Bmx Questions

BONGO

I totally fail to see how you can ride such gigantic wide bars without having arms like a gorilla.

anyway - word to the wise. ..

ODI O grips are kuffing sweet (~if you like really thin, soft grips that you can stretch to about 7 or 8 inches long)

and a question.

I've got this quarter to flatbank fakie transfer line thing I like to do but since I've got the coaster I can't do it anymore cos I go too fast down the flatbank and pile into a jump box/hip thingummy before I get a chance to turn round.

so..

what do the freecoaster experts do when they find themselves going backwards too fast to snap out properly? (bearing in mind I haven't mastered the half cab at speed yet)

You can do mini-sliders when you're going full speed. I've had to before, after doing a manual out of this bank, over a flat-top, then 180'ing into a 6ft high, smooth transitioned bank. Manual was done pretty fast, so that coupled with the transition and down-ward sloping floor at the end of the other bank meant I was pacing it. Just did a quick pump with the hips, turned the bars sharply, and kinda lower your weight onto your front pedal so you end up rolling out forwards with your front foot at the bottom. Just adds enough momentum to keep you moving right.

Other than that, put some pedal pressure on and pretend you have a cassette :P

i think i get you - hadn't really considered the front foot thing but maybe im doing it anyway.

The problem with sliders on that surface is that you don't really slow down any - it's like somebody's taken some glass, polished it and then layed a fine coating of loose concrete dust over the top cos they thought it was too grippy.

I'll persist, I'm obviously just a bit too shit to handle the line at the moment

Cassettes back on, loving it, still pegless though. Think i've finally got the hang of boosting out of ramps now, we built some ghetto flat bank, but with a bit of curve so you can boost out of it better, so nice to ride.

Set the bars a bit further foward as well, not chicago style, but they we're a bit too far back before, and thats improved the feel of the bike no end.

So yeah pretty pleased with the bmx ride i just had :)

2 things.

How do you 180 bar spin, i can bar spin, and i can 180, but i just don't seem to be able to put em together.

I would do a 180 think about the pivot on liftoff, then before i know it i am back on the ground, i think its got allot to do with the hight and also i don't get allot of air on my 180's.

would be nice to know how though, it looks neatish!

Also, i have had enough of my f**king profile crankest, first i replace my left crank arm, then still play, replace my right side, still play, then buy a new axle, still play, i have have enough,

So can anyone suggest a new crankest, like BB and all, fairly cheep, and not silver.

For a US BB, cheers guys

(Y)

Leo

Just been thinking about this really, but how come with the bmx as a whole, or to narrow it down street riders, never ride with helmets on? I know i don't because the piss pot one i had is too small now, but after a few falls i've had recently n come out lucky i'm gonna buy another.

But yeah, i've never really understood it.

Get on your bike and back up yourself against a wall or something, and with your knees use the seat to lift the front wheel (wall will make it come up, and not just roll away) and do f**k loads of them. Go both ways, everything, double bar spins etc.

Yeah that basically. And if thats to easy, then just stand over your bike, one leg either side, lift the front up like you would normally for a hop, spin the bars in which ever fashion/way you do, then catch before the front drops again. Its harder to do, but makes you throw them quicker and learn to catch them quicker. You'll probably end up dropping your bike a few times as well, so do it on grass if you need to.

For the actual catching bit you can either do them edwin style, and follow the bars around with whichever hand you spin tem, or the way most people do by just spinning, then catching with the hand you spun with a little bit before the following hand, then straighten your bars out for the landing.

Yeah, like what fatty and huck it says, but sorta do a slow manual sorta thing on grass and lock your legs on the seat and just practice spinnin and catching.

I've totally lost what little ability I used to have to do them but the back against wall thing is the best way to learn to catch them. get it so you can catch doubles like that without looking at the bars and you're not gonna fall off doing a moving one

knee problems, frame geometry and seat position mean I can't pinch my seat anymore - any tips on doing them without seat pinching?

Edited by poopipe

I've totally lost what little ability I used to have to do them but the back against wall thing is the best way to learn to catch them. get it so you can catch doubles like that without looking at the bars and you're not gonna fall off doing a moving one

knee problems, frame geometry and seat position mean I can't pinch my seat anymore - any tips on doing them without seat pinching?

Put your seat post right up and tie a big ass towl to the sadle so u can pinch with thighs?

looks stupid, but it works.

I can't really pinch with the height and size of my seat, so when i do them i tip my left foot (foward foot) up on the pedal so my toes are pointing upwards, and my back foot down so it lowers my knees and gives me a tiny amount of grip on the seat. But most of it comes down to just getting your upper half in the right position when you throw them, so lean forward so you don't go over the back. Saying that though, i only do them at lower speeds now lol.

Watch eddie cleveland ride too :P

Had another amazing ride today, we've found some old warehouse thing, loads of pallets and flexy board so we've made a quater, wall ride, jump box, bunny hop bar, and a manual box out of it. So yeah had a real fun day riding it.

Decided to actually learn how to bunny hop higher as well, as before mine were pretty poo, so got a still from some phone video. I did manage a little higher, but i never recorded any of the others.

bunnyhopcutcoolourcutt.jpg

Ramps we made:

Yeah the whole panorama thing went tits up but ahh well

DSC00224.jpg

Jump box (quater is right at the back)

DSC00225.jpg