Profile Hub, Or White Industries Eno

SQuiT-man

Which do you prefer?

White Industries ENO freewheel, 72 click, £85ish (?) (but trousers have to be rolled up to avoid being ripped, so u look like a gimp, plus I will have to buy a fixed rear hub instead on my new rear wheel (probs aroun £35)) so total cost £120

or

Profile mini cassette rear hub, 48 click, as used by quite a few people so seems relaible, £135ish (?) plus screw on cog needed for cranks, so another £20 makes total cost £155

Who here rides with a profile rear hub, and how do they find them? Is the extra weight noticable? Have either ENO users or Profile users had any problems or anything?

Cheers,

Scott

P.s. do all you people who use front freewheels roll up ur trousers??

I have a profile hub and its great. Very easy to service and replace parts, excellent customer service. I didnt have a clue about them, and i got a second hand one that was totally mashed. Had to replace the driver, all bearings, springs.......and it didnt require any special tools or anything. And parts are easy to come by. 48 engagements is enough for me definatly, and im sticking with profile :- . It skipped a few times when i replaced the springs, and when i flooded it with oil :"> , but its fine now :) . Very solid clicks and very reliable :) .

Never tried an ENO but i dont want a front freewheel to be honest, would rather a fully serviceable hub.

I like my profile alot, feels more solid than a freewheel. I used to have a ENO non trials freewheel and it was ok, but it liked to skip and it still does now on mates bike.

As for the weight difference, its hardly noticable.

Also, get some cycling clip thing that go round the botton of your trousers. Stops them getting caught in the chain and they do them in black, basic metal colour and illuminous yellow for night rides :-

Get a profile, feels like 72 (clicks) EP. As the gearing makes its engage 50% quicker.

Then its on the rear where it should be. Definatly go for that if you have the cash. It's a tryed and tested setup.

:-

Edited by JT!

It's a fully serviceable freewheel though too, to be fair.

I've had my Eno on a coupla days now,. and it's reassuring to know that whereever I try and get engagement (whereever the crank is, if you see what I mean), it'll engage nicely. It skipped once, I think, when I first used it, but that's been it. Either way, when it did skip I only noticed 'cos I heard it 'cos it engaged almost instantly on the next E.P.

It does rip your trousers, but for me that's not so much of a problem 'cos I generally use the excess lace from my shoes to wrap around the back of my leg straight from the last lace-hole on the shoe, then back round the front so it ties the flapping part down, so it's not as noticeable as the townie-look :-

Don't forget to include £10-20 for the wheel build and spokes with the Profile too. It's only really the fact that I got an Eno brand new for £70 that made me get it, 'cos the Profile route was going to cost me about £200-ish for the whole shebang, incl. hub, spokes, lacing, fixed cog, which was more than I could really justify when the Eno did everything I needed it to.

I was initially sceptical about the idea of the Eno freewheels and about whether it was £60 better than an ACS, but really it is. There's none of the problems such as lockring undoing that you get with the ACS, it's made from tough materials, sealed bearing so it's a solid feel to it instead of the loose outer of the ACS - everything's just as good as it could be, basically. The reassurace of 3 pawls engaging at once is also pretty fly.

Personally, I'd go for the Eno 9 times out of 10, but if you can afford the Profile you might as well go for that?

Mark.

EDIT: You can't get Profiles for less than £150 now with the 12t driver.

Eno's are £70 inc. P&P from Jimbo if he's got any left.

I think Tartybikes are one of the few places that actually stock (note: that stock - they have some in, whereas other places have to specially order the 12t driver ones) Profiles, and I think they're also one of the cheapest, but you're still looking at £155+, although check their website for details.

They used to be £135 from www.wiggle.co.uk, but I don't think that that deal still applies any more, at least not to 12t driver Profiles.

Mark.

I got my ZOO! Python yesterday and installed the ENO free wheel straight away.

I was like :- because it is bloody amazing! Engages almost immediately and feels very firm and accure. It haven't skipped once even thouhg there was -9 celcius at evening..

I had been told that ENOs are bit stiff rolling but I haven't noticed anything like that! It is smoother than ACS Claws that ZOO! had assembled with.

Very the best freewheel out there. Way to go!

I run a profile hub on my monty and love it, i used to the run the ENO freewheel not the trials version i should add and it was fine but i wanted a few more engagement points also the ripping jeans issue was slightly annoying, I decided to get a profile cost me around 210 in total including wheel build and spokes (got a new rim) which isa fair amount but its sure worth it, for the weight issue i can slighly notice the difference since my ENO weigh next to nothing but its not a problem since the engagement points make up for it. If you can afford it go for it.

EDIT- you can get a 36 hole 12T driver for £140 special offer on wiggle, seems a good deal

Edited by X-Lite_Rider

scott.... take a look around some clothes shops!

sum shops sell stuff u wudnt believe...i got dragged in "PRIMARK" the other day in huddersfield kickin and screamin...and when i got in there found the hottest combats i ever seen!!

Real thick material... high quality....(not cheap crap) combats... for £8 a pair... so i bought 3 pairs..dark blue, olive green and like a stone colour.

the best bit is the bottom zips off turning each pair in to the best 3 quarter length trousers i ever seen..im serious..they are MINT..proper urban street rider stuff!!!

great for summer and mixed with a set of 661 shin pads...become they ideal for any weather rides....impossible to get them caught..i tried.

so go on the look for bike wear bargins...and consider all shops!!

(well most!) have fun mate.

Tom. :) :-

Its one of those difficault questions with no right answer topics huh.

If you are weight consious Id go with the eno, 72 engagemnts after all rolling your socks up is hardly very hard and surely worth the hassle for the performace of the eno.

If you want a reliable, super strong set up Id go with the profile. I had one it skipped for the first few weeks then was super perfect ever since. It weighs around 500grams.

Both are fully serviable so no prob there.

You get the same engagements from both when you work out the effective engagment points of both so thats no an issue.

I would go with the profile becasu im not concerned too mcuh about weight.

I luckily have the best of both worlds (hint hint).

I used to run an acs claw, but i got throug them like there was no tomorow, my friends had the same problem, they got enos and i got a profile...well a few months on the enos are falling apart and one needs replacing and my profile is running great, and im no mechanic, its requires almost no sevicing and has never skipped, front freewheels have to take alot more abuse and therefore wont last as long, its worth spending the extra and gettin a profile that will last forever imo.

I used to run an acs claw, but i got throug them like there was no tomorow, my friends had the same problem, they got enos and i got a profile...well  a few months on the enos are falling apart and one needs replacing and my profile is running great, and im no mechanic, its requires almost no sevicing and has never skipped, front freewheels have to take alot more abuse and therefore wont last as long, its worth spending the extra and gettin a profile that will last forever imo.

Rick, stop talking out your bottom, my ENO is fine, as is guys, You have only had your profile a month, so you cant really compare life from that. Never skipped? It skipped all the time you willy. Anyway, back on subject, ENO's are good but profile is the better option, as it will last longer.

Which do you prefer?

White Industries ENO freewheel, 72 click, £85ish (?) (but trousers have to be rolled up to avoid being ripped, so u look like a gimp, plus I will have to buy a fixed rear hub instead on my new rear wheel (probs aroun £35)) so total cost £120

or

Profile mini cassette rear hub, 48 click, as used by quite a few people so seems relaible, £135ish (?) plus screw on cog needed for cranks, so another £20 makes total cost £155

Who here rides with a profile rear hub, and how do they find them? Is the extra weight noticable? Have either ENO users or Profile users had any problems or anything?

Cheers,

Scott

Go for the eno use one myself it is fully serviceable I replaced the pawls in mine straight away after having a skip that was 6months ago a lifetime interms of freewheel life also all spares are available

profiles are good but there are problems like the rachet inside unthreading at start

the sealed bearings go quick other than that they are quite good and some people have no problems at all

freewheels come and go this is the best I have had in 6years

check out www.bikedock.com

both are instock profile and eno also echo fixed wheels hubs etc

email trials@bikedock for more info

hope this helps

Rick, stop talking out your bottom, my ENO is fine, as is guys, You have only had your profile a month, so you cant really compare life from that. Never skipped? It skipped all the time you willy. Anyway, back on subject, ENO's are good but profile is the better option, as it will last longer.

your eno is skipping all the time and has started to make a stranged pitch click, guys has fallen apart like more than 2 times now, whats gone wrong with my profile??? and the reason i didnt lerch for while on it may have had something to do with bedding it in? :)

You get the same engagements from both when you work out the effective engagment points of both so thats no an issue

Care to write down those calculations?

If it were me, I'd go for the Profile, yes it's costing you £40 more, which is alot of money for something which engages less, but you won't notice the difference, going from my bike to a Zoo Python with a Profile, it seemed fine, ok, there was a tiny difference, but it's completely solid, and will not let you down.

Weight wise, I don't think you'd notice it so much when actually riding :)