Msn / Mozilla Firefox

skandy32

ok, when i sign into msn, i often get a little annoying box appear suggesting i have a few new emails, but no matter how many things i have tried, when i click it, it will ALWAYS open in internet shitty explorer!! Same happens when i hit the 'inbox' button in msn!

basically, how do i change the default msn browser to firefox?

i use firefox for everything else, and its the default of xp, but not msn!!

cheers people

andy

Mac's are not *bad*!!!

If you like the way their interface works, and are prepared to sacrifice 99% of x86 PC Games, then nothing's stopping you (Y))

Yes they are expensive, but they are high quality pieces of machinary - and yes, you do pay some extra ££ for style..... but I think it's worth it.

They can do everything (just about) that x86 can do - and M$ have ported over some of their applications to the MacOSX - MSN Messenger/Office/Internet Explorer etc

:: Phaze ::

They can do everything (just about) that x86 can do - and M$ have ported over some of their applications to the MacOSX - MSN Messenger/Office/Internet Explorer etc

:: Phaze ::

M$ is what we were trying to avoid. :o Even though you can't, God'amn *.wmv files, you can convert *.wma files, but ohhh no, not bloody video files, so you have to use the most useless program ever, Windows Media 9. *shudders*

Other than that, Macs rule! :o

M$ is what we were trying to avoid. (Y) Even though you can't, God'amn *.wmv files, you can convert *.wma files, but ohhh no, not bloody video files, so you have to use the most useless program ever, Windows Media 9. *shudders*

Other than that, Macs rule! :S

Have a look on the net for Linux codecs - I'll be shocked if someone hasn't reverse engineered the codecs.....and released an open-source version!

If you see it, PM/MSN/post here again, and then send me (or another Linux user....) the file to convert :P)

Umm, my MSN opens directly into Firefox, don't know how I've done it though, I used to have the same problem too. I'm running Messenger Plus! too but I've no idea what Danny is talking about.

Yes, I'm sure FireFox does open for you - when you click a link in a Window or something.

But the pop-up which comes from the task bar has "iexplore.exe" embedded in it :P(

i.e. "http://www.hotmail.com" would open FireFox (as it is the default for HTML pages) - BUT "iexplore.exe; http://www.hotmail.com" would open Internet Explorer, *then* go to Hotmail.com. See?

Edited by DJ Phaze

I.e. "http://www.hotmail.com" would open FireFox (as it is the default for HTML pages) - BUT "iexplore.exe; http://www.hotmail.com" would open Internet Explorer, *then* go to Hotmail.com. See?

Umm, no, I suck with the technical side to computers :">

Re-reading my post, I meant that when I click the '1 New Message' thing that you have below your name on MSN it opens my email account in Firefox. Wasn't sure if you mis-read it (Y)

Tabbed browsing (means you only need 1 internet window open) Built in pop-up blocker, renders pages faster than IE, can get plugins such as media player controllers that sit in the status bar so you dont need to have winamp/itunes open all the time, much more secure, generally a lot better.

EDIT:

Why Use Firefox?

“Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser.” - USA Today

“Better than Internet Explorer by leaps and bounds.” - FORBES

Popup Blocking

Stop annoying popup ads in their tracks with Firefox's built in popup  blocker.

Tabbed Browsing

View more than one web page in a single window with this time saving  feature. Open links in the background so that they're ready for viewing  when you're ready to read them. Find out more...

Privacy and Security

Built with your security in mind, Firefox keeps your computer safe from malicious spyware by not loading harmful ActiveX controls. A comprehensive  set of privacy tools keep your online activity your business.

Smarter Search

Google Search is built right into the toolbar, and there is a plethora  of other search tools including Smart Keywords  (type "dict <word>" in the Location bar), and the new Find bar (which finds text as you type without covering up anything).

Live Bookmarks

RSS integration lets you read the latest news headlines and read updates  to your favorite sites that are syndicated. Find out more...

Hassle-Free Downloading

Files you download are automatically saved to your Desktop so they're  easy to find. Fewer prompts mean files download quicker.

Fits Like a Glove

Simple and intuitive, yet fully featured, Firefox has all the functions  you're used to - Bookmarks, History, Full Screen, Text Zooming to make  pages with small text easier to read, etc.

S, M, L or XL—It's Your Choice

Firefox is the most customizable browser on the planet. Customize your  toolbars to add additional buttons, install new Extensions that add  new features, add new Themes to browse with style, and use the adaptive  search system to allow you to search an infinite number of engines.  Firefox is as big or small as you want.

Setup's a Snap

At only 4.7MB (Windows), Firefox takes just a few  minutes to download over a slow connection and seconds over a fast  connection. The installer gets you set up quickly, and the new Easy  Transition system imports all of your settings - Favorites, passwords  and other data from Internet Explorer and other browsers - so you can  start surfing right away.

A Developer's Best Friend

Firefox comes with a standard set of developer tools including  a powerful JavaScript and CSS error/warning console, and an optional  Document Inspector that gives detailed insight about your pages.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Edited by MonsterJ

msn = micorsoft product

ie = microsoft product

they make the two interact as good as possible.. use you noggin (Y)

oh... mozilla also displays HMTL in true form - unlike IE which pretty much does as it chooses. one reason why some sites work in IE and not in mozilla...

mozilla > ie.

Edited by trialsmad

msn = micorsoft product

ie = microsoft product

they make the two interact as good as possible.. use you noggin (Y)

oh... mozilla also displays HMTL in true form - unlike IE which pretty much does as it chooses. one reason why some sites work in IE and not in mozilla...

mozilla > ie.

MSN = Microsoft Network (NOT A PRODUCT!!!!)

Use YOUR noggin :P

And both IE and Mozilla adhere to the HTML specifications developed by the W3C