Mine And Are-em's Secret Plan Unveiled

PaRtZ

OK It started as one of those "it would be cool if...." ideas. But me and Rob thought we could actually do it, as that would be cooler

The idea was to use CLEAR magura hosing instead of black hosing. Why? Well cos it'd look really cool for a start but it had a reason too : You could see if there was any air in your system.

Anyway we went to halfords and found some 3.2mm washer hose for £2.99 Got home and started doing the front brake with it. We put the olives + shroud nuts on and began to bleed it. Oh yes that reminds me:

RIBENA IS CRAP FOR BLEEDING - THE CONCENTRATE HAS AIR ALREADY IN IT

...so the first attempt was crap

Then I tried again the next day and made a new hose. I bled it with just water and for some reason the slaves cylinders were returning really slowly. The cause was the hole in the tub somehow had closed so i drilled it out and put it back in again

SUCCESS!!

gallery_6800_896_40740.jpg

gallery_6800_896_11538.jpg

As you can see I actually bled it with some monty hydraulic fluid :)

However....Its really spongy. The way I bled this was to submerge the end slave in the fluid and the suck all the air out of the system from the elver end with a syringe. Think of it as "pulling the fluid through the system" Then once no air was left, I put the bolts back in and put it on my bike and it was pretty shit :- :-

This is where I need help. Is there something special about magura hosing that is different to most hosing? or should I just re-bleed it the old fashioned way to fix it?

Anyway hope you enjoy, and hope this encourages you all to do it! :P

P.S. the patent is on the way :o lol

That is a really cool idea, and it looks sweet.

I dont know how to solve your problem though. I would just bleed it the proper way and give it a chance to break in :-

Maybe the inner diameter makes a difference?? :-

That is a really cool idea, and it looks sweet.

I dont know how to solve your problem though. I would just bleed it the proper way and give it a chance to break in :-

Maybe the inner diameter makes a difference?? :-

I believe the inner diameter is larger...so the sidewalls are thinner allowing the liquid to push out against it? :)

Anyway we went to halfords and found some 3.2mm washer hose for £2.99

Washer hose? As in car windscreen washers?

If so I think the hose isn't heavy duty enough for maguras. From my experience it's pretty flexy stuff. The pressure could be causing the hose to expand once the brake is locked on whioch would give it a spongey feel.

I could be totally wrong but it's just a thought...

Washer hose? As in car windscreen washers?

If so I think the hose isn't heavy duty enough for maguras.  From my experience it's pretty flexy stuff.  The pressure could be causing the hose to expand once the brake is locked on whioch would give it a spongey feel.

I could be totally wrong but it's just a thought...

it is quite flexy and i think it is expanding due to the pressure

Does anyone know where I can get clear magura hosing from?

i belive that the magura hose is tested to a silly p.s.i. and as that is only for washer fluid then as the pressure builds in the hose as you squeeze the brake the fluid will expande in the hose rather than be forced down to the cylinder, therefore meaning the brake will always be spongey

gaz....

cool idea though

HEY!!! THIS IS MY IDEA LOL......ye we tried it with ribina to get a pink colour, then if you get thirsty after a long ride you can jus drink your brake fluid :- !! we thought about the food colouring idea too, but we didnt have any food colouring :-

Rob

As already said, the hose is too flexible for this sort of use. You will need a really tough hose and it is unlikely that you will find a suitable one in clear as clear materials have no carbon content which makes plastic harder. This is the same as why you don't get clear tyres - the rubber would be so sorf, they would where as quick a cheese.

As already said, the hose is too flexible for this sort of use.  You will need a really tough hose and it is unlikely that you will find a suitable one in clear as clear materials have no carbon content which makes plastic harder.  This is the same as why you don't get clear tyres - the rubber would be so sorf, they would where as quick a cheese.

well, i had a crossover pipe that was completely clear, and ive seen it on other peoples bikes...

didnt feel spongey :-