Stupid Smelly Pcs'

Mr Dave

HELLO :-

OK, i have a reasonably nice pc, and just recently installed windows xp, ive got broardband.

now....

everythings been fine, i have a small network between my desktop and my laptop (what im on now) this has a wireless network card.

Ive got a network hub coming out of the backbox thingy, even though its onlymy desktop connected to it now (mates come round somtimes)

a couple of days ago, i think, windows mediaplalyer started loading when i turned my pc on :P, i didnt think anything of it, so just closed it. now yesterday, it did the same, but this time my internet wasnt working (Y)

i tried all the ushal things (cause its happened before) like cables coming out and so on. but no, i cant figure it out, it says its on the network to.

i no abit about computers, i mean i built the one ive got now, but i have no idea about my internet as a mate installed it all for me(and family)

so erm yeah, thats all i can say treally, if theres anything else you wanna no that might help slove the prob then ask and ill try and answer :-

cheers for anyhelp :S

Dave :S

Have you checked things like:

Your modem is enabled

Your connecting to the right ISP

Your password is typed correctly (lowercase (Y))

Your modem isn't fookered (my house got hit by lightning once and frazzled it - not been any storms recently in your area?)

Also try the Windows Help Troubleshooter - this can sometimes be very helpful with things you've overlooked

Sam

go into 'internet options' and click the 'connections' tab....

delete the connection thats currently set up, or reset its properties,

(if you deleted it remake it again)

I used to do that on my old modem and it worked everytime. (that was with shitty win98se though)

PM Dj Phaze on here. He kinda knows everything about pcs :P

"Pint for Mr SoutTrails.tk please, barman"

==========================

Back to the WMP problem....

Check the folder in the Start Menu - called "Startup" - and see if Windows Media Player has a link in there. You might have "drag-and-dropped" it by mistake into that folder (when using the start menu). If it's there - delete it..

Internet problem....

To start with, I shall say that you should have a LAN connection - even if the net doesn't work. This is probably a misconfiguration of Network Card (by accident, or virus...) or the Router has Reset itself (and put everything back to default settings....)

Couple of questions, so I can picture what's going on....

1. I assume that the "black-box" is a combined router/hub/modem?

2. What's the make/model of this - reading the manual can save many headaches.....

3. When you say "it's got cables coming out" - does this go from "black-box" (Y) to the wall, or to the PC?

4. Is there a working Wireless connection?

:: Phaze ::

Oh, just got your PM too :P) Good timing!

Edited by DJ Phaze

ok, the black box thing, has the adsl line going into it from the wall, then a twisted cable going into my seperate hub, ( i think thats right)

the routers is a awr 8210 wireless router

my laptop wireless connection works fine.

my pc has an onboard network card, whichhas been working fine, but a few mins ago, i put another network card in, this didnt work

dave (Y)

YYAAYY :S

i think ive foud out what it is :P

:">

i think its the hub...

i went directly from the router to my pc, also using a diff cable and now it works,

it could also be the other wire though, ill experiment a bit later on, after te hubs cooled down a bit :-

thanks for all your help though :S

Dave (Y)