Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: coustellier pads

Time used: 2-3 months

Rim used: mavic ex721

Grind: nope

Brake used: 04 maggie, monty compensator, coust pads, maggie carbon fibre booster and a shimano xtr carbon booster. :)

What is your opinion of a working brake?

some modulation, yet will lock on when needed.

How do they compare to previous pads?

simply the best

Review:

recieved the pads off fat mike, fitted them and WOW. rim was smooth as hell not even clean. with the rim clean and the pads also it lets out the loudest squeak ever and locks on so well its amazing. now its my tyre that slips and not my brake. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Pads: heatsink konig

Time used: 3 hours

Rim used: Onza Hog rim

Grind: yes (rough)

Brake used: 05 maggy, echo booster, heatink konig pads.

lock without slipping, a really good bite

How do they compare to previous pads?

Absolutly amazing

Review:

Steve sent me the pads on friday at dinner time, I received them on saturday morning. I spent mose of my morning grinding my rim and setting up my brake.

When I tryed the brake without being on the bike, it gave out the loadest squeek ever! but the power was emense! I went riding, and it just bit and held all the time :P

:D

pads-plaz CRM

time used-12+

rim used-onza ronnie

grind?-yes medium fresh

brake used-standard maggie bled with water and r.b.booster

what is your opion of a working brake-but of moudlation , squeek and can hold on edges of things

how do these pads compare to previous pads?-

well i used zoos on a dead grind and they where the bees knees BUT where shit in the wet-i now run a grind with my plaz and they have not wore one but and work awsome wet or dry.

:D

mini man

review-

awsome pads i recommend them to anyone with a grind and who lives in places where it has shit weather-PLYMOUTH.

awsome pads , not as good as zoos but can be ran on grind so tis all good. :P

get some

Edited by mini MAN

Pads: rim jam greens

Time used: 4 hours

Rim used: koxx

Grind: fresh medium

Brake used: Magura, RB echo control booster on rear of a zoo! boa

What is your opinion of a working brake: Must hold solid but also bite well, modulatin a bonus but not necessary as i manual without the brake :)

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Rediculously good - previous pads were koxx brown, instant bite and lock solid.

Review: Got these from dave @ tarty on friday morning, rode street for 2 hours on saturday till i got piss wet through, went out for 2 more hours of street tonight and the pads are 75% gone, i doubt i will see another ride out of them :)

Definitely the best pads ive ever used but definitely not worth a tenner for 1 good long days riding,

The pads were set up perfectly square and bedded in instantly with a good loud honk and awesome bite. After the 1st 2 hour ride the pads had worn at an angle (i guess due to the pads being a sloppy fit in the guides, the brake was bollocked up tight), reset the brake tonight and the same happened again, i now have 2 pads that are worn at such an angle that ill only get another 2 hours out of them!!!

Pic shows wear rate from 4 hours of riding pretty mild street, awesome pads but will die in a good days riding with a grind :|

gallery_6335_923_14265.jpg

Pads:Plaz CRM

Rim used: Ronnie

Grind: nope

Time Used: over 7 hours

Brake used: Magura hs-33 (water bled) on a t-rex(stiff as owt)

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks and dosent let go

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Great pads on a clean with a small bit of tar, really power full and hold amazingly well

Review:Recieved these pads on wednesday and set them up, and they where performance straight from the pack, if there still beading in god knows what my brake will be like!!! They hold amazingly well, held on the edge of a wall amazingly well! My friend ran these pads on a grind for ages (around 4-6 months) and theres still around 2mm of compound left on the pads.

Quality pads straight from the pack, 10/10, easily better then monty x-hydras on a grind (Y)

Edited by Tom Booth

Pads: Koxx Bloxx, Reds

Time Used: 6+ hours

Rim Used: DX32

Grind: medium - harsh

Brake Used: Magura HS33, mag lever with RB lever blade, water blead and home made carbon booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Must be Bitey, and have alot of hold (i am a bigman u know) and not to wear to fast.

How do they compare to previou pads used: I have used a fair few different pads, these are deffinatly in the top 1-3 i have used.

Review: i put these pads on, set them up perfect and went out for a ride, nice frsh grind etc, the initial bed in wear seemed alot, more than some other pads that i have used, but once bedded in they have not shown any other signs of wear, even though it has not beed long, i will update after the next week of busy riding calender.

They are very bitey, and have a loverly sound, they don't sound like normal koxx bloxx, they are more like coust pads, which is nice, and re-assures me that my brake is working.

They hold very well as well, after 2-3 hours of ahrd natural today they have not let me down once, and have always worked when asked.

I would deffinalty recomend these pads.

Adam

Pads: Plazmatic CRM

Time used: couple of rides - street and natural

Rim used: mavic EX721

Grind: Yes, fresh

Ceraminc: N/a

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: one that stops me landing on me arse

Previous pads: Monty X-Hydras (orange ones??), Koolstop reds, magura blacks, megamo clear

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: much much better

Review: best pads ever, always wanted a pair and when my last set of koolstops died i decided to buy in bulk! best decision ive made, much more lock than any other pad, good durability, nice noise if thats what you like, and i didnt even notice them having to bed in. immediately made the lever feel stiffer and gave me confidence to go for rail ups, drop gaps and general moves i would have thought "hang on if my brake slips..." before i booted up with these.

they are pricey at £15 a pair but if u think about the wear on rim jams, koolstops and others i think they have to be best value.

help me ride in confidence

Pads:

Rim Jam Blues

Time used:

2 pairs over a few months

Rim used:

Try-all

Tar:

Yes, alot.

Grind:

No

Ceraminc: No

No

Brake used:

Magura 04, as standard. Onza carbon booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake:

Something that will hold so well, that the tyre will slip befor the brakes do. Don't care about modulation.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:

I have used magura standards, kool stops, and monty hydras. They are very similar to the monty hydras, maybe slightly softer compound. But performance wise rimjam are the best.

Review:

With me having a try-all rim in a t-lite frame the pads needed alot of wearing down. After they were worn down they worked great. Worked well with tar, and held very well. Unfortuneatly the clips broke, as they were the old backings. I got a free replacement, the new backings sit slightly further back than the old ones, so the brakes were just about right and didn't need wearing in like the old ones. Again, a good brake that i was happy with. Untill the clips broke of these.

So overall they were a good performing brake, the wear rate was excellent, in fact, becuase of my difficult setup the blocks could never be set up squear onto the rim. When i took both pairs of blocks off, there was some parts of the pad that actuly had never come into contact with the rim at all. So i think it's fair to say these blocks would last ages if it wasn't for the clips beating it to it.

A perfect compound for me, but the performance of the backing it pathetic.

Will be trying the heastink reds and zoo pads soon.

Edited by JT!

Pads: V!Z clear (spanish fly copies)

Time used: 4 hours

Rim used: Onza reggie

Tar: none

Grind: none

Brake used: magura 04 front

What is your opinion of a working brake: something that holds when needed

How do they compare to previous pads you've used: They bit very well but faded very quickly

Review:

The pads were mint to start with, they locked and held giving a very high pitched squeek and i was very impressed. After about 4 hours of riding the rh pad fell apart completely and i had to put my koxx bloxx back on :P

Not worth the money at all and theyre badly made :)

pads-koxx bloxx browns (for j.t)

time used-1 hour

rim used-onza ronnie

tar-none

grind-yes

brake used-magura , with r.b booster , standard everything else

what is your opion of a working brake?-lock , lots of moudulation and no squeek(ive changed my mind ok (Y) )

how do they compare to prewvious used pads-not as god as plaz but there silent so thaths a plus

review-ok pads nice and silent whihc is whay i like , seem to be ok , might have to re-grind with a silllyie harsh grind but well see.

Edited by mini MAN

Pads: Magura Black

Time used: A year

Rim used: Mavic D521 Ceramic

Grind: No

Ceraminc: Yes

What is your opinion of a working brake: One that modulates smoothly yet locks up so it doesnt slip down when I land on an edge.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:Around the same

Review: Damn cheap. Standard with Maguras. Lock solid when set up properly. Before anyone takes the piss, ive been riding 8 years and have used plaz pads on grinds, montys, magura reds, most everything. These modulate the best and lock really solid too, its probably down to the ceramic.

So if youre running one of those shitty wide rims, steer clear as you wont find them loud and cool enough for your TF steed - however if you have a ceramic rim then go for it as you wont need anything better ever!

Pads: Rimjam blues

Time used: 1 and a half months

Rim used: Sun ditch whitch

Ceraminc: Its a smooth black rim so (Yes/No)

Brake used: Magura 04

What is your opinion of a working brake: Some modulation, instant bite, holds really well.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: The previous pads i used was magura pads and they are much much better !

Review:They are really good pads. I dont have a very good rear rim on becuase it is black and its really smooth so i think these pads will be even better with a bit of a grind on the rim which i will do soon. They take aaaagggeess to wear down aswell. (Y)

Pads:

Rim Jam greens

Time used:

1 pair over about 3-4 months

Rim used:

Try-all / onza

Tar:

no

Grind:

yes medium

No

Brake used:

Magura 04, with homemade booster

What is your opinion of a working brake:

stops you when required , bites and doesnt slip

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:

theyre good less spongy to koolstops

Review:

well f**k me it seems ive got the only set of green rimjams that havent worn down :(

not too sure why , but mine do their job as and when required and thats all i look for in pads , best pads ive used yet

PADS

Koxx Bloxx brown

Time used:

6 Hours, including bedding them in

Rim used:

Onza Ronnie

Tar?

No

Grind?

Yes, medium

Brake used

Magura '03, plastic magura hosing, water bled, echo booster, 4 bolt mounting

Something that'll under my weight and pressure and in wet weather. With a fair amount of bite, and noise.

How do they compare to your previous pads?

They have alot more hold and bite than my zoo pads with tar, and when used on a grind.

Had alot more bite and alot hold than plasmatics on tar.

More bite than Red koxx bloxx on a grind.

Theyre also alot more solid.

Review

even though my koxx bloxx are still bedding in, and adjusting to the rim, they have ALOT more hold and bite than any other pad/rim combonation ive ever used before. They still work awesome in the wet.....they just have a little less bite, but still hold the same(ish)

EDIT: Koxx bloxx red pads are the better pads IMO......Koxx Bloxx brown pads need tar to make them work good.

Edited by dan_t-lite

• 2 weeks later...

Pads:rimjam blue's

Time used:20 rides, approx 75 hours use

Rim used: sun fat mamoth

Grind: Yes/No yes, was medium now gentle

Ceraminc: Yes/No no

Brake used: Magura/V maggura, goodridge hose, water bleed no booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: one that will lock the rear wheel and hold on gaps and when scuffing up a slope

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:good

Review:good pads in terms of grip, not amazing, they seem to work better on natural when very slightly damp but not amazingkly on street when they're dry. the hotter the weather the better grip for street. riding natural i rode through a bog, had mud and shit all over my rim and the still held quite well.

major downside is they are the second pair of rimjams to fall apart on me! first the reds ripped aparts on an up and now th blues have ripped apart on the set up for a gap!!!

if they stayed together and i could trust them then they'd be good cheap pads but as they don't and i can't i'm looking at getting something different when i can afford to

oh yeah and wear rate - non existment, they don't apper to have worn down at all!!!

Edited by spunkey_monkey_boy

Pads: Heatsink Konig

Time used:4-5weeks

Rim used:d521

Brake used: Magura HS33 04

What is your opinion of a working brake:locks on solidly, yet can still rub without locking for manual type moves.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:absolutely amazing

Review: Got the new Heatsink prototypes a few weeks ago, put them on and were pretty good. Once I bedded them in and got back into riding after a two week break, they are absoultely amazing, I have the best brakes I have ever tried, and everyone who has ridden my bike agrees with me.

Get these pads.

Pads:Heatsink Konigs

Time used: 1 week

Rim used: Onza 20" david

Grind: Yes - dead

Ceramic: No

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks and doesnt slip when im riding, unless its on the very edge of a sloped wall, or something similar. I love bite too.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Better than koxx yellows. On par with koxx reds, maybe slightly better bite.

Review: Bashed them on an bugger me, amazing. Didnt even really need to bed in, the could not slip. Best pads i had ever used, they had a lovely honk, and were just perfect. One week later, and i didnt particularly want to be running on the lovely power pad backings, so i had to purchase......

Pads: Koxx Reds

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: Onza 20" david

Grind: Yes - dead

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks and doesnt slip when im riding, unless its on the very edge of a sloped wall, or something similar. I love bite too.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Better than the softer yellows, for some crazy reason.

Review: Woop woop, i didnt even have to let them bed in, again. Yet still they are great, i cannot fault them. Almost as good bite as konigs, pretty much the same lock. They've let me down once, but it was a pretty steep rock, and my grind is practically gone. The honk is also quiet reassuring, and i cant see any signs of them wearing. At a guess, id say ill get a good 9 months or so out of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Pads:Heatsink Clears

Time used: 6 months ish...

Rim used: koxx dairylea rim (26")

Grind: Yes depends on if i can be arsed, from super sharp to super crap

Brake used: Magura, evil hose splitter, plaggy hose, some crappy booster i made

What is your opinion of a working brake: when engaged with minimal effort, the wheel will not move at all.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: used plazzies before, liked the extra firmness of the pads.

Review: crammed them on set them up and had to wear them in. Went on a ride and they were pretty good on a spanking new grind. as the grind wore down they got worse so out came the tar...these pads didnt work too well with a tared rim. wore all the tar off and hey presto, a good brake again. they then got worse when the grind totally died, which to be fair most pads will. out cam the tar.

crammed a new grind on and they were super good again. The in got loads hotter and these pads became alot better...left my bike out in the sun while i had some food and when i went back out, they had super bite.

Wear rate: after 6 months of riding, they have worn down about 3ish mm's....pretty good to say i do manuels and generally drag my rear brake.

super service by the steve too....

Pad name: rimJAM Blues

Rim: tried several

Grind: Tried with and without

Tar: Tried with and without

Time tested for: Only a month until the second of the two pads broke

My opinion of a working brake: Something that reduces your velocity without causing physical damage

Review: DANGEROUS to use on the rear unless you only ride very small and smooth things, but could be ok as a front pad. When I got the pads, I was impressed by the braking power, and the brakes gave a nice sound. However, after an hour this sound had diminished and the brakepads lost power, until they became fairly slippy, and eventually I had to use in combination with tar (which was what I was trying to avoid, as it sort of defeats the object in softer pads).

My first pad ripped off the backing while trying to backwheel up a bench, which luckily I managed to bail out of without much injury, although the pad itself I found some 10 metres away, where it "pinged" off!

Thinking that it was just a one-off, I continued riding, using a rimjam blue and a koolstop with my new, ground onza hog rim (previously I was using an onza dx32, the same material as ronnies, etc). The performance was great, with bucket loads of modulation and reasonable hold, until soon the backing decided to totally rip in half, with the pad attatched to one half of this backing. Unfortunately it happened while I was attempting a 9 foot gap to backwheel, and resulted in the bike looping out onto my back, which I had only previously got over suffering problems with after a couple of years of heavy chyropractic care. I also lost a lot of skin on my arms and had to wear a bandage for a week, although it seems to have healed up ok now.

The pad material is ok, if not a little under-powered after bedding in for use on the rear (as I said before, it would be better for a front brake possibly), however the backings are dangerous, and I hope rimjam can sort out this problem, as everyone seems to be having this problem lately.

Edited by SQuiT-man

Pads: plaz crm's

Time used: month

Rim used: Onza 20" ronnie

Grind: Yes and no

simply the best brake i have used for bite.

i read this topic about a month ago i couldnt decide between these and koxx bloc's, what a good decision for these in the end.

with a grind these are amazing lock as amazing. not great for modulation as bite is so vicous.

i used to use tar all the time now it just isnt needed :S

saying that though in the wet they are not the best and without a grind they were very poor.

awsome summer pads with good wear and great bite. highly recommended

Pads: heatsink vees

Time used:2-3 hours

Rim used: chrome bmx sun big shity

Grind: on chrome??? :S

Ceraminc: nah

Brake used: evolver U BRAKE, dirt harry, clarks cable

What is your opinion of a working brake: LOCKS well, not too loud

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: i have used clarks 1x4 copies, the actual 1x4 pads, hombre greens and hombre blacks. the heatsinks really do kick the shit through them.

Review: well, i stuck them on, had to adjust the brake etc and do all those shinanigans as the pads are very thick (good, lots of material). i set them up flat to the rim as you can not really toe them in as the backings will not flex.

i rode out of my garden and pulled the brake, it squeaked like a banshee but locked with minimal effort. i have nevery really had the confidence to pull up hard to try abubacas and fufanus ( because of the break slipping) and as such iv never really been able to do them. but after about 5 minutes i had a little fufanu, going up and pivoting off, i hope to have them properley soon. in essence, they lock and hold my fat ass.

the downside of these pads. they are soft and thick and as such do squish a bit. however. they are so sticky that you dont need to put much presure on the lever so the lever never really flexes the pads too much. im not sure about wear rate yet, but i would imagine being quite soft that they will wear quite quickley.

the biggest plus about these pads is the price, 15 quid includin p+p and 6 quid refils. fantastic :D

i was correct about the rapido wear

well after using the pads for quite a while ow i can say for sure the wear has slowed down greatley so i am quite happy.

Edited by mathuds0

• 3 weeks later...

Pads: Heatsink Batch B Yellow

Time used: 2 months

Rim used: Try-All

Grind: Dead

Tar: Yes

Brake used: Magura Hs33 2004 royalblood

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good on and off bite and hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Not bad at all, comes just behind Heatsink Batch C Blues... Way better than Koxx Brown, Koolstops, and Magura Blacks on my rim...

I got these pads off a friend, there was about 7mm of pad material left and felt really bad at first... Then after smearing a tiny bit of tar on... the brake started to work magnificently... Even when tar wore off, and I cleaned the pads, the braking was still awesome, I still get one or two little slips when I land funny, but overall these pads are awesome, the wear rate is pretty good, I can't see any siginifact pad wear in the last few weeks, the modulation is not so great as this brake setup I used was all about lock and bite instant. These pads give a really nice high pitched squeak which inspires confidence into me when riding :P Would buy these pads again if they were still produced :D

Edited by Sponge

Pads: Heatsink Honigs

Time used: Week (About 15+hours of riding)

Rim used: Onza Ronnie 26"

Grind: Worn

Brake used: Magura HS33 2004

What is your opinion of a working brake: Pads were instantly grabby and make an extremely high pitched squeal. For £6 a set you can't really go wrong. You also get loads of pad.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Had Coust pads before. These Heatsink Honigs are better because they are longer and give a more solid feel at the lever. With Coust pads, they are tiny so if you lock your brake and roll backwards, you feel the pads move in the magura cylinders. Heatsinks are much better. :-

Tar: Should never be used. Ever. Please.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads:Plazmatic CRMs.

Time used:About 40 hours.

Rim used:Rear Mod Onza Ronnie.

Grind? Yes, light.

Tar? Nah. A bit of tar was applied once, and it gave it extra bite.

Wear rate Only trying to wear to the shape of the rim.

Opinion of a working brake Lots of bite, minimal or no modulation, lots of hold under me jumping up and down on the crank arm.

Well they had lots of sound, bite and hold instantley. THE best pads ive ever tried(Heatsink Blues, Koxx Bloxx red/brown, Zoo!). The only pads that come close to it is the Red Koxx Bloxx, just that they have less bite.

Pads: Plaz CRM

Time used: over 2 months

Rim used: echo cnc

Brake: maggy '04

Grind: Yes, sharp as fook, about 5 times, maybe 6 can't renember.

Tar: Only cos' I f**king had to.

Wear rate: n/a

Opinion of a working brake: Good bite, great hold

Review: Utterly dissapointed with this for the first two grinds and about 3 weeks but then f**k me they got really good, still not great great hold but meh it's enough.

Update: After 2 months and a bit they're still good, and No signs of wear (Y) , I compared them to my new set they look exactly the same but with a bit of dirt. Very good wear rate.

Edited by Impacted.