All Things 24"!

Tom_C

I know there is only a minority of Trials riders that use 24" wheels but I wanted to get a decent list off all the rims and tyres available as obviously there is only a relatively small choice compared to 26".

Rims:

Mavic-XY rim 31mm wide, 490gm, 36h, Good luck finding one,

Arrow Racing-DHX, 749 gr, 37mm wide, small braking surface.

Arrow Racing-XCL, 449gr, 27mm wide, 25.4 braking surface.

Arrow Racing-FRX, 540gr, 27mm wide, think they're disc only.

Halos- (any kind) Really heavy, strong rim, SAS, Freedom and Combat. AVOID

Tioga-Factory DH, 545gr, eyeletted, 35mm (see Rich 4130's post about them)

Sun-Rhyno Lite XL-500gr, welded and eyeletted, good rim+

Single Track rim-strong, sketchy on details.+ Sun Double Wide-ugly, 47mm wide, Very Heavy+ Sun Mammoth, again heavy and not that strong!

DMR-Deevee rim, disc or non disc versions available, 32mm wide, strong, 640gr, pinned, eyeletted.

Atomlab-Trailpimp- 810gr!, 34mm, 32 or 36h, 32mm braking surface, black

Atomlab-GI Street; 787gr, 32mm, 36h, 24.5mm braking surface, black

Atomlab-GI Dirt; 620gr, 32 or 36h, gun metal grey,

Atomlab-Trailpimp DHR; 650gr, 32 or 36h, 29mm braking surface, black

Alex DX32, Nice pinned rim, used for 24seven wheelsets.

Planet X-BMF, wide rim, very strong, pinned.

Tyres:

Arrow Racing-Launch,24 x 2.35 850gm,

Arrow Racing-Blitz, 24 x 2.35 750gm 60tpi mediumwall

Halo-Choir Boy/Choir Boy Lite: 2.3 width, good rear tyre, 940gr, 17.99

DMR-Moto: Dirt/Street tyre, weak sidewalls, better ran at high pressures. 2.2 width,980gr (ish)

DMR Moto Digger-Square profile, 2.3 width, quite light 800gr, 14.99

Tioga- New Blue Dragon, 4X tyre although looks promising, 2.1, 690gr

Tioga-Comp 3; 2.1, 720gr.

Tioga-Comp X tyre, 2.1, 66tpi, 14.99,

Primo Dirt Monster-2.2, similar to Moto, BMX tradeoff tyre.

Maxxis-High Roller, 2.5/ 2.70, sounds like a good rear tyre choice, 22-24.99

Maxxis-Maxx Daddy/Holy Roller, 1.85, 640 gr, cheap.

IRC Kujo Tyre,2.35/ 3.0, heavy, strong sidewalls.

Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 24x2.50 Wire 1140g £26.99

Nokian Gazzaloddi, 2.6/3.0, 1400gr, 65tpi, nice square profile tyre, 33.99!

Specialized-Roller Pro 2.5, quite light for size, v grippy

Intense: Downhill FRO Sticky Rubber, 2.35. (FRO=For Race Only so don't expect them to last)

Schwalbe-Al Mighty, 2.35, light, Kris Leeson likes these,

Tubes:

Nokian DH, thick as Fcuk, 350gr, about 6 quid.

Raleigh/taiwanese cheap, light, does the job, cheap.

Or you can use BMX tubes and just stretch them when putting the tube over the rim; worked for my front 26" wheel!

Spokes:

Billys- Halo spokes, 25p each

Custom Riders do loads of spokes.

Thanks to Rich4130 and everyone else for their help! Any other options please list them.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom_Leeson

When I had my ET, the best combo I found was an Intense Fro DH 2.35 on the rear, with a Halo Choir Boy Lite on the front.

I would only run an Intense or an IRC Kujo (you can get 24x2.35 - 3.0 is stupid) on the rear. The Choir Boy compound is very hard, not really suited to the rear of a trials bike.

Adam built my 24's with a pair of Rhyno Lite XL's, and they held up to a good few months pounding.

Tioga Rims

Taken from tiogausa.com.

FACTORY DH 24" & 26" Rim

Double wall aluminum construction

Stainless steel double eyelets

Knurled wall to prevent tire slippage

35mm width

Disc brake only; 32h or 36h

24" 545g; 26" 590g

Black with white stripe

Sounds f**king good!

Eyelets,

35mm wide (echo rim is 38)

545g

Could be THE 24" rim for trials.

One Minor Problem....

DISK ONLY :bunny:

I'll keep looking...

EDIT:

The last time I saw Mr Ashton running them he had the disc spec ones with a ground sidewall on them.

I am not sure if these differ from the rim brake versions though as I havent really looked at the specs.

hmm..

Edited by rich4130

• 4 weeks later...

may as well put my experience's with 24" stuff in here.

rims

atomlab aircorp - very strong rim, reasonable weight (650g-ish see somewhere above) but the sidewalls need the black coating grinded or filed off, as soon as some water gets on it, it goes slick. still a good rim though!

dmr deevee - cheap, seem to be strong so far. no trouble with them what so ever. got mine from wiggle for £16

+ p&p

Tires

Intense FRO DH - the daddy of tires so far, very very grippy. really thick stiff sidewalls, running about 15 -20 psi in the back and no punctures and i have twatted it a few times. the tread is fairly soft but lasting fairly well i would say about probably get about 2 1/2 to 3 months use out of it. its a thin 2.35 that a thinner that the irc kujo dh. fairly heavy but it confidence inspiring tire!

IRC Kujo DH - good tire, long lasting, hard tread, but offers good grip. lasted about 6 months before the sidewalls start to get really thin and would then puncture easily. but overall a very good tire. the 2.35 is plenty wide enough. lighter than the intense

Tioga Comp III 2.1 - hard tread, but last ages, and wards off punctures pretty well. would be a bit better if it had a squarer profile, but good front tire and pretty lightish.

if you are stuck for a tube a 26" one can be used with no problems. but i normally use bog standard rayleigh/halfords 24" and both seem fine.

finding a wheel builder can be hard i went to stif and they wouldn't do it and neither would a another couple of bike shops, but manage to find one that would and was alright.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i've yet to find the right size spokes to fit my 24" wheels (tart said all the spokes u could get were shite)

i need GOOD spokes in 235, 236 and 238mm lengths. preferebly in black.

as for rims i'm using atomlab DHR front and back. with tioga comp3 up front and tioga factory dh-24 on the back (i have a fairly large supply of these lol) but i didnt pay for any of either rims or tyres :-

apparently these tyres are about the best you can get

i want the rhyno xl rims though i think they're by far the best ones

Edited by the boon

i've yet to find the right size spokes to fit my 24" wheels (tart said all the spokes u could get were shite)

Im sure Billys will do atleast the latter two of those, maybe 235 too, and in black, there halo ones, but work ok.

rich

Edited by rich4130

as for rims i'm using atomlab DHR front and back. with tioga comp3 up front and tioga factory dh-24 on the back (i have a fairly large supply of these lol) but i didnt pay for any of either rims or tyres :P

apparently these tyres are about the best you can get

i want the rhyno xl rims though i think they're by far the best ones

yeah i ended up with f**king shite spokes on my wheels :- aaahh well they do the job, just! snapped one of them the other night!!

yeah rear tyres are a pain, my lovely hard ass intense has bugger all tred on it, got a new specialized high roller pro, but has the thinnest sidewalls on it, punctured twice on sunday with a nokian dh tube in it!! (Y)

Someone is running a 2.7 maxxis in theirs so they must fit. Not sure about forks having clearance... will have to see. It's somewhat overkill on the front, but i don't care.

I've heard the kenesis forks are light-weight xc ones... not sure what abuse they'd stand. Let us know how the ashton copies are.

Jon

• 1 month later...