Stripped Your B/b Shell?

My own fault that the axels snap...

i'm talking about it being square taper as opposed to spline, rather than square taper as an axle.

aiming my post at people who seem to think square tapers round, creek and f**k up... That is then their fault.

john

• 3 weeks later...

Mee too :D love square taper, so much easier to ride with.

You cant tell the diffrence? lol

Anyways, ok then, you can have a square taper or any BB you like, just if your skint and dont like to spend money, it works, it hasnt failed for me yet, and its lasted since april.. without having to remove the BB aswell... so im loving it (Y)

You could just buy a threadless bottom bracket.

They're shit. Fact. They Snap bigtime. And hardly stay in. If you tighten them enough to stay in, they snap. So that's a pointless thing to look into ;)

Stop having a go at Rob! It's a good topic :]

If you want to run ST then run it. People like it, some don't. Whatever.

I've got Square Taper in but it makes f**k all difference to me to be quite honest. Good idea and Good topic in my opinion :)

They're shit. Fact. They Snap bigtime. And hardly stay in. If you tighten them enough to stay in, they snap. So that's a pointless thing to look into ;)

Stop having a go at Rob! It's a good topic :]

If you want to run ST then run it. People like it, some don't. Whatever.

I've got Square Taper in but it makes f**k all difference to me to be quite honest. Good idea and Good topic in my opinion :)

Thanks nick mate, :)

Thanks for the encouragment in the idea mate (Y)

what i did is:

1. get a thin hollow cylinder of alu or whatever from school.

2.araldite that in.

3. get a bikeshop/mate to tap the metal sheet.

4. then screw the bb in normally, it works just aswell and means you dont need a new BB when you get a new frame, 'tis just a lot more hassle.

what i did is:

1. get a thin hollow cylinder of alu or whatever from school.

2.araldite that in.

4. then screw the bb in normally, it works just aswell and means you dont need a new BB when you get a new frame, 'tis just a lot more hassle.

The BB wouldn't fit though, becuase the BB shell would be slightly snmaller, so it wouldn't fit in :S

Unless i've misunderstood...

The BB wouldn't fit though, becuase the BB shell would be slightly snmaller, so it wouldn't fit in :S

(Y)

It sounds much more hassle than just getting a new BB when/if you buy a new from...

Maybe your idea would work, but takes ALOT more time and effort, and it might not work in the end?

Are you forsure it will last longer than my idea (before you start coming out with) "ahhh yeahhh, i dunz it in 2003 manzzzz, so itz gonna last longa!!!!!111"

by thin sheet i literally mean coke can thin, it fitted fine for me as it was sort of like an internal thread going like this:

_ _ _ if you get me rather than thread like this: _/\_/\_

\/ \/

• 1 month later...

Hey, I did this to my frame a while ago, i used JB Weld (a cold weld) and i have have no problems, it has been in there for over a year, and not a sign of a single probelm. even the bearing are feeling new. The BB is the Truvativ Giga Pipe TEAM DH, it has 2 sealed bearings on both side, so 4 sets of bearins total!

Hey, I did this to my frame a while ago, i used JB Weld (a cold weld) and i have have no problems, it has been in there for over a year, and not a sign of a single probelm. even the bearing are feeling new. The BB is the Truvativ Giga Pipe TEAM DH, it has 2 sealed bearings on both side, so 4 sets of bearins total!

if you need help doing it, PM me

• 9 months later...

If you are just too in love with your old frame to bodge it and weight for its eventual death just make it good as new:

The non-bodged permanent repair way

Its "Ream and sleeve bottom bracket (thread replacement both sides)" 2 3rds of the way down the braze on parts list, costs £55 and is in no way a bodge, they mill out your bottom bracket shell slightly, then fix in a new sleeve of metal to bring it back to the original size, then re-thread the new material, providing a like new bottom bracket. Argos Racing Cycles are a large Bristol based well respected company, who you may recognise from MBUK constantly recommending them to people in grime-time.

Of coarse there's always the best thing, which is not to strip it in the first place! just be careful fitting the bottom bracket and grease it up plenty.