Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Plazmatic CRM

Brake: magura 05 water bleed

Rim used: onza hog rim, 8ish harsh grinds taken

Grind: yes, was fresh, now deadish

Tar: not needed (yet (Y) )

Other pads used: maggy black, kool stops, heatsink yellow, heatsink blue prototypes, Koxx bloxx browns rim jam greens, rim jams blues

Wear rate: very quick at first, but has seamed to stop now

Opinion on a working brake: loud, loads of bite, doesnt slip at all, very little modulation!

Review... as you can see, by the amount of pads iv been through in the last year, i havnt had much of a good rear brake, but the plazmatic CRM's.... possibly the best pads iv ever used? they hold on NEARLY anything, and dont slip, they poo in the wet though, (i dont ride in the wet very often, so thats ok) would defo buy another pair once these have worn out!

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Heatsink Blues

Brake: magura 04, RB blade, water bleed

Rim used: Mavic

Grind: yes

Tar: not needed, at all ever.

Other pads used: maggy black, kool stops, heatsink yellow, Koxx bloxx browns & greens, rim jams blues & reds, Plaz CRM's, + others I'm sure

Wear rate: On what was a pretty harsh grind, they're doing very well, after well over a month of having them, they're about 1/3 worn, and they come with loads of meat on them.

Opinion on a working brake: Bite + hold - lots of it.

Absolutely awesome, they have a fantastic bite, and unbeatable hold - they just don't move. I couldn't ask for more in a pair of pads - go buy some!

Mike. :(

Pads: toxsins

Time used: 5 weeks

Rim used: Try-all

Grind: 4 month old grind

Ceramic: No

Tar:no

These pads are the exact same compound as the koxx bloxx. But for some reason they dont like to be used on harshly grinded rims as they wear out quick. However If you have a real old grind on the rim (mine is 4 months old) they bite a lock up awesome. Also they are really good for modulation with a nice sound on point of lock.

So if you have a smooth rim or a worn out grind there is no better pad than the toxsin pads. For a grind on the rim the work well but wear out quick. They have a nice pink colour and cheap price of £12 for 1 pair and £20 for 2.

adam

Pads: Heatsink Blue

Time Used: 6 weeks

Rim Used: Onza Ronnie

Grind: Old worn, and brand new

Tar: No

Previous Pads Used: Koxx browns, tarty blacks, rimjam greens

How you like your brake: Locks solidly with plenty of bite, but with some modulation.

I got these pads from Steve a few weeks back as my second set of rimjam greens were nion gone after approx 3 weeks. Initially used them with an old worn grind of about 2-3 months. They required no real bedding in, and gave very good street perfomance straight out of the box, no slipping, very good lock and bite and a small amount of modulation, basically the same performance as the rimjam greens i had previously been using. I used these pads for about 30 hours of street riding and saw very little wear (visually i havent measured them). I then re-ground my rim before heading off up to uni. Rode my first natural with them today, and was relatively impressed, with the rim soaked in water they performed reasonably well, on par with any other brake pads ive used in the wet bar the tarty blacks (which were never commercially available).

All in all ive been pretty impressed with the pads, they perform very well in the dry on a worn or fresh grind and perform competantly in the wet, however they are not the best wet pad ive used. If your a fair weather rider then these are definatly worth a look, and would still be plenty good enough in the wet on street, however on wet natural (the hardest test for any brake pad) they hold their own against all other commercially available pads. Wear rates seem to be good on a fairly heftily ground rim, and i can see these lasting fairly well.

Pads: Plazmatic CRM's (Yellow ones)

Time used: Just over 6 Months.

Rim used: Old style Echo for 4 months then Onza Ronnie for 2 months.

Grind: Yes

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura HS33 bled with water.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Has very good hold but with some modulation. Has to have a nice sound.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Without a doubt THE best pads i've used.

Review: When I got these pads I put on a fresh grind, set them up square to the rim using a Credit Card. I went out in my street just playing about for a few minutes and I was amazed! As soon as I pulled my brake they started working and let out a very nice noise. I rode in the park by me for an hour or so and they just kept getting better, awesome lock, bite and sound. In the 6 months or so I've had them they have only worn down about 2mm. Over all I love these pads and don't think I'll be trying any other pads again. (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Majic pads

Time used: 3month

Rim used: Try-all, echo cnc, old skool echo, onza ronnie, alex dx32

Grind:yes

Tar:no

i glue my self a set of pads together, and was AMAZED at there performace, theres 4 of useing the same rubber, and we all have different rims,

my mate has an old skool echo rim and was using coust pads he slipped of the back of his bike 5 times with those f**kers on, went home stuck on sum majics and his brake was near perfect

i used on my echo CNC rim, and the performance was AMAZAZING i to have used these blow all pads i have ever used out of the water,

another friend, used an onza ronnie rim a VERY VERY f**ked one at that, and this guy cant set bikes up for shit his brake was all over the show, and still these pads maintained an EXCELLENT perfromance

another friend rides mod and has a 19" alex dx32 we tryed every f**king brake pad under the sun to get this guys brake to work, its not been the set up its always been perfect but his brake just sucked, stuck on some home mades and wack his brake is amazing, the wear rate is erm quite strange my pads have show no sign of wear, or if they have then its a very small amount, i love these pads and so do every one else that uses them

EDIT: they also work int pissing down rain, mud and honk like beastys

Ive also tried 3 other typres of ruber have a quick review

the red stuff was to soft it melted

the white stuff was shit in the wet like really bad, and the other red stuff was just to hard

That means nothing to know body but i thort id say anyway.

gallery_1997_54_24806.jpg

Edited by Davetrials

Echo Vee Pads

Brake Setup: Avid SD7 Lever, Cane Creek C2 caliper, Linear Slic Cable, Shimano Booster

Time Used: a couple of months

Grind?: run on both a smooth rim and a grind.

Other Pads Used: Koolstop Salmon Compound, Heatsink Whites and Konigs(red)

Performance:

Smooth Rim: If it is dry and clean they are awesome, but lack any decent performance in the wet and struggle in dusty condition. Wear rate was very good.

Grinded Rim: They don’t work as well on a grind as the do on a dry smooth rim, but are far more consistant overall. The performance isn’t great though, I was backing wheeling a handle bar height wall and they just weren’t holding me as well and often slipped backwards. It rained last night and I thought I would test them a bit and the were outclassed by Koolstop Dual Compound BMX pads (smooth rim) I had on the front, which I rode through puddle and they still had loads of bit and power. I could still front hop with them, with no slippage. The Rear brake had very little bite and didn’t inspire confidence.

Overall: Great pads if you live somewhere hot and dry, otherwise don’t bother!

Heatsink Red (Konig)

Brake Setup: Avid SD7 Lever, Cane Creek C2 caliper, Linear Slic Cable, Shimano Booster

Time used: a few months on and off

Grind?: run on both a smooth rim and a grind.

Other Pads Used: Koolstop Salmon Compound, Heatsink Whites, Echo Vee

Performance:

Smooth:In the dry they worked great and and were solid and felt really good.

i only probs i had with them

- one of the pads slightly came away from the backing, i think it was from doing fakies though, and using the brake to spin out.

- i had a little trouble with wet and dusty performance, i think this was due to the smooth pad surface and smooth rim surface. I chopped some grooves into the pads and this improved performance.

Grinded Rim: Awesome, but obviously this is wore them down too fast, which is well know.

Overall: Great pads on a smooth rim, bar a few niggles. Hopefully the new blues will be better, expect a review in a bit.

Mike

EDIT - just generally being a spaz

Edited by leedstrials

Pads: Heatsink Blue

Time used: 2weeks probably 30hrs riding

Rim used: Onza Hogg

Brake: Mag '05

Grind: No, brand new, clean

Tar: Not a chance!

Wear rate: None that I've seen yet

Opinion of a working brake: Good strong hold, doesn't slip.

Review: Absolutely the best pads I've ever used! I'm using clean rim and installed them in the rain, and they were fantastic then! No bedding in required. I have had no problems wet or dry and as of yet haven't slipped. There has been no noticeable wear to the pads at all. Even make a lovely trials squeak, the nicest I've ever heard. Only one downside is they seem to collect dirt alot quicker than any of my other pads.

I think Steve has hit it right on the nose with these ones!

• 1 month later...

Pads: Zoo Pads

Time used: 5 weeks

Rim used: Old Mavic D521 with old grind for 3 weeks then new Onza hog with fresh grind

Brake: Maggie '00

Tar: Not a chance!

Wear rate: Fast!

Opinion of a working brake: Good strong hold, doesn't slip. Something i can trust 100% in any situation

Review: 1st impressions were good. The pads bite really well and are very good on a grind. Unfortunately, they are just too soft. The pads are almost down to the backing now after 5 weeks of dry riding. I dont do wet riding! Next pads are going to be the Plasmatic CRMs

Pads:

Zoo!

Time used:

Best part of a year.

Rim used:

Try-all

Tar:

Yes.

Grind:

No - very very dead.

No

Brake used:

Magura 04, as standard. Onza carbon booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake:

Something that will hold 100% of the time. Don't care about modulation.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:

The only other real pads i have ever used were rimjam blues. They had a much different texture to them, but were very similar power wise. (Much better backings aswell) Less and less tar are used with these pads aswell, where i used quite alot with the rimjam blues.

Review:

Best pads i have used so far. On a warmish day the pads work excellent with a little tar. Giving me enough lock that my tyre will probably slip befor the tyre does.

The ware rate is basicly nothing. Without exagerating i could probably get 2 years use out of these pads.

Ridden a few different brake setups on a few peoples bikes and nothing has come close to the same hold as mine.

Still going to try a few more pads to see if they're any beter than the zoo's but i doubt it, as the zoo's are known for being the softest out there.

Best so far. :lol:

Edited by JT!

Pads: Plazmatic CRM's

Time used: About 3months

Rim used: Standard Onza one (Alex DX32 i think...)

Grind: Yes. but worn

Brake used: Magura HS33 bled with water.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks straight away, solid feel, doesn't slip.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best yet, used to have Koxx Browns, but they slipped

Review: After I got them, I cleaned up the rim with de-greaser. Put them in, set them up etc.

I was impressed. Held a lot better then my old Koxx pads.

I haven't got a booster (yet) so it feels spungey, but i'm sure with my booster it'll feel alot better.

Slip a bit in the wet, but if I hold the brake tighter, It still holds.

Have hardly worn down too, good amount of meat on them from new aswell.

Overall, I'm very impressed with these pads, will definatley buy another pair once they've done their time.

:closedeyes:

Pads: Coust 50mm

Time used: About 40 hours of riding on trials and 4/5 hours on bmx

Rim used: BMF / Alex chrome

Grind: Yes/No Yes on the BMF even though it's dead

Brake used: Magura/V Maggy for the BMF / Odessey evolver for the alex chrome jobby

What is your opinion of a working brake: Some modulation, no slip when lever pulled in as much as poss.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Much better, even though the heatsinks i used were good.

Review: They work how i like a brake to work, if anything slips, it's always the tyre. Once they bed in (takes 10 mins) they are the absolute tits. I will never use anything other than coust on either trials or bmx. However, the modulation is slightly less on the bmx. But still if coust pads are available, that's what i'll run.

Pads: Plaz Crm

Time used: About 5 months

Rim used: Onza Ronnie

Brake used: Magura hs-33. Water bled

What is your opinion of a working brake: Lock hold and dont slip

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:Great pads.. Lock and hold. Make a mad noise aswell

Review: amazing pads, Had the same pair for atleast 6 months, and still have about 3 mm of pad left on the backing. Hold amazingly when kept on a sharp grind. Useless in the wet mind.

Great pads, highly recomend them, Looking at koxx reds next :)

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Heatsink Blues

Time used: Good 2-3 months and still pleanty of life left

Rim used: Onza 19" Ronnie

Grind: Yes, Old and new

Brake used: 04 HS33, standard lever, bleed with water and an RB Booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: One you can hear work and that locks well.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Better than the Koxx Bloxx Greens and Coust 30mm Pads I used on the same set-up

Review: Well I put thease pads on a worn grind from some koxx greens and I must say I was dead impressed, the bite was amazing also a nice squeek so you knew the brake was locked to go with it. :)

Not the most awsome of holds but one that satasfied me.

After a few weeks I decided it was time for a regrind. Knowing that Fatmike had put a stupidly harsh grind on his mavic rims and the pads not working amzingly well and also silent I decided to put a medium one on (+ ime a pussy with the grinder :P )

The pads still working damn well but loosing some of their squeek ime truly impressed with and will be buying another pair; espicaly for the price :)(Y) .

Sam

PS : The pads don't work at all in the wet so problie not the best idear for wet riders but o well.

Edited by samthebiker

Pads: Coust 50 mm, aluminium backings

Time used: Since summer I think.

Rim used: Try-All

Grind: Yes/No Medium/deep down to worn (now)

Brake used: Magura/V '05 HS33, water bleed.

Other pads I've used: Brown bloxx, plaz crm, plaz spanishfly, monty x-lite, monty milk, koolstop, maggie black, plaz fjas, heatsink B, heatsink C, heatsink blue.

What is your opinion of a working brake:Hold, grab, rain performance.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best ever.

Review: They lock the wheel. Work in the pissing rain, snow, slush, whatever. Work in -5°C, sun, etc. Am on the first grind on Try-All rim, still working well good. Wear rate is good, about 1/3 gone since the summer, so not that bad. Never had a brake as good as this, and remember, this is on a tryall rim.

• 2 weeks later...

Pad used: Toxsin (red)

Time Used: 2 weeks

Rim used: Alex DX32 19''

Grind: Yes (light)

Tar: Yes, but only a bit

Brake Used: Magura HS33 no booster, magura oil bleed

Other pads ive used: Plazmatic CRM's, kool stops

How do they compare to other pads uve used?: The best although i didnt run my plazmatics on a grind so im not sure.

Review: Right these pads are suppose to be quite soft and they felt quite soft when i first got them, so i put them on, and went out for a ride and they locked really nice and felt really nice. With a wet rim they didnt grip quite as well but they still held quite nicely. So far ive been riding with these for 2 weeks everyday for at least a few hours and theres no major signs of wear. Im very happy with these pads especially as they were only 10 pounds. And when they wear down i will probably get another set, unless i try something else.

Edited by tomturd

• 2 weeks later...

Pad used: Heatsink reds (prototype)

Time used: ages

Grind? yes, medium

rim used: 06 Echo rim (mod)

Brake used: 2005 maggy with water bleed

Other pads iv used: Plaz, bloxx browns, koolstops, blacks, rimjam reds/blues/greens, heatsink blues, reds (old konigs) heatsink yellows Batch B's and lots more :P

Opinion on working brake: LOTS OF BITE!!! doesnt slip no modulation at all and VERY loud squeek!

Reveiw: best pads used in a long time? apart from they were lacking that VERY loud squeek that i love, they were best pads iv used in a while. they held on anything, were still amazing in wet and muddy conditions, and this is with a light grind!, once my grind had worn right down, i done a medium grind, and the VERY loud squeek that i love was there :mellow: it was an amazing brake, had lots of confidence in them!

They have only worn around 1-2mm in around 2-3 months that iv had them :mellow:

They are VERY good pads IMO! :)

But, for some reason, iv resorted back to my bloxx browns :S

(saving the reds for competition use only i guess :) )

Pads used: RimJam Green compound

Brake Setup: Magura HS33 Race line, 4 bolts, Echo Control booster

Time Used: since 07/05

Grind: Very deep cuts on one side

Other Pads Used: Local pads, ZOO! Green

Tar: Yes, + rosin, resin

Performance: When I put them on, they worked great. It's a hard compound so it gives a great feel on the brake. Slight wear after 6 months of riding on a ground rim. The brake is faily strong, but much weaker compared to the Zoo pads. Pretty poor when it's wet, not too good on a smooth rim. Also the shoe (or whatever you call it) fell apart quite quickly, the teeth broke off. That resulted in play.

Overall: These pads are adequate, but I wouldn't reccomend them.

Edited by Inur

Pads: Heatsink Reds (CNC'ed backings)

Time Used: 1 week

Rim Used: Koxx rim

Grind: Brand new

Previous Pads Used: Coust, Plaz, Echo pinks and Koxx browns

How you like your brake: Lots of bite with only a little modulation.

Bought these pads off Steve and ever since i have had them on they have worked amazingly, my previous pads were plaz which were really good with a nice really nice sound

Tom.

Edited by onza_tom123

Pads: Plazmatic CRM

Time Used: 3 Months

Previous Pads Used: Koxx, Rimjam

How you like your brake: Amazing Bite, Amazing Hold, Uber Loud, No Modulation

Performance: When i first got the pads i couldnt set them up properly cause of a uber long chain so the were only half touching the rim and still they made a proper loud noise and were great pads, but i got a new kmc chain from hallfords and could set them up properly i now when i set the pads up i really take my time and they hit perfect also i grind it and clean the pads once every 2 weeks so my brake is usually always at its best :) so they were AMAZING super loud hold amazingly, bite is the best part, put my koxx bloxx on to see if theyd be any good, took them straight off afetr 5 minutes, put heatsink blues on, took them off after a day :P the only pad that compares are Coust pads which are just as good in the dry and better in the wet.

Overall: These pads are mint, ive ran them for ages and every pair have been good, going to get some more coust pads next i think or MaJic pads (look out for them :- ) deffo reccomend them if your not a moron and can setup brakes properly and have a decent rim (no soft crap) these pads will be amazing for you straight out of the packet

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Coust 50mm...power pads backings

Time Used: 20 hours riding

Previous Pads Used: Koxx Red, Plaz CRM, Zoo, Rimjam blues

How you like your brake: Amazing Bite, Amazing Hold....whatever noise

Performance: Absolutley beasting.......Solidest lever feel ever, Nice and sharp bite....Hold well.....A little bit is not actually hiting my rim (brake booster spacers stopping the clamps going further down) and they still work amazingly. My only gripe is the noise...sooo freeking loud sqeek.... But other then that top bannana, Well worth the 20 queens english i payed.

Tom

Edit:jut went and set them up properly and the noise is a beast now

Edited by Tom Booth

Pads: Koxx Bloxx (Green)

Time used: Probably around 2-3months, at least. They're second hand too.

Rim used: TryAll

Grind: Yes/No Yep.

Brake used: Magura/V Magura. 2003. Water bleed, but had it with oil too. Echo Team booster, std. lever.

What is your opinion of a working brake: A brake that does exactly what I want it to, whenever.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best pads evaaaaaarz. Outperform the X-Hydras, every Heatsink pad I've ever used, etc.

Review: These pads are amazing. It seems people have forgotten just how good the Koxx pads are just 'cos there's a huge amount of pads available now, and no-one seems to be going for them any more. It's funny how the reason that all the home-made manufacturers came about was 'cos these pads were too expensive, but people are happy to buy new pairs of pads every 2-3 weeks when their's wear out? :P Anyways, solid lever feel, great hold, great bite, they're just the shit, really. Work well in the wet too. All in all, top banana. Work slightly faster than I expected it at first, then just settled down and haven't worn much since (I grind my rim every 2-3 weeks, btw). There's still 2mm left, which means that since June when I got them, there's still 40% material left on the pad which is a FAR better wear rate than I've had with any other pad, 'cept for the CRMs.