Bmx Question About Platinum Ox Tubiung

Michael Hardman

Had a little mishap - got finger prints and other bits on the paintwork so Im having to take the stickers off and sand it down again then repaint. Wont be done til the weekend oh well.

The stickers arent a big deal I didnt like them anyway.

No wait I managed to sort the problem out, saned the shit bits down and going to mask everything off 2morra for painting when everyrthings properly dried

Edited by Michael Hardman

Well, just pure steel, carbon and iron could be termed a compound since it contains only one metalic element (although this is not strictly true because the carbon atoms aren't actually physically bonded to the iron but sit between the iron atoms). However chromium molybdenum steel could be considered an alloy since it contains more than one metal. :(

Dan

Don't be put off by The Chemist's snazzy words Luke, he may very well be wrong...

Compound: "a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight"

Wrong how? The forces holding the carbon and iron atoms together, although not a chemical bond, are stronger than some weaker chemical bonds found in other compounds. Thus, as I said above, it's terming as a compound isn't strictly true. However it is generally accepted by many that it is acceptable to consider it so, since it behaves very much like a compound in that in order to separate the 'mixture' it is necessary to put it through a chemical process, rather than just being able to physically separate it.

Dan

A 'little' knowledge is a dangerous thing

Edited by D-L-B

A 'little' knowledge is a dangerous thing

Consequently I think you should stick to hospital stuff.

"Carbon is the single most important alloying element in steel."

And so mild steel could be 'roughly generally possibly if I like' considered to be an alloy.

Dictionary says...

Steel: "An alloy of iron with small amounts of carbon"

I think steel is actually a suspension, since the carbon is suspended in an iron matrix.

The University of North Carolina Charlotte Department of Chemistry, does, however, define 'steel' as a solution, which is understandable since the elements are not chemically bonded.

Edited by snappel

Consequently I think you should stick to hospital stuff.

"Carbon is the single most important alloying element in steel."

And so mild steel could be 'roughly generally possibly if I like' considered to be an alloy.

Dictionary says...

Steel: "An alloy of iron with small amounts of carbon"

I think steel is actually a suspension, since the carbon is suspended in an iron matrix.

The University of North Carolina Charlotte Department of Chemistry, does, however, define 'steel' as a solution, which is understandable since the elements are not chemically bonded.

One can often fall foul when relying on internet searches as their only source of information.

Last I heard the dictionary wasn't considered a well known source of scientific terms, more a literary interpretation of an ever evolving language often open to reinterpretation and corrections.