Super Fat Rear Rims

the_soon_to_be

the rims that I made I removed the inner walls then got them welded together, but as was said the heat softened the metal defeting the purpose of having it done in the first place. If it was just tacked, then I recken it would be ok.

has he cut the sidewalls off? how does he not get a puncture :-

NICE HUGE tyre I carn't remember the make , and parcle tape used as rim tape so it covers bouth rims also a DH tube, but if all goes to plan and the rim is stronge enoufgh he will be running tubless so no need to worry about punctures.

The thing is it looks a bugger to lace glad I didunt have to do it .

Anyone thinking of doing it I would reccomend getting the right legnth bolts and not having to cut them down as it took us hours cutting and fileing :- .

Sam

Edited by samthebiker

Yeah, mins is indeed a Mavic XC717 and an XM719 (517 and 519 to the oldies :-) bolted together with 16 3mm bolts.

Drilling was very simple, just get it in the small area where the sidewalls are vertical n the inside. Whack the bolts in, with a bit of superglue on.

It's 46.2mm wide, and of course grinds like a beast. Definately much better and quicker than welding/tacking it. :-

I use a big ass DH (Mitchelin) inner tube, as well as loads of talcum powder, and lots of paper and gaffa tape over the "inner" sidewalls, aswell as a 1.5kg Swalbe Al Mighty tyre.

The rim weighs about 920g, and the whole wheel near 4kg :">

When my Maxxis Minion, 2.35", 42a, SINGLE Ply tyre comes (850g), I'll be running tubeless, and so will save nearly a kilogram, so will be more sensible!

Definately worth the small effort involved.

Mike.

Pete asked me to post this for him, as he's not validated.

*Peter's bikecycle*

:-

Hmm... That bike looks like it's be awesome to ride... :-

Anyways, maybe Mavic will see the need for this wonder-rim and srtart producing them for little monies.

Maybe.

the rims that I made I removed the inner walls then got them welded together, but as was said the heat softened the metal defeting the purpose of having it done in the first place. If it was just tacked, then I recken it would be ok.

Go get it normalised and your sorted, you heat it up you can return it the way it was or you can make it harder if you want, it depends how you do it, so welding it would be fine, but it would need some heat treatment proccess afterwards and taking it to a heat treatment plant and gettting it done is very cheap.

Phil.