Bmx Question About Platinum Ox Tubiung

Michael Hardman

My new frame arrived and its made of platinum ox tubing now I bought the unpainted one as it was cheaper and I could paint it what ever colour i choose. Problem is I like the colour of bare metal but Im not sure if I have to paint it. I dont know if it will rust as im not sure if its made of 4130 and then had something done to it to prevent rust.

Any ideas, I want to leave it bare but I dont want it rusting on me.

Frame does have a lifetime warrenty so maybe it will be covered.

Some help form the metal experts please the bmx forum is a bit quiet now

I found this

OX Platinum is a proprietary superthermophillic (heat-loving) alloy, developed in partnership with the U.S. Steel Alliance. The composition of Chromium, Molybdenum, and Vanadium with an unprecedented 217 ksi ultimate tensile strength makes this alloy actually gain strength through a metallurgical transformation in the heat-affected zone as a result of welding or brazing. OX Platinum is highly temper-resistant, resulting in an 11% increase in fatigue life and a 20% increase in impact strength over the competition. The increased mechanical properties of OX Platinum allow for incredibly strong, yet lightweight frame designs with that legendary feel of steel ride quality.

I take it from that this tubing is an alloy and therefore doesnt need painting, if this is the case Im so happy.

Im no expert when it comes to metal properties.

If you don't want to paint it, Mike, just laquer it! You've just gotta give it a protective layer, and laquer will do that, so just laquer the chappy :-

Good frame choice all the same, and bare frames look the sex - my brother's stripped and clear-coated his Stricker, and it looks *amazing*...

Well, just pure steel, carbon and iron could be termed a compound since it contains only one metalic element (although this is not strictly true because the carbon atoms aren't actually physically bonded to the iron but sit between the iron atoms). However chromium molybdenum steel could be considered an alloy since it contains more than one metal. :-

Dan

Edited by D-L-B

If you don't want to paint it, Mike, just laquer it!  You've just gotta give it a protective layer, and laquer will do that, so just laquer the chappy :-

Good frame choice all the same, and bare frames look the sex - my brother's stripped and clear-coated his Stricker, and it looks *amazing*...

Ive started painting it the usual and boring gloss black and its looking very shiny right now.

Im thinking 5 coats of paint will be enough

Why lacquer, the paint is gloss? Best way to get a good finish is to cut back and polish the top coat.

I think mark was on about if I left it bare metal finish but it does look much better now and its actually come out with a super shiny finish.

I was going to put lacquer on to protect the paintwork.

If the lacquer protects the paint, what protects the lacquer? They're quite similar... polish protects paint. Whatever, it's a trivial point, sure it'll look nice either way.

The laquer dries a lot more solid and knock resistant than the paint, hence the reason for using it :P

Well, just pure steel, carbon and iron should be termed a compound since it contains only one metalic element (although this is not strictly true because the carbon atoms aren't actually physically bonded to the iron but sit between the iron atoms). However chromium molybdenum steel could be considered an alloy since it contains more than one metal. :P

Dan

Check out the brain on Danny!