Locking Out Mechs.

Luke_bradley

I have never locked out a mech before or had a mate who has done it. I want to buy a mech very soon so i can lock it out. What is the easiest and best mech to lock out?

Also with some tensioners you can move the arm with the wheel on across to selsect a different gear. Could i do this with a locked out mech 'cus then i would be able to select a harder gear for riding places.

Cheers(y)

Luke

To select a gear you can use a small length of cable or a spoke in the normal cable hole and adjust it to your needs.

I don't see why people bother doing that, when you can simply screw the limit screw in to hold the mech in place. Much simpler and less fiddly. If the bolt isn't long enough (i.e. your sprocket is way over near the spokes), then get a longer bolt.

i found that the best way of locking out the mech is to take off the circlip, take out the metal plate witht the tensioner screw, take off the black plastic washer, take out the spring, now put a magura washer that normally goes on to your v-brake mounts then finally put the circlip back on.

now put the mech on and tighten it up nice and tight so it doesn't move

i did mine this way and i still get 6 gears to work properly

i have a shimano 105 short cage mech by the way, they're about 30 pound and pretty solid

i found that the best way of locking out the mech is to take off the circlip, take out the metal plate witht the tensioner screw, take off the black plastic washer, take out the spring, now put a magura washer that normally goes on to your v-brake mounts then finally put the circlip back on.

now put the mech on and tighten it up nice and tight so it doesn't move

i did mine this way and i still get 6 gears to work properly

i have a shimano 105 short cage mech by the way, they're about 30 pound and pretty solid

Thats exactly how i did it, but with a sora mech. Easiest way in my opinion. All my mates did it like that too. (Y)

I don't see why people bother doing that, when you can simply screw the limit screw in to hold the mech in place.  Much simpler and less fiddly.  If the bolt isn't long enough (i.e. your sprocket is way over near the spokes), then get a longer bolt.

I tried doing that and got a longer bolt, but the way the limit screw works means you can only adjust it so far. Using a bit of cable means you can adjust the whole range of the mech (Y)

I tried doing that and got a longer bolt, but the way the limit screw works means you can only adjust it so far.  Using a bit of cable means you can adjust the whole range of the mech (Y)

Guess it depends on the mech and how far is needs to move then. But certainly worth a try.

Anyone got any ideas how I can add a 2nd hard gear, 12/13t etc to my freehub?

My mech is pretty battered, so I can't get the barrel adjuster to screw back in where the cable goes, if that makes sense, and at the moment its just held in posisition with the H/L limit screws.

I really dont know how..and i need some extra speed..

Also with some tensioners you can move the arm with the wheel on across to selsect a different gear. Could i do this with a locked out mech 'cus then i would be able to select a harder gear  for riding places.

The issue with the tensioner is not whether you can move the jockey wheel, it's whether it'll take up enough slack. If you have it set up nice for an 18t sprocket, you'll have way too much slack if you want to use an 11t. It basically won't work I'm afraid.