How Often Do You Ride?

philth

On adverage how often do you ride trials? (not like to work or school)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. On adverage how often do you ride trials? (not like to work or school)

• Everyday
    • Every other day
    • Twice a week
    • Once a week
    • Or less than any of the above

Old thread, I know, but timeless like a diamond.

My rides used to be 2-3 hours long a time, but my body would ache the next day that I always had to leave several days in between rides to fully recover. Recently I've switched shorter daily rides, 45-60 minutes . I find this works better and because I don't overdo it I am always in the mood for trials, in fact if I don't ride one day it feels awkward.

Another thing is what Joe_Elding above describes as "working-bike days". If you have more non-working-bike days than working-bike days something's wrong with your bike. If your bike is unreliable you will have no confidence and your riding will not improve. HS33s for me have undermined my confidence for many years (slipping, need for constant maintenance before, during and after every f*cking ride, seat stay flex, etc). Maggies have been the most inconvenient brake set up I've ever used. Since I switched to BB7 my confidence has gone through the roof because they are 100% reliable, and require hardly any servicing (I haven't touched mine for the past 6 months and they continue to work consistently).

Finally, one other thing that made a big difference to the frequency of my rides, for me at least, was getting the right size grips. My fingers are very long and with ultra-thin grips I used to get very bad flappers, forcing me to stop riding for a week sometimes longer. Later on I decided to try different grips and I went through several models of varying shape, thickness, density and stiffness. Eventually I figured out that the culprit was that the grip diameter was too small for my hands; since I got thicker and slightly ergonomic grips I hardly get any calluses let alone flappers and my hands are always ready for the next ride. I've heard many riders talk shit about ergonomics grips but they have worked for me. As an added benefit, they are easy to remove with an allen key unlike thin foam grips, and don't spin around, again unlike foam grips.

Once you've got a low-maintenance set-up that suits your anatomy you'll be riding every single day and enjoy every minute, because you'll be focusing on the FUN not the pain and the maintenance.

My bike requires next to zero maintenance, I occasionally ride to pubs in summer and work when the Mrs has the car in more recent times, otherwise I never ride bikes, I'm literally here to read about cars and find out which Tinder whore gets aids first.

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 2