Pad Reviews

Mark W

rock blue pads: these are pretty much the same performance as a set of plazmatic crms, but have more hold and work decent in the wet :o

had mine off new grinds a few times is sick, but they are also at home on supa worn out grinds and accept tar well, go just daft on tar, like noisy as fuk and bitey :huh::blink:

Just brought some brand new Plaz of Tarty put them on fresh medium grind and there wank, No noise, No hold, No Bite. Just make a swoosh noise. Whats going on !

I've ridden them for about 20 minutes aswell, I think thats well long enough for them to bed in.

Rim is a KrisHolm by the way :)

You don't put water on plazzies :lol: . If their making a swooshing noise you either:

Havn't ridden round dragging the brake for 20-30 feet to bed them in.

Havn't Ground your rim properly and they aren't gripping to it.

Have them set up wonky so their hitting the rim at odd angles.

I bet you either £5 or a mcdonalds meal i can get them to work perfectly (prize is chosen at my discretion :P )

Pads: Monty Long

Rim: Zhi 26" 48mm

Grind: Worn harsh grind = fairly smooth

Brake: 04 HS33 on A1 with CNC mounts - very stiff setup

Time Used: 3 days

Best pads used so far: Coustsinks

Opinion of a perfect brake:

Varied. Loud and aggressive or fairly strong and quiet.

Review:

With respect to all the Monty components, I just can't believe they could produce such poor pads. They are weak, develop a high pitch squeak if pushed to the limits of their grip; other than that, they're dead silent. I guess this pad is fine for chilled riding and for pro comp riders who from my experience don't really need a strong brake. These pads have good modulation but no bite at all. I can happily reccomend these to riders who are more into street moves and require a silent brake with more power than normal black pads. Other than that - I think they're useless.

need advise....

for a brake for comps...

i want a set of pads for the back,

with a grind.....pref not though,

sqweek..pref

MUST

WORK VERY GOOD IN THE WET...

...preff with a sqweek

thanks

Phat pads! i must have said this over ten times but these pads really are the BEST...They are only not recommended by people because no one actually uses them besides a select few riders, including myself and Mike Singleton.

Buy some for christ sake!

Pads: Blue rock pads

Brake: 05 maggy, water bleed, no booster (adamant A3 frame...)

Rim used: 06 echo

Grind: yes, light sharp

Time used: 3-4 weeks

Opinion on a working brake: Locks suddenly, loud, doesnt slip at all, no modulation

Pads used: you name them, iv used em...

Best pads yet? hell yeah...

Reveiw...

Bought these pads 3-4 weeks ago, and put them on my bike, hard to set up, cause they kept touching the rim :P stoopid wide rims n thin frames :P

Once i got them set up perfect... wow, these pads are awesome... loud as fook as soon as you put them on... bite was good aswell, very good... they didnt slip one bit... and they just got better and better...

They are the only pads which work in the wet... i think these pads work better in the wet to be honest... they are loud as fook still in wet, and still bite and dont slip at all...

These pads are the only pads im ever going to use whilst they are in production :mellow:lol im that pleased with these pads, i recommend EVERYONE buys a pair...

P.S, they have only worn down a very small ammount aswell, and they have seamed to stop wearing down now aswell...

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: JoyPads

Rim: Koxx tryall

Grind: Yes, medium

Brake: Magura, factory bleed, adamant lever blade and control booster

Time Used: Couple rides

Best pads used so far: Plaz crm or Zoo

Opinion of a perfect brake: Lots of lock, bite and hold.

Review: Got them in the post and they looked very home made, which I like personally. Put them on and bedded them in during the course of two days, rode them properly today and they are so so good, they give a very good bite with plenty of lock and the noise they produce is very confidence insipiring. I would reccomend these pads super highly, riding something that someone has put alot of effort into is something I value too. :) Ali C = Top bloke.

Pads: Rock Pads Blue

Rim: Kris Holm

Grind: Medium

Brake: 05 lever, braided crossover, water bleed, NO booster.

Time Used: 2 weeks.

Best pads used so far: These in the wet, probably zoo in the dry(with tar)

Opinion of a perfect brake: Lots of bite, Very good hold.

Review: These pads are awesome, when i firstput them on they squeeked really loudly first time, they took about 5 mins of just normal riding in my garden to bed in, and now theyre even better, performance is exactly the same in the rain, first ride i had was in fareham in the proing rain, and they worked perfect, would deffo reccomend these pads to anyone. proper good likes.

Pads: heatsink reds CNC

Brake: 04 maggy, no booster , oil

Rim used: koxx

Time used: a week or so

Opinion on a working brake: Locks suddenly, loud, doesnt slip at all, no modulation

Pads used: everything basically

Reveiw... I got the pads second hand, loads of meat left, tenner, its deal, the kid didnt like them, i put them on at a train station on the way to reading, had a fresh grind and straight away WTF the best brake ever, doesnt slip, feels solid, load as fook, can be set up perfectly, when i say it doesnt slip, i mean nothing at all, went natty riding in an evening up the woods in ft deep mud, go up some logs and they are still holding incredibly, but have lost they're honk.

THE best pads ive used although PHAT pads next, i also wish to try koxx browns on the cnc backings

EDIT: Update:

Brake: 05 maggy, no booster , water

Time used: around 3months

Reveiw... now next to no pad left and they are still working very well, the honk they produce is unreal and i scare people in bus stops... i will soon be whacking on the phat pads but i still need glue...

overall review: good shit

THE best pads ive used although PHAT pads next, i also wish to try koxx browns on the cnc backings

Edited by ash-kennard

Brake: 04 maggy, no booster , oil

Time used: a week or so

Reveiw... I got the pads second hand, loads of meat left, tenner, its deal, the kid didnt like them, i put them on at a train station on the way to reading, had a fresh grind and straight away WTF the best brake ever, doesnt slip, feels solid, load as fook, can be set up perfectly, when i say it doesnt slip, i mean nothing at all, went natty riding in an evening up the woods in ft deep mud, go up some logs and they are still holding incredibly, but have lost they're honk.

How do you get the Koxx material out on the plastic backing without f**king up the compound? Knife? the heat from the oven makes the pad crap in my experience.

How do you get the Koxx material out on the plastic backing without f**king up the compound? Knife? the heat from the oven makes the pad crap in my experience.

no idea, i imagine ill either get mr singleton to try, ill just cut them off or i will ask mr savage to try and get some of the compound for me as ben savage uses them in CNC backings so it can be done.

Pads: heatsink vebackings, Joypad blue rubber

Brake: Avid ultimate, onza vee adapters, XTR booster, linear slick cable and SD7 lever.

Time used: couple of months total

Opinion on a working brake: Decent lock, As much hold as humanly possible, silent

Pads used: on the vee: coust, koxx green, on the maggy: koxx brown, green, yellow and red, coust, monty, plaz.........

Reveiw...

I first got a set of these pads last autumn and put them on my vee and they were awsome, i was running no booster and dewhore arms an they were as loud as any magura i had ever had (don't like loud brakes), they had as much bite as a magura too but loads more hold, it would take alot to make them slip (remember i am 19.5st) but then i changed them to try coust rubber, but i have now gone back to joypads again, they have more bite tha the cousts on my new setup (ultimate, xtr etc) and the hold is stupid, more hold than any brake i have tried, so i am very happy with them (Y)

Adam