actual final width soon if i can)

Just wondering.

Hey Josh,

I run Beringer bars, and I've cut about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" off each side. They're almost too narrow now, I think maybe just an inch off each side would've been fine... Anyway, assuming I DID take an inch and a half of each side, that would suggest my bars are now 22" wide :-\

Narrower feels nicer for bunnyhopping and so on, but less width means less balance for stalls and so on, pretty much, just 'cos there's less leverage...

Hey Josh,

I run Beringer bars, and I've cut about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" off each side.  They're almost too narrow now, I think maybe just an inch off each side would've been fine... Anyway, assuming I DID take an inch and a half of each side, that would suggest my bars are now 22" wide :-\ 

Narrower feels nicer for bunnyhopping and so on, but less width means less balance for stalls and so on, pretty much, just 'cos there's less leverage...

haha looser :P *awaits Beringer bars FS Thread*

Nah, they're OK. I've started riding street more than ramp now anyway, and it's only *Really* doing stalls on ramp that I notice it, so I don't really mind too much. Pretty sure I'm gonna rip my pegs off again anyway, so it'll be a non-issue fully before long...

My civilian bars are ony 24 1/2 " any way, will not chop and see how they go.

As my bike was built by a factory type thing i am suspicious of Euro BB cups being loose etc.

Any one know where there is a guide to how to install them properly or is it very simple? The box of bits that came with the bike seems to have loads of spare for the BB too. two cylinders that look like spacers for the BB axle, and washers and cups etc.... Is this just for different width BB on other makes of frame that Odyssey supply with he Thermal cranks as standard? :"> I'm such a BMX retard it sad. Might take a closer loko and post pics of the bits when I get home from work if I have chance before I go straight out again with my girlfriend.! weather is shite anyway :-

Olly I had to LMAO when I noticed the bike came with a tectro front brake as standard (you know the sort :P) may take it off to replace with Hombre perhaps. good old wheel relfectors and chain guard too, I was soooo chuffed, really hoped it would have them on :P

Spare set of Bars too, as they manufacturer didn't put the Civilians on as standard lol

You basically do the cups up tight, pretty much. There's not really any of this dicking around like with MTB's. The long axle spacers just go between the cups so you don't press the bearings in, and that's basically it :- Just tighten the R-side, then the L-side, and the job should theoretically be done.

Mine came hideously tight, and it didn't come un-done once.

You basically do the cups up tight, pretty much.  There's not really any of this dicking around like with MTB's.  The long axle spacers just go between the cups so you don't press the bearings in, and that's basically it :-  Just tighten the R-side, then the L-side, and the job should theoretically be done.

Mine came hideously tight, and it didn't come un-done once.

I'm thinking the little allen headed bolts hold the arms on? no 8mm beasts like on MTB?

hehe yup thats my plan ben, will most liekly even sell the tirals bike, as its my final year I don't have much time for it, plus don't see trials as the future after I finish uni and get a real job.

More people locally seem to be into bmx these days, plus its easier to find things to ride, not so limited to ups and side hops etc.

Mark!!!! I am not that new to bmx, I know what i was looking at :P Will get some pics very soon, am still at work atm.

Hmmmmm loving the idea of riding bmx again :-

OK then here are the pics,

First off all the bits which I think are crank spares (i hope they are spare!!) All those bits appear to be slightly different sizes too.

IMG_2456.jpg

Second this is the end of my craks Mark :P and a shot of the current spacing.

11.jpg

the bit with oddysey writing appear to move when i push cranks laterally, I assume its just a case of doing te cups up ?

Cheers everone :-

Ah, fair enough Josh :( Sorry to sound condascending, just read your other posts wrong I guess.

Anyway, Odyssey seem to do weird sorta bolts with 6mm bolts, and bits around them (if you go to the Odyssey site, then check out the Phat Black Widows, you can see 'em there), so it could just be that?

Just had an awesome ride tonight :P Found this sorta weird curb divide thing which is just like standard curb height, then drops down to a little above floor height, then raises up again (so it's like a |--\_____/--| but with a gentler transition, more like a bomb-hole). Anyway, it's pretty tight, but managed to like hop into it, then pump out and 180 out every time. Tried going for a 360, but got 270 and kinda ran out of it but went down and scuffed me knee (Y) Was super nice to ride though, really like pops you out of it...

EDIT: Did you just add those pics Josh? Could've sworn it was picture-less before :S Aaaaaaaanyway, try tightening it. If that doesn't work, maybe try using the shorter internal spacer?

EDIT #2: Didn't see that there was another page :">

It was just that it's got like a perfect shape to it, so you just boost out. When you hop into the downslope, I found if I tweaked the bars right, then tweaked them left just as I was leaving the lip it span me really nicely. Other than that, it was just speed and tuckage :lol:

I just find a lot of speed and a healthy-size pump does the job for most airing issues :)