Firewire Problem

Dan Clark

Rightio, since I discovered how to use my Ipod on Windows ME, whenever I connect up my ipod to transfer songs, after about 3 the computer and ipod both freeze and it says that the ipod has become disconnected when it clearly hasn't.

Also now I connected up a vid cam to the firewire, and it captures 3 seconds exactly before it stops. It's as if the firewire card just stops working after 3 seconds.

Any ideas at all on how to fix this? As well as the annoyance factor with the ipod, I need it with my camera because I'm doing media coursework at the moment and need to edit.

What firewall do u use?

Bit of a long shot but if you check the programme control on your firewall it may have USB or your ipod prog not reconised as safe. Suppose you could allways turn off your firewall for mass song transfer, then do the others in 3s and you download em.

Windows ME has to be the 'wankest' windows going, always crashes, get yourself XP Home/Pro or maybe 98' that don't crash often, I hated my ME, was crap.

On the other hand, I can't suggest anything, I'm baffled if it aint the Windows ME.

Corish

Windows Me was an OS M$ released when XP was delayed. It's also known as "Windows 98, Service Pack 2" - as it has the same underlying code :turned:

It was the first Windows version to have "System Restore" and a few other nifty features of XP...

Get rid of it, and burn the CD. Get XP Pro or Windows 2000 (with SP4)...

It always worked fine before, thats how I've made vids and stuff. I can't actually pin point when this happened cos my camera broke and I didn't use it for a while, it happened sometime then.

It happens 3 seconds after I start capturing/transferring.

Cam at the mo is a Canon MV500, card is Belkin I think, comp is a Tiny ^_^ Apart from the ME thing, its totally fine spec wise.

Don't actually think I have a firewall as far as I know, I think the problem must lie in the card or something, because it always did work.

I'll have a word with the 'rents about XP Andy.

It does the same with my ipod though, so I can't see that being the problem :o

Oh right in that case its your firewire, must be, can;t be your camera if it does it to ipod aswell, get a new one, not much or try a different port if you have any. Or you may have to buy a new PCI FireWire Card again, only about 30quid for a 3-Port one.

corish

Edited by Corish

Ipod and Camera both use different leads (Y)

Well in that case it has to be your PCI Card, open up your PC, take it out and put it back in, careful you dont damage anything, if that doesnt make it work, buy a new one, if that doesnt make it work take it back and ask for some proper advice, maybe a good PC Shop.

Corish

But the iPod uses a different lead to the camera.

It has to be a problem with the card or the card driver. Try taking it out and putting it back in or something, might be a shit connection to the PCI slot.

Exactly what I said....

It must be that, must be, if not install XP!

Corish

Gonna take it out and put it back in. Might format because my computers a bit spazzed up as it is, and for some reason it worked after I done that before when the firewire wouldnt recognize my camera.

If that fails, new card I guess :-

Spot on. (Y)

corish