Fish In A Box?

Lewis Poyntontrials.com

I've just got myself a 3ft fish tank and some oradas to go in it (those fancy fantailed goldfish) and so have been reading up on fish and came across this site:

http://www.aquababies.com/about_aquababies.htm

There are loads of sites protesting against them. Not sure about the fish but I think its harsh on the frogs because they can't even strech their legs because of the size of the 'tanks'.

petition agains it

more stuff against them

Has any one seen these in the UK and do you think their cruel or not?

Lewis :'(

Not sure really,

i wouldn't say it was crewl becasue after all, it's just fish, people have kept them in bowls forever pretty much.

however i wouldn't see the point. It would be boring as hell to have a tiny little fish tank with like two fish. Might as-well do it properly and get a big one which gives you something to look at.

As for the frogs :'( firstly, why would anyone want a pet frog?? and secondy, surley the frog couln't live in water indeffinatly, so it would surely just escape, or drown.

I think its the fact that the fish will suffer loads because its in water that will get poluted because there is no filter in it. And to try and keep the water better so the fish survives they only recomend the fish is fed very rarly so its close to starving alot of the time.

The frogs are special ones which can live under water but by the time a plant has been put in the box they can't even stretch their legs.

They also sell crabs :'(

It organinates in america which says alot really. They just impulse bought them along with mints at the checkout in wallmart.

To quote green peace:

These little boxes that are at the register at the impulse area are for people without a heart. If you have any biology background, youll know that a self contained ecosystem is near impossible. There is just a fishy or three in a box. Supposedly the fish are supposed to live and be healthy with 360 degrees of clear plastic, very little care they insist is needed, and they stick frogs, snails and fish in a plastic box and basically seal their death. This is cruelty to animals and it needs to be stopped. Ask any fishkeeper will tell you that this is not right and if you search anti aquababies, you will find many many people are against the things and I personally as well as others think they need to go.

also see: http://forums.fishinex.com/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/000785.html

Looks like this is why I have not seen them in any shops...

CAPS ARCHIVE

Aquababies set precedent

A combined effort by CAPS and Animal Aid has ensured that no UK shopping centre any longer sells Aquababies - fish in confined perspex cubes of just over four inches. CAPS have always stated that the sale of Aquababies in shopping centres is illegal as the 1951 Pet Animals Act prohibits the sale of pet animals in public places. It was under this legislation that CAPS and Animal Aid have stopped reptile fayres around the country.

Some shopping centres stopped the sale of Aquababies when contacted by CAPS, but they continued to be sold at Manchester's Trafford Shopping Centre after Trafford Borough Council issued the stall-holder with a Pet Shop licence. However, the council refused to re-issue the licence and a court case ensued.

A court hearing in June ruled that the Trafford Centre was indeed a public place and therefore the sale of animals was illegal.

This case has now set a precedent that animal protection groups can use constructively and prevent animals elsewhere being sold in similar circumstances.

Each perspex cube contains coloured gravel, a plant and one or two live fish. Manufacturer instructions include feeding a small pinch of food once daily or every other day through a tiny hole in the top of the cube, via the tip of a wet toothpick.

CAPS and Animal Aid have also halted the sale of Aquababies at shopping centres in the following locations: Nottingham, Solihull, Leeds, Liverpool, Swindon, Tunbridge Wells, Derby and Dartford. The Trafford Centre was the last remaining outlet for sales of Aquababies in the UK.

Hey, There is the fact of the pollution but i think they are trying to say how small the tank is.:'(

As for the fish, they only have a 3 second memory so they think its a new place every 3 seconds so they dont get bored.

Why the hell would you want a pet frog :P

Thats crewl though, i think

cheers andy

Edited by squince

Surely if you took good care of the fish, cleaned them out regularly and gave it a descent sized tank then it wouldn't be cruel.

Yeah but the whole point of this is that you are meant to keep them in those little boxes indefinetly. Thats why there has been outcry.

If you keep the frogs in a 2 or 3 gallon tank and clean it out they will be happy but the manufactorers of these tell people the frogs are fine to live in these their whole life where they can not move about.

As long as they're cleaned out 50% water change weekly at least, using appropriate water and making sure the fish/frogs etc aren't' going to need anything bigger to live in, it "should be fine"

If you cleaned them out 4 times a year the amount of ammonia/nitrite/nitrates would be innormous and would be poisoning the fish real bad.

Oh and as long as the tanks aren't' over stocked aswel, it should be alright.

Personally i would never buy one as i do think its unfair :'( but o'well i suppose fighting fish do get kept in 4"x4"x4" tanks or just mugs of water, so its better than that.

thats just damn sick and disgraceful!!! I say shoot the people doing that!

Edited by *OnzaMike*

This probably has nothing to do with what you're on about but it's quite a handy little fact.

The Standard fish bowl actually gives your fish a shorter lifespan because it doesn't let enough oxygen in because the middle of the bowl is wider then the top, so not enough oxygen gets it to keep you fish alive.

(or something along those lines...I think it was on TV few weeks back)

Aquabbaies is basiacallky a bull shit term.

There just small tropical fish posted up there, minnows etc.

Really you need to clean em every 2 months at least and need a heater and filter.

get tropicals instead of fan tailed goldfish,they really are boring ive owned many different species and would say cichluids are very nice and you can keep em with catfish :)

with tropical theyll react with you and eat in front of you, and are very colourful etc.

Cold water just laze about and will lose there novelty very fast.

Go tropical it aint expensive at all (Y)

My orandas are quite fun to watch now they have settled in and will feed food off my fingers. Problems with tropical fish is illness etc. happen much faster because of the walm water so its best to start with coldwater and then move to tropical when you are more experienced which is what i will probs do. I'd love an oscar one day. :)"