Stripped Your B/b Shell?

If you have stripped your bottom bracket shell, and there is no way what so ever to tighten the BB into the frame, well, buy a really good (going to last a very long time) bottom bracket (upgrade to ISIS if you have square taper at this point) then go to your local hell frauds and buy some "Araldite" bonding glue, then mixx the glue together and put loads into your BB shell, then put the bottom bracket in and leave for atleast 10-24 hours before riding.... then there you go, a BB that will NEVER come loose!

Note, you might never get the BB out again! (Y) :)

well, really most top spec cranks i.e tensile, zoo, middleburn ect, are ISIS, so if you already have square taper cranks, you may want to upgrade to these cranks ASAP so you dont have to try and get out your square taper one when you want to upgrade (Y) :P :)

EDIT: just thought id say iv never had good experiences with square taper!! ATALL!! lol

Edited by terror-error

Almost everyone in my area runs square taper, and has done for years with no problems at all.... shit I even run it on my BMX, and it's mint.

Another option is to buy some three piece cranks with euro size push in bearings, and tap them in.... bodgomatic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Would be pretty easy to get it out of the frame really....

I recons that if you clamped the bb cup in a vice and then twisted the frame from the headtube (lots of leverage) you would be able to free it, as the two part epoxy adhesive is probably pretty poor when large shering forces are applied to it...

But yeh, why not bodge an old knackered frame for a little bit of a life extention..

I really should get some pictures of what is holding my bottom bracket in.

Imagine something like this:

...--------

...|****|

...|****|

...|****|

../*****\

..|*......*|

..|*......*|

..\*****/

...|****|

...|****|

...|****|

...--------

So that hole in the middle the axle goes through. then where the circle ends, it bends at 90 degrees. So there are two of those, one for each side of the BB.

Then rivited to each peice is a kind of nut and bolt type mechanism. then the two pieces meet from each side of the bottom bracket and bolts together.

It does a really good job (the araldite job I did came loose :S). It's made from aircraft grade aluminium and constructed very well by my friend Dave works in an airfield. It's taken a severe beating so far without any problems and there is absoluetely no play in it!

Certainly saved me from forking out for a new frame :P

Edited by Spode

bodges are just the final resort, you could just as easily buy a cheap £80 frame to get you buy for a few months... (never know you might get used to it and prefere it, like my mate did with B'cuda frames)

SQ bb's are total crap.... *snapped 9 £25 BB's in 2 month :P :- :) * 3pc DMRs all the way !! :-

bodges are just the final resort, you could just as easily buy a cheap £80 frame to get you buy for a few months... (never know you might get used to it and prefere it, like my mate did with B'cuda frames)

SQ bb's are total crap.... *snapped 9 £25 BB's in 2 month :P :- :) * 3pc DMRs all the way !! :-

How many cheap mod frames can you buy for £80? and when you have just spent £420 on a brand new T-pro 05 and then the BB flys to one side when riding :P you dont have the money to buy one...