Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Coustsinks

Time used: 2 months?

Rim used: Zhi 26"

Front/rear?: Rear

Grind: Medium

Brake used: Magura HS33 2005 & 2004, water bleed, integrated booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Powerful in dry and wet weather conditions. Hard feel on the lever.

Similar products tried: ZOO!, Plazmatic, RimJam green, Monty Pine pads.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best pads ever but at a steep price. Well worth it though.

Review:

To my surprise, they don't "click into" the cylinders. You need to mount the brake and press the lever hard for the pads to lock properly.

Dry weather:

Very powerful on a grind and smooth rim, with or without tar. The pads need bedding in with water every now and then because the dust from the rim and surroundings reduces the braking power significantly. That is however a common problem.

Wet weather:

If you have a tar-free and clean rim, these pads will stop you regardless how wet your rim is. They don't brake well on a smooth wet rim so you will need a grind. I was recently riding in the rain and there was no drop in performance. The brake was locking equally well, I didn't realize my rim was wet until I touched it.

I find you get the best performance in damp weather (ie. in a fog).

Extremely loud brakes, wear resistant, CNC backings make it feel very nice indeed.

These pads are by far the best I've ever used, they haven't slipped a SINGLE time when set up correctly (clean rim and pads). And get the CNC backings, it's well worth it. A refill costs 15 quid which is about the average price for a set of brake pads yet you get the unmatched performance of the Coustellier compound.

Edited by Inur

Pads: Plazmatic yellows

Time Used: 5 weeks

Rim used: ONZA std

Front/Rear: Front

Grind: None (smooth)

Brakes: Magura HS33

Weather: Dry

Good/Bad: Ok, not amazingly impressed

Compared to others: Rubbish :(

Review: These pads were amazing on my back wheel with a medium grind, but i moved them onto my front wheel a couple of days later which is smooth with no tar, I was happy for a while until blancing on the front on a wall it suddenly slipped severely and i flew over and faceplanted the floor. It seems they work well with a grind, and a smooth rim until you put them under alot of pressure where they slide unexpectedly, no matter how hard you pull the leaver. However, they do give a nice squeek, but i wouldnt trust them to endo on a smooth rim - f*ck trying to front hop!

Not very impressed - I think ill stick to my Heatsink Snowy's :D

Edited by Grizzly

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: BT Yellows

Time used: Not long

Rim used: Planet X BMF, 24"

Grind: No

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks well, wont slip, reliable and trustworthy.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Piss all over everything. Better than my old montys on a grind by miles.

Review: Absolutly amazing performance on a smooth rim, even with hardley any time to bed in, they just hold so well, its weird, so much bite. Not really loud, but hey, that'd be out of place on a 24". Get them, they really are amazing.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Pads: Rock Pads - Blue

Time used: 2 Months

Rim used: Try All

Grind: Mediumish

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Amazing bite and hold, and very very loud.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Compared to Zoo's, Monty milk pads, and maggie blacks, these are by far the best I've used

Review: This is an amazing brake, really is the best brake ive had... The sound it makes is really reassuring and they are holding up well against a grind. Ohh and they are out lasting my rim!

Pads: Onza Citrus

Time Two nights

Rim: Tryall, factory white paint

Brake: Magura

Opinion of working brake: Should lock and hold when you want it to.

Review:

I put these pads on the other night when I rebuilt my bike. I am currently running them on a smooth painted tryall rim, the factory white paint, because I currently don't own a grinder.

Initially, they were shite. No noise, no hold, just what you expect from new pads. After about an hour they started squeaking, similar sound to CRM on smooth rims.

I rode a bit today, doing a tiny bit of natural and street, ground was damp and rode in some mud, the brake still worked pretty good.

The power is definitely enough to ride, but not as much as I like it. But it is nice to know that they work, and squeak quite a bit, even on a smooth painted rim.

Grind next....

Pads: Onza Citrus

Time Two nights

Rim: Tryall, factory white paint

Brake: Magura

Opinion of working brake: Should lock and hold when you want it to.

Review:

I put these pads on the other night when I rebuilt my bike. I am currently running them on a smooth painted tryall rim, the factory white paint, because I currently don't own a grinder.

Initially, they were shite. No noise, no hold, just what you expect from new pads. After about an hour they started squeaking, similar sound to CRM on smooth rims.

I rode a bit today, doing a tiny bit of natural and street, ground was damp and rode in some mud, the brake still worked pretty good.

The power is definitely enough to ride, but not as much as I like it. But it is nice to know that they work, and squeak quite a bit, even on a smooth painted rim.

Grind next....

There very good on a dead grind.

Very loud.

• 2 weeks later...

(Y)Pads: Heatsink Snowys

Time used:4 Months

Rim used:Try-All

Grind: Yes Medium (NO TAR)

Brake used: Magura HS33

What is your opinion of a working brake:Works with out fail and has a nice squeak

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: They work alot better than my Heatsink Reds,Rim Jam greens,Rim Jam reds, Magura Kool Stops and Magura Blacks :P

Review:These pads have been the best pads i have ever used and i will definitely get another pair of these, they work ok in the wet but not as good as i would like them to, they still hold but not as good as in the dry,they have great wear life for the soft compound

Thanks Trialsbikenut

Edited by Trialsbikenut

Pads: Blue Joypads (Ali C.)

Time used: 1 full day

Rim used: Alex DX32

Grind: Yes Medium (NO TAR)

Brake used: Magura HS33

What is your opinion of a working brake: Very nice, on and off pads lots and lots of lock :rolleyes:

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: The last pads i used where Plaz CRM's, these felt very similar to them.

Review: So far these pads have been really good. I have been riding with them today in the rain and there didn't seem to be much difference to when they were being used in the dry. Definately recommend these pads.