How To Get A Stuck Crank Of A Bb

Davetrials

Well there has been a few post, so i thort id make a post

You can either.

Place a peice of wood against the crank, and bash it off with a large hammer.

(be carefull, it usually flys of rather fast)

Ride with no crank bolt, it will work it self loose.

(only if nothing else works you should do this, as it may round your crank off)

Heat it up so it expands, thus loosening the crank off.

(you will most probly have a big brown stain on your cranks, were they have burnt)

If all else fails, repeat step one, but bash it harder.

:(

From Sexymike

just a little tip

this is the best i cud find

put the crank on a vice with the bb inbetween (meaning u need to open it a touch)

u will have to get someone to hold the bike to

put the bolt into the bb and hit it, so that the bb *and bike* will fall out of the crank as it remains on the vice

Easy money.

:S

Edited by Davetrials

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Heat it up so it expands, thus loosening the crank off.

(you will most probly have a big brown stain on your cranks, were they have burnt)

If you heat it until the metal is discoloured/burnt, you run the risk of changing the materials properties,and without cooling them down properly you can render the cranks VERY hard, but brittle, and if that happens the next time the crank hits a rock it would shatter.

Just something to bear in mind.

Edited by jake1516

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Haha, I can't believe in a thread about removing cranks only one person has mentioned crank removing tool, and other people are talking about setting fire to things, HAHAHAHA!!!

Park tool, screw in the outer bit into the crank arm, wind away, it'll get hard to turn, take a mallet to it, work taht crank off nice and slow, no bashing your expensive crank with a hammer or burning the bloody thing (christ, extreme aint you you lot!!!)!!

Davey

• 2 months later...

used to have this struff which was like wd40 but came out black and kind of gritty, and basically it works its way into the tiniest lil pinholes or wateva and gets to places that wd40 or tf2 or wat ever you use would never get and thats what i used to get my cranks off, also yea jus get some boiling water pour it over the CRANKS (try to avoit the bb) and the cranks will expand slightly which should make it easier, and also if your cranks are alu and thee bb is steel, then the cranks will expand at a higher rate and will come off easy... cheers.... adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing is obviosly a Crank Extractor, which everywhere stocks! even most holfords!

If the thread is stripped (in which case someones been a tit :S ) then by far the bset method along time before heating/whacking with a hammer is to go and borrow an oldschool fly wheel puller IPB Image

That kinda thing, but the ones with adjustable arms, and hook the arms behind the crank, and just pull it off asif you were using a crank extractor! so easy, but I'm yet to see anyone but myself try it :lol:

• 1 month later...

I stripped the thread on my driveside Middleburn (and yes I was using a Park crank extractor correctly - it was just too tight) so I had to resort to a fly wheel puller (as suggested by 'Don't you just hate it when') and it works like a dream.

I would recommend it to anyone stuck in the same situation - especially as it meant I didn't have to saw my Middleburn.

However, I'm not sure how it'd work on non-driveside cranks - may require extra bodging.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Haha, I can't believe in a thread about removing cranks only one person has mentioned crank removing tool, and other people are talking about setting fire to things, HAHAHAHA!!!

Park tool, screw in the outer bit into the crank arm, wind away, it'll get hard to turn, take a mallet to it, work taht crank off nice and slow, no bashing your expensive crank with a hammer or burning the bloody thing (christ, extreme aint you you lot!!!)!!

Davey

I agree! Don't much like the idea of destroying my cranks arms :|