Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Coust on alu backings

Time Used: Since september i think

Rim Used: tryall

Grind: Medium

Ceramic: No

Tar: No

Previous Pads Used: Koxx browns, heatsink of various models, plaz crm/spanish fly, monty milk/x-lite, etc.

How you like your brake: Working

Coust pads lock up and make a crazy sound with a decent grind in any weather. Almost too loud for me, and thats on a tryall rim. they dont wear much either.

tried some brown bloxx on my rim yesterday too. despide the fact that the grind is a month or something old, and has been ridden a bit, the bloxx worked well. not nearly as grabby as my cousts but a lot quieter but still decent enough.

Pads: Coustsinks in Pimp backings

Time used: 4 months

Rim: Try-all

Grind: yes, once every 3 months, beginning of new pads. Fairly rough.

Tar: F*ck no.

Previous pads: Plazmatic crms, koxx bloxx red brown green yellow, koolstops, zoo!, heatsink blues reds honigs.

Prefered brake: Lock, bite, working under anything in anything.

Review

Amazing. Working in wet, damp, soaking conditions. Makes Try-alls slip. Super solid due to the CnC'd backings, which at first i thought was a waste of money, but it is an ace investment for a solid brake and cheaper replacement pads.

You don't need tar at all with these, so you might as well use it on your roofing. (Y) You don't even need a regular grind, jus when it smoothens out.

After a while of use(about 1 monthish) the super bite starts to die down. But don't worry, you won't stop noticing it!

Try not to drag your brakes down big hills like Shipley Glen, because your pads wear quickly :o

www.heatsinkbikes.com to place your order :rolleyes:

Pads: Koxx Bloxx Brown

Time used: 2 Months

Rim used: Onza ronnie (24")

Grind: Yes

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Stupid Bite, Even Better Hold, Very Loud

Review: Soon as i put them in i ground the rim, they performed really well, i cant complain but they were silent, something i dont really like to be honest, they werent lacking in hold just not too much bite. good enough to do rail gaps on and worked just as good in the wet. no wear at all and ive put 3 grinds on since having them. i would reccomend them if you want a quiet yet good brake and i would definately buy them again if i didnt want to risk having a rubbish brake :)

Pads: Tensile Bubblegums.

Time used: 1 Month-ish.

Rim used: Onza Hog (hedghog one)

Grind: Yes (Medium)

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good Bite, Nice noise, But Brake did give away a couple of times.

Previous pads: Koolstops, Koxx brown, Rim jam greens, Heatsink blue, ZOO!, Plazzies CRM. (All these pads were with a grind :) oh, and NO tar)

Koolstops - A lot better than Koolstops, more bite, more noise basically more everything that was good :)

Koxx Brown - The bite is'nt as good as these koxx bloxx's but it did what it needed to do, and Koxx bloxx lasted me alot longer than these Tensiles.

Rim Jam Greens - More Brake-age than Rim Jam greens, but then again, Rim Jam's lasted longer.

Heatsink blues - I loved heatsinks, IMO I think tensiles are very similar to Heatsink blue's, cos the Heatsinks lasted me about a month, and the noise was almost identical, the hold from the brake was almost the same (Y)

ZOO! - Forgot how my ZOO!'s were ^_^ all i remember is that they didnt last very long, like the Tensiles :turned:

Plazzies CRM - The lock and bite were about the same, Plazzies lasted for longer though.

My overall review is that the Tensile bubblegums were 'OK' pads, they just didnt last very long (N) Would recommend them on a light grind (Y)

Benny :)

Edited by BeNNy

Heatsink blues

DX32

Light grind

Im onto my second set of these now. Put the new set on today and forgot just how good these pads are :D

Didnt bother putting a new grind on but spent a while setting them up square and then went for a ride.

First two pulls no noise and averge lock but then they kicked in :o

They now have a super loud squeak and have imense lock and hold. The only time im sliping at the moment is when my tyre is.

From the last set of these i had the only downer was the wet weather preformance. But this isnt an issue for me as i ride for fun and therefore only in the dry :P

so considering that id give them a 9/10 as everything else is spot on.

I also ordered a set of cousts at the same time. I havent used them set but the quality looks spot on. I wasent sure what to expect as i had heard some mixed veiw on their quality. But i belive these ones are made by steve himself and therefore the quality is second to none :) (reveiw on these to follow, kind of expecting blues with better wet preformance)

I would also take this opertunity to mention the service that i revieved. I ordered the pads and nothing arrived for a while so i dropped steve an email. It turned out that they had been lost in the post. So the order was sent out again and i recieved them within a day and a free set of pads for the trouble :D

But then royal mail pulled their fingure out and the other set turned up :rolleyes: so i sent those back to steve and he let me keep the free set. :)

So many thanks for the top service and pads I will definatly be dealing with you again :D

PADS: Zoo! pads

TIME USED : 7-8 months

RIM USED : try-all 47 mm

GRIND: sometimes

CERAMIC: nopesey

BRAKE USED: magura hs-33 2005 model bled with water, echo 4b booster

BRAKE OPTION: a brake that has lots of bite, let`s go when i release the lever and holds on great even at the expense of modulation

TAR: yes, not alot but i use-it:D

PREVIOUS PADS : monty, magura black

REVIEW : those pads are great, the material is very soft so they have a great bite, and don`t slip at all with a litle tar on the rim, the grind wears them up but keeps them clean, the pads are great, you just have to keep them clean i use them since october 2005 and ride evrey day like 4-5 hours of hard trialsin....those pads are just great and I assume that they will hold on another 6 months looking at the material:D

baseguy in new members wrote this and I thought here would be the appropriate place for it.

"Pads: zoo pads

Time used: Nearly 3 months

Rim used: onza hog

Mod/Stock: mod

Grind: Yes

Brake used: Magura, normal lever, normal hose.

Review: to start off i was in a predicament because i needed a new grind to run my plazmatic pads but my rim had taken 6 grinds already so instead i sanded my rim down so you could only "see" the grind and only just feel it. I set my brake up exactly how it specifies in the magura handbook with correct piston spacing and correct torque applyed to the bolts. At first i doubted the braking power of the pads but they sounded good considering they hadn't been bedded in yet ,after 3 hours of hard riding the pads were working perfectly with a really loud and consistent squeak.Because of the tacky compound and the slight grind the bite was incredible i just couldn't roll it through, I tried everything to roll it ; gaps that i couldn't make,leaning back on drops and balancing on sharp legdes but it just wouldn't budge.I was quite impressed that after i went down a hill i didn't find green dust covering my rim and i had lost no life at all and had lost no braking power, but the real thing that matters is performance in all weathers. On hot days the pads perform to there absolute best and don't roll through wich should be expected , but the real shocker was that when the rim got wet the brake still worked amazing and i couldn't roll it through even on steep wet rocks ,when the rim got wet the squeak did disappear but after a little riding round it came streight back.

That was last summer and this summer i will be ruining exactly the same.

This pad convornation was also used by neil tunnicliffe .

enjoy ....."

• 2 weeks later...

Just another review...

Pads: Coust pads 35mm versions (diddy ones!) :D

Mod/Stock: Stock

Condition: Used

Time used: About an hour

Rim: Echo 05

Grind: No - Lots of monty brake spray :ermm:

Brake: 05 Maggie (6 months old)

Review: When I first put them on I had loads of crap on my rim and they didn't work, however I used a file to rip off all the grease/muck etc and they worked a little better... I then put some brake spray on and they were worrying... When I went along they wouldn't lock at all, but as soon as I slowed down, they would lock - very strange... SO, after tea I coated my rim in brake spray and when it dried they locked like a bitch! They are still being weird when going along, I think they are meant to do that for modulation but I dunno....

All in all they are good pads, and will be much better when I get a grind...

Nathan :D

Just another review...

Pads: Coust pads 35mm versions (diddy ones!) :D

Mod/Stock: Stock

Condition: Used

Time used: About an hour

Rim: Echo 05

Grind: No - Lots of monty brake spray :ermm:

Brake: 05 Maggie (6 months old)

Review: When I first put them on I had loads of crap on my rim and they didn't work, however I used a file to rip off all the grease/muck etc and they worked a little better... I then put some brake spray on and they were worrying... When I went along they wouldn't lock at all, but as soon as I slowed down, they would lock - very strange... SO, after tea I coated my rim in brake spray and when it dried they locked like a bitch! They are still being weird when going along, I think they are meant to do that for modulation but I dunno....

All in all they are good pads, and will be much better when I get a grind...

Nathan :D

thats a shite review cos u use brake spray, i cood make black pads work with brake spray... :huh:

I dont anymore I did a light grind this mroning and they work now... :D

As for Ben's question, I got them off a guy called tom!e on the forum, don't know where he got 'em from but you could ask him... (Y)

I didn't actually know they were any different and was surprised to see they were diddy when I got them :$ :P

Nathan :)

Pads: Heatsink blues in CNC's backings

Time used: 3 days

Rim used: Onza ronnie, full of dents and a nice flatspot

Grind: Medium/light

Brake: Magura hs33, water bleed, no booster.

Previous pads: Plaz crm, Heatsink reds, Tensile Bubbegums, Heatsink batch something, Rimjam Blue, Rimjam Green, Heatsink honigs, Majics, Blacks, Homemade pads.

Review: These pads are Beasty ! ... after putting them on and setting them up so they were hitting the rim square on they made the biggest honk ever witch is good. As soon i put them on they were holding great and had shit loads of bite witch is good, after a good 3 hours they started to make more of a sqeeky bitey soudn and started to have even more bite to them. after a days riding ( 7 hours) they were still a all good, they were holding so well and had shit loads bite.

It's not my brake what slips it's my tyer ... the cnc's backings really do make a difference, they give a really solid feel at the lever and i'm not even running a booster and my brake is solid as f**k. The wear rate is bloody good from what i've seen ... they've not worn at all since i've been riding with them.

Overall i'm really happy with these pads. Also Steve (Heatsink) will refill your backings for a good price, cost ÂŁ10 for Blue material witch is a decent price in my eyes, when i sent mine for refill he replaced my cnc'd backings for some brand new one's !! becuase he was a day late on postage. Now How about that for top service.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pads: Plazmatic CRM

Time used: 3 weeks

Rim used: 24" Ronnie

Grind: Yes (no tar) Fresh.

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura, heatsink booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Holds well, small amount of modulation, bites at peak

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: About the same as my koxx browns

Review:

After a few hours of riding the brake seemed to preform well. locked nicely, bites.

After 2 weeks the brake seems to have gone worse, and worn down shed loads.

I've set them up a few times to make sure they weren't rounding at the edges.

I doubt I will buy another pair of these. The pad life and actual braking power weren't as good as people have said. Might of just been how I set it up, but my koxx browns worked better when they went poo.

Pads: Plazmatic CRM

Time used: 3 weeks

Rim used: 24" Ronnie

Grind: Yes (no tar) Fresh.

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura, heatsink booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Holds well, small amount of modulation, bites at peak

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: About the same as my koxx browns

Review:

After a few hours of riding the brake seemed to preform well. locked nicely, bites.

After 2 weeks the brake seems to have gone worse, and worn down shed loads.

I've set them up a few times to make sure they weren't rounding at the edges.

I doubt I will buy another pair of these. The pad life and actual braking power weren't as good as people have said. Might of just been how I set it up, but my koxx browns worked better when they went poo.

Yup setting up pads over and over destorys them since they have to keep bedding in meaning they go wank for a while. Thats why its so important to set pads up right the first time and then dont touch them again.

Yup setting up pads over and over destorys them since they have to keep bedding in meaning they go wank for a while. Thats why its so important to set pads up right the first time and then dont touch them again.

Exactly why my koxx browns dissapeared in 1 month :P

Now for my reveiw...

Pads: Koxx Green

Brake used: 05 maggy, water bleed, normal lever/hosing.

time used: 5 weeks

Rim used: Echo 2006 19" rim

Grind: yes, medium

What is your opinion of a working brake: sudden lock, no mudulation, very loud.

Pad used opinion:

These pads were crap for the first 5 mins, but then they had bedded in, and the brake went AMAZING, was very loud, with lots of lock. gave me alot od confidence in everything.

After around 4 days, i got a pinch (N) so had to take rear wheel out to fix it, put wheel back in, that sudden lock and loud squeek went. it was still an OK brake, but wasnt GOOD.

Rode with it like this for another 1 week, thinking it would bed in again, but never did... so took wheel out, got new inner tube, reground my rim, took the surface off the top of my pads with angle grinder (made surface shiny) set brake up amazingly, and... WOW, an AMAZING brake...

Was fricken awesome... till my chain snapped... then had to move my wheel in drop outs to set new chain up :(

All in all:

Pads are amazing, good hold, nice and loud with lots of bite 10/10

All in all:

Pads are amazing, good hold, nice and loud with lots of bite 10/10

Try CoustSinks.

I used Greens for ages, and thought they was the best thing since a Profile. Then dared to try Coust pads, and they was even sicker! More bite and a little more hold.

Am not saying this 'cos of Heatsinkbikes, i truely think that Coustsinks are THE best pads for everything.

Pads: Heatsink Reds CnC Backing

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: 19" Ronnie

Grind: Yes (no tar) Medium and Fresh.

Brake used: 04 Magura, Echo Booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Noisy with lots of hold and bite. A brake that your not scared to do big moves with.

After going through Echo Pink, Koxx Browns and Zoo Pads, I was thinking about getting some more Echo Pads but a friend said 'why not try the heatsink cnc backing pads'. I took his advice and brought some.

As soon as i put a new grind and the Heatsink pads on my bike, the brake was unbelievable! Very noisey :D with lots of bite. About 8 rides later they still have the same amount of pad as they as the did in the box, still lock as beautifully and look quite cool aswell. A worth while investment (Y)

Edited by Ross Gardner

Try CoustSinks.

A lad that stopped at my house from wales had some on his toxin mod.

Yeah, they were VERY loud, and had a VERY VERY good bite, BUt, they tended to slip faily often, i dont know if it was because the pads were just new, or if they always slip, but they were fairly good...

These were in the CNC backings, which i cant afford im afraid :(

So if they work just as good in the plastic power pad backings, they WILL be my next pads :P

The problem is, the website says deilvery in 1-2 days, a week later and im still sitting with empty CNC backing's waiting on my material coming. This is for my first order with steve too, not a good first impression.

Edit: Arrived on tuesday, with a free set of blue's. Both pads are great so far, i'll be leaving a review once i've used them properly.

Edited by jake1516

Pads: Koxx blues

Time used: 10 mins(not on my bike)

Rim used: koxx try-all rim

Grind:yeh, fresh

Brake used: 04 Magura, no booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: bite, hold work in all weather conditions.

these pads are simply the best.

just hold on anything, there almost silent(which i like)but still have bite of say zoo pads on a grind.

immense pads, work even better in the rain too.

not on my bike. but thought id review em anyway.